Leibst

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:29 pm

To do that Reg decision seems an interesting idea imo to simulate that effect.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Altaris

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:29 am

Assuming no major bugs pop up, I plan to release a first version of this over the weekend. Think it's very close to being just right for the early months of the Great War, want to get a few folks playing it and some feedback on how different aspects work.

Altaris

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:06 am

And mod is now up! Below are the install instructions (I've also edited the first post of this thread to have install instructions at the end of the first post).

I'll put up some more detail as I get time, may be tomorrow. In the meantime, feel free to set it up and give it a whirl! Note that the AI has not been developed for this, it will use basic AGEOD AI, but from my experience the current AI in this mod doesn't provide much of a challenge - it's really meant to be a PBEM mod with 2 or 3 players. (In PBEM it's coming out very nicely though!)

Installation Instructions
This mod requires both Alea Jacta Est and World War One (Gold) to be installed to play!

1 - If you have not installed Alea Jacta Est yet, please do so first.

2 - Make sure Alea Jacta Est is patched to official patch 1.01 (can be found here http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/3rdParty/Various/Patch_AJE_v1.01.rar)

3 - Download my mod file WW1_MainFiles_v202.zip at this location: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nb2dz0w2se5i4ws

4 - Open the mod zip file, there is a single folder called WW1 inside. You need to extract this folder to your main Alea Jacta Est directory (typically found at either C:\Games\Alea Jacta Est or C:\Program Files\Alea Jacta Est - it will be the directory where the AJE.exe file is located and there will also be a folder called AJE in this location.

5 - Once the files are extracted, go to the directory where you have World War One Gold installed (usually either C:\Games\World War One Gold or C:\Program Files\World War One Gold). Once you are in the main World War One Gold directory, navigate to World War One Gold\Data\Graph\Map\GoldRegions - there should be a large number of .bmp picture files in here. Copy all files in this directory.

6 - Go back to where you extracted the WW1 folder in Step 4. From here, navigate to WW1\Graphics\Regions and paste all the .bmp files you copied in Step 5 to this directory. There are 4 files that will ask if you want to overwrite them, choose NO when prompted (if you choose Yes or Yes to All, it's not a big deal, it will just cause one region that has a rail link not to show properly on the map).

7 - Go back to the location where you extracted WW1 folder in Step 4. There is a file here called ModPath.ini. Open this with a text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad. It contains one line of text that should read AJE, simply change this to WW1 and save. (for future reference, when you want to switch back to playing AJE, simply change this file contents back to AJE - very simple to switch back and forth).

8 - Launch Alea Jacta Est and you should see the new mod kicking in - you're all set to go!

Highlandcharge

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Awesome, I should be able to get 2 to 3 pbems going... as well as ours Altaris, I will PM later about it when I get back onto my computer, well done can wait to get into it :)

Metatron

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Very interesting ! Great job, looks like a lot of fun.

Altaris

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:41 pm

I've updated the main thread to reflect changes to hints/strategies, I would suggest re-reading through it as there is some key info in there. I've also added some strategy advice for Germany, Austria, and Serbia, as well as updating the Entente ones.

Soulstrider
Major

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Can't wait to give it a shot.

Just to make clear, all Entente allies are controlled by France? Even those in the east like Serbia and Romania (which imo kind of make sense being controlled by Russia)

Also I know this is WW1 Gold fault, but it always annoyed me seeing the Portuguese Monarchist flag in the game when the whole point of Portugal entering WW1 was to legitimize the young Republic :p

Altaris

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Serbia is controlled by Russia side (as is Romania if it ends up joining the Entente - doesn't happen very often).

Narwhal

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Well, I downloaded the mod but forget you also need World War One Gold. Guess you are going to convince me to buy it ;) .

Altaris

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Yes, you must have WW1-Gold to play this. It's a good game in itself, though I've had a lot of trouble with multiplayer aspects of it, and it's got a very hefty rulebook to it. And it's good for AGEOD business, which is always a good thing :)

wodin
Sergeant

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 pm

WW1Gold is my all time favourite Grand Strat game and I'm usually a tactical player, yet WW1 Gold come sin the list of my all time favoruite games of any genre and scale.

This mod looks great, maybe they will get you to make a whole new WW1 game using this engine at two weeks turns for the whole war..lovely.

Altaris

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Been very swamped with work of late, most of my modding efforts have been tinkering and experimenting of late. I have played a few PBEM games of this against various opponents, while it's fairly short, it's been a lot of fun!

We have run across a few minor bugs, but nothing that's a show-stopper by any means. I'll probably wait to roll the fixes into a later version.

Altaris

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Uploaded a patch file to fix a few bugs in the mod (mostly some missing leader portraits and fixes to some missing region connectors).

