Chiteng
Private

Activity? Is the game dead?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:08 pm

The comments on the last patch imply the game is dead from old age. I hope that isnt true.
What is the actual status?

Ol' Choctaw

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:12 pm

It looks like they have started work on ACW-2 there are a couple of threads on it. One showing an XXL map.

Pocus

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:59 pm

The community is still there, so dead, not quite. The game is very stable and we don't plan to introduce features, that's it.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Chiteng
Private

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Pocus wrote:The community is still there, so dead, not quite. The game is very stable and we don't plan to introduce features, that's it.

Well that is good because I do play the game and it would be a shame to see it dead.
I mean there are some mechanical things in the interface that are akward, but the game design is good.
I know the temptation to start a new design aft6er so many years is compelling, and I wish you the best of luck
Let us know if you seek Beta

Chiteng

Ol' Choctaw

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Sorry if I made it sound as though it was abandoned. They just patched it to its, hopefully, final form.

I am sure this game will have players for a long time to come.

George McClellan
Captain
Location: " If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere!"

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:31 am

Whew! I step out for a few months, come back, and they're making a new AACW....

That was quick...
George McClellan is locked in Cincinati until Lincoln admits he's a baboon.Image

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:55 am

Well I personally am in the middle of a PBEM, so I am not active in the forums looking for an opponent or anything like that. I think this may be true for most people; the game is good currently and it keeps players occupied, so not many people come to the forum for advice or in search of opponents right now. There will probably be an explosion of forum activity after AACW 2, though.

Whew! I step out for a few months, come back, and they're making a new AACW....

Welcome back George! I noticed you were awefully quiet on the forums the past few months.

The American Civil War is not quite