Emx77

AACW2 - First map screenshot

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:51 pm

First screnshoot of AACW2 map art is released. What do yo think?

I like it, but it looks a little bit sterile, compared to old hand drawn map. However, it is still far better than maps in most strategy games.

Highlandcharge

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Just out of interest, where did you get this screenshot?

Emx77

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Highlandcharge wrote:Just out of interest, where did you get this screenshot?

Forum > General information > News from AGEod > The Historicon Recap: Part Two

Highlandcharge

Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:43 pm

I have been playing Ageod games for about 5 years, I have to say I am disappointed in the map, it seems way to bland compared to all the other maps in past ageod titles, which I believe really add to the atmosphere of the period they are set in... it looks like the PON engine.

Also it looks like they are a lot less regions than in the first AACW...less room for maneuver and strategy..

Anybody else got any thoughts?

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Of all the AGEOD games I like the ROP map best.

I am afraid in my opinion a historical style fits the abstraction level of AGEOD much better than this realism.

Gen.DixonS.Miles
Captain

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 am

I have always been an avid player of AGEOD and have experience all they have had to offer thus far and I have to concur with the above of Erik Springelkamp. To me the old "busy" look still strikes a chord in me as if I was looking at a real map from the period somewhat.

PhilThib

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:15 pm

This screenshot is totally inaccurate...it's a mockup design used long long ago... ;)

Highlandcharge

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:18 pm

phew!! thank god for that, I half thought it was a joke when I seen it last night :mdr:

Not anywhere near the quality of the maps made for ageod game's...

Hey Philthib how about a real screenshot of the map just to lift our spirits :D

planefinder
Lieutenant

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:44 pm

PhilThib wrote:This screenshot is totally inaccurate...it's a mockup design used long long ago... ;)

Thank goodness for that. I saw the screenshot on the Slitherine Historicon wrap-up as well and my heart sank. There's just no connection to the period and beyond that, the existing AACW map provides considerably more relevant detail. My other concern was that the provinces were much too large. That size might work out West, or if you want the game to be much more strategic vs. operational, but you're going to need many more provinces in Virginia if you want to have meaningful room to maneuver.

Ol' Choctaw

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Hinkel wrote:Hey guys,

since I did not see any thread yet, Ageod seems to work on American Civil War 2.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21346[/ATTACH]

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27897-Ageod-American-Civil-War-2!&highlight=ACW2+map

Is this what you wanted to see?

It has been around for a while, and while it is not a screen shot, it is the map, or close to it.

Highlandcharge

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks, I have seen that one before, I was looking for a more recent screen shot of the map close in :thumbsup:

Gen.DixonS.Miles
Captain

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Good news indeed!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:22 pm

PhilThib wrote:This screenshot is totally inaccurate...it's a mockup design used long long ago... ;)

Good. I was scratching my head why it still had the old portraits, and not the new ones.

It still doesn't look bad actually. I was just confused by the map graphics from PoN, the lack of railways and the simpified controls.

Justus2
Conscript

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:23 am

Interesting, so release is scheduled for Sep 2013. One thing I noticed is the ability to drag/drop your newly built units into available regions, instead of the random ones now (like brigades in Buffalo or gunboats in Philly instead of Pittsburg). That alone is a nice improvement!

Ol' Choctaw

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:23 pm

I think this narrows it down a little more: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1256

But yes, good stuff.

I see some gamers, as ever, have a negative impression from the games looks. Kind of like people who don’t like some foods because of their color.

I think it looks good and the art work is great. It may resemble the other AGE games because it uses the AGE engine. So what?

It does not look like ACW because it is a somewhat different game with new options and a new look. Did everyone just want ACW 1 dressed up and remarketed without changes?

Highlandcharge

Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:32 pm

I think it looks good, very different from the old AACW, I think people including me have played the the old AACW to death and get stuck in there ways... :p apy: hence the negative impressions from some people....

Are there any newer features on top of the ones in the AJE games?

khbynum
Major

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:35 pm

I very much like the new look. I always disliked the elaborate "period" borders around the edges of the screen because of the amount of map they concealed. The new minimalist borders work much better for what, after all, is a wargame, not a picture book. Ditto for the smaller portraits of the leaders on the map and the general reduction of clutter. There seems to be plenty of period artwork on the various interface screens for those who enjoy it and the game-specific art is much improved. The drag-and-drop feature for replacements is a great improvement. A September release is sooner than I had hoped. Bring it on!

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:35 pm

khbynum wrote:I very much like the new look. I always disliked the elaborate "period" borders around the edges of the screen because of the amount of map they concealed. The new minimalist borders work much better for what, after all, is a wargame, not a picture book. Ditto for the smaller portraits of the leaders on the map and the general reduction of clutter. There seems to be plenty of period artwork on the various interface screens for those who enjoy it and the game-specific art is much improved. The drag-and-drop feature for replacements is a great improvement. A September release is sooner than I had hoped. Bring it on!

I think it looks fine, too. I'm not really concerned with how it looks, but how it plays. I think adding extra towns is a big improvement, particularly in the Shenandoah Valley. That was sorely lacking in the last game, IMO.

Also, I like the fact that you can now choose which region your brigades form in. I got sick and tired of raising a VA brigade, only to have it show up in Winchester and immediately get wiped out before it actually formed.

Also #2, I really like the generals portraits, and the unit portraits in general. I love the new province decisions, such as telegraphs, extending railroads, etc.

Now, if the AI plays well, this should be a dang good game!

anjou
Lieutenant

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Honestly, the only thing that concerned me was a comment on how modding will not be like the previous AGEOD titles. Is it possibly for someone to clarify what that means?

Ol' Choctaw

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:38 am

Everything I have seen from the Devs pointed to it being easier to mod.

I don’t know any specifics though. I don’t think you can mod the map much beyond renaming regions and towns, but I could be wrong on that too.

I think they welcome and encourage mods.

Return to “Civil War II”