Patch can be found here:http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fnio52rtug08o7b - extract the WW1 folder inside this zip over the WW1 folder where the mod is installed (allow overwrites if/when prompted).

Also updated main post installation instructions to include patching info.

If installed correctly, you should see WW1 2.03 listed as the version when the game is loading.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Watching this with great interest. Best of Luck with your Mod!

-C

wosung

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Me too. It would be fabulous if this could become a full fledged WW1 AGE game.

Best regards

Altaris

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Have any of you tried the existing mod out? It's quite playable as it is and a pretty good 1914 scenario.

NY Rangers
Major

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:52 pm

I installed the mod according to instructions, but it won't start. After a few minutes it asks for activation code for RUS (!). I do have RUS installed, but can't remember its code. After restarting my computer I tried again, but nothing happens (while AJE.exe is on). What might be causing this?

NY Rangers
Major

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Now I have my RUS code ready (from Matrix Games), but now it doesn't ask for it, but after ca. 10 minutes just tells that my code is too short. Help!

Altaris

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:49 pm

It should be the AJE code. The display might still read RUS, but the exe is the AJE one, so that AJE code should work.

NY Rangers
Major

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Ok, problem solved. I managed to get the code question again, and used AJE code as you suggested above.

Looks good! My first question is why Mackensen is "quickly angered", and therefore has a CP penalty?

Altaris

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:58 pm

I just copied the leader files from PON, so if they had that ability in PON, they have it in this mod. I've noticed that about Mackensen before too, will probably mod it out at some point.

Altaris

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:26 pm

NY-Rangers, if you want to pick up a PBEM game at some point, let me know. I could probably squeeze one into my schedule (don't know if I could quite commit to a turn a day, but probably at least 1 every two days).

NY Rangers
Major

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Altaris wrote:NY-Rangers, if you want to pick up a PBEM game at some point, let me know. I could probably squeeze one into my schedule (don't know if I could quite commit to a turn a day, but probably at least 1 every two days).

Will do, but first I have to shake off rustiness; I haven't played proper AGEOD-engine game since heavily playtesting Fatal Years Mod (RUS). Although I own AJE (preordered) I haven't really played it yet.

Altaris

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Sounds good. If you try this against the AI, I suggest you play as the Centrals, as I don't think the AI can effectively handle the intricacies of the Central strategies. I'd be interested in hearing what kind of experience the AI gives either way, I haven't done a lot of testing.

Pocus

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:00 am

I should then back my new turn today Altaris, sorry for delay.

NY Rangers, I believe you were in regular contact with Clovis, he seems he has disappeared from view, he moved to others games?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

NY Rangers
Major

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 am

Pocus wrote:I should then back my new turn today Altaris, sorry for delay.

NY Rangers, I believe you were in regular contact with Clovis, he seems he has disappeared from view, he moved to others games?

Clovis seems to have just disappeared. I hope it's nothing serious.

He could make an excellent AI for this mod too, I'm sure.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:36 am

Not that he abandoned, Both Fatal years and SFV 2 both were very playable and complete. In fact marvelous mods. He was talking about modding Rise of Prussia and AJE maybe in future. Hope he do that. I don't think he moved to other games.

NY Rangers
Major

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Inspired by this mod, I copied the RUS-folder with latest version Fatal Years (which doesn't seem to be as polished as some of the earlier versions) to AJE main folder, changed the Modpath.ini to RUS, and the mod seems to run perfectly! Only problem I have noticed so far is that the replacement window (F2) is a bit too far to the bottom right corner.

Altaris

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Yes, this should work in RUS without any trouble (it originally began as a RUS mod). Only potential issue I could foresee is with the regional decisions, but I'm pretty sure that Pocus updates the code for all the newer AGEOD games with the same base .exe coding, so I think this should work with both AJE and RUS exe's.

As for AI, I'm just not sure how well the AI will handle the Schefflein Plan. That's pretty precise planning for the AI to try and handle. My instinct says that it may just push heavy on the German/French border and maybe try some limited flanking through the Ardennes.

Pocus and I just finished Turn 3 (Early September 1914) of our game, fantastic turn on the Western Front. The BEF delivered a big punch to the Germans at Mons, followed by a severe weakening of the German 1st Army at Lille (though at Lille the BEF lost over half it's forces).

Turns 2 and 3 of this scenario always end up a lot of fun on the Western Front, IMO.

NY Rangers
Major

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:11 pm

My quick notes, based on just 2 turns against Entente AI:

- Loetzen is missing a fort
- some formations, like Richthofen's Cavalry Corps have no ammunition at the start, nor on the second turn
- French are passive at the Frontiers on both turns (ie. no attacks)
- Russian 2nd Army strikes at Thorn instead of Tannenberg

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”