NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant
Location: Born and raised in Lincolnton,NC, currently living in Honolulu,HI

[CSA] Grand Campaign: Confederate pregame comments

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:53 pm

Hello all

Let me start by saying that I am really excited about this. I think its going to be alot great fun(and some work too). I am going to use this thread to post my thoughts and preperations leading up to the start of the Grand Campaign. Feel free to post any and all comments or questions and I will respond as best I can.

I received a PM from Korrigan this evening notifying me of the roster and tenative start date( this coming monday ) of the GC. He wanted to verify our participation and asked us to think of any special rules that we might want to implement. I fired off a response thanking him for hosting for us and asked a few basic questions about his rules and procedures. As soon as I get a response from him I will post them.

I also made a few starting suggestions as follows
1.A dedicated thread for all for all inter-team discussions about rules and procedures leading up to the game.
Once the game begins:
2.A dedicated thread for each team for their official communications. This thread will be off limits to opposing team.

As far as game rules I suggested the following:
1.Single element militia units of either side are not allowed any offense action, including entering enemy-controlled territory and occupying empty enemy-controlled objective points( towns, forts, harbors, etc. ). They are for garrison duty only. I feel this more realistic and it will also offset the union manpower advantage slightly.
2.Niether side is allowed to relegate crappy army and corps leaders to unactive theaters( no sending Burnsides to California or Hood to southern Florida ). You must use them as intended. This will allow the South to take advantage of its early game generals. This will also offset the Unions numerical advantages.
3.Some decision must be made about inactive leader movement. Maybe they dont move at all, maybe they only move in friendly territory, maybe they only move into one enemy territory per turn, but something must be done. I feel that this is a major issue and will possibly affect play balance more than any other factor.
I forwarded this to my teamates and Rifiki, with a request for him to pass it on to his generals( trying to get into the swing of things ).

Next I contacted my teamates. Hinkel responded quickly and positively and expressed his excitement to me as well. After introductions we discussed a few preperation strategies and tried to decide the best way to communicate privately before the game starts PMs are no longer allowed. I have a good feeling about him and cant wait to see how we work together.

Geronimo was included in the loop as I forwarded all material along with my greeting but unfortunately I have not received a response. I am anxious to hear from him and look forward to having some 3-way discussions about our approach to the game( these early communication problems will help us prepare for the GC ).

Finally I greeted my opponents and wished them luck. This will probably be the only direct communication I have with them concerning the game. Rest of my inter-team comm. will be through the forums.

With that I call it a night.
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

geronimo
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:28 pm

edit: i read wrong first time....so i agree on the single element militia movement
on the other side, i think that limitation on lone leaders is a good idea, considering that in real life, cloaking devices are not yet been invented
[CENTER] The Great Campaign Project [/CENTER]
[CENTER] CSA Western Command [/CENTER]

geronimo
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:07 pm

i am europe time zone (GMT+1)
possibility of having an indisponibility in june of 3 or 4 days

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:13 pm

geronimo wrote:on the other side, i think that limitation on lone leaders is a good idea, considering that in real life, cloaking devices are not yet been invented

Please be more specific, are you agreeing with the proposed rule or are you proposing a new rule on lone leaders?
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

geronimo
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:47 pm

sorry i am ok with the rule as it was proposed by our dear president :niark:

Pocus

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:15 pm

I don't see why you forbid militia to take offensive actions? They are not great in that role, and dollars-wise, you are better in buying regular lines infantry for this job. I don't see any abuse, but this is your call, as this is your game :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Good news to start the day. I finally got in touch with my missing theater commander and hes ready to go! Also we got a teaser from Korrigan about beta testing the new multi-player format when its ready! Cant wait.

Everyones AAR threads are coming along nicely and they look great! My team decided to use the same banner in all of our AARS to give them a team feel. We are also deciding on the maps we will use for official communications.

Sent PMs to my generals outlining what I think our responsibilities and duties should be so Ill give you a brief run down:

1. While I will write orders for overall strategy, actual formulation of the strategy and its implementation is left to them. This will require good in-game communications on all of our parts. I might offer opinions from time to time but will have no direct control of their operations (i.e. I wont order them to take this location or move that army there) They are responsible for fitting their strategy into our overall Grand Strategy. As they will be gaurding each others flanks, effective coordination of goals is paramount.

2.All replacements, reinforcement request and naval support (what little I can offer) come through me and I will make my decisions based on their input. They will have to plan ahead to make sure that they have the neccesary manpower. I will not arbitrarily build a unit just because I think we need it (exception: navy). I will also handle inter-theater transfers (think Longstreet to Tenn.) and expect the commanders to comply with these orders even if one doent neccessarily like it.

3.I will order promotions to army commands only. Actual rank promotions and corps leaders are left to the commander. I will assign new army and division HQs as I see fit based on their requests and recommendations. All rail transport must be approved by me and I will issue orders like "western theater has preference this turn" or "supply considerations prohibit troop movement by rail", etc.

It looks like weve just about agreed on the "gentlemans rules" we will follow and they seem to be simple and effective. I have complete trust in all players to use good gamesmanship and really dont forsee any issues regarding this.

Only a couple of days untill turn 1!!! I would really like to discuss our opening strategy here but that will have to wait till the AARs :sourcil: Also this thread will be deleted once the game begins.

More to come.
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:03 pm

Well we've worked out our opening strategy and I think it is a sound plan. My generals should be able to keep them guessing and we will be taking early advantage of our two best assets: The quality of our field officers and our interior lines of communication. I think we have a good shot and if we can make the war costly enough for the Union we can pull out a victory. But it want be easy.

No one responded to my rules update post so I will go on the assumption that they are as I stated. I hope Korrigan gives us a definite list before we kick-off. As to the start time, Korrigan PMed and said whenever we are ready to check in with him and we will start. However one of my generals will be unavailable untill monday, so it looks like that will be the day.

So, I am about as ready as I can be on my end (my generals prep time will be much more involved I imagine) and I will spend the rest of my time prior to start preparing my AAR. Ive been down loading and organizing lots of images and maps to use, and Ive been working on some standard blank orders forms to use in our War Room when the time comes. Ive also been doing some heavy research into Pres. Davis and his cabinet members (see my AAR: A History of the War for Southern Independence) and have learned alot of things I didn't know or only had passing knowledge on. They were an interesting group of gentlemen to say the least.

Well thats it. This will probably be my last post here before we start and I've enjoyed updating you as to some of our processes. And remember, feedback from the community on this project not only rewards us for our hard work, but also encourages us to work even harder. Support the Grand Campaign forum and all of AGEOD's forums, and if your not a member yet, why not?

Thanks everyone. Enjoy the Grand Campaign.
John

geronimo
Sergeant

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:42 pm

what is our turn round ? who plays first, second third?

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:31 am

Geronimo 1st, Hinkel 2nd, NewAgeNapolean 3rd

geronimo
Sergeant

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:57 am

i talked with hinkel ..he is playing first and me second

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:18 am

Thats fine.

Return to “Grand Campaign I (archive)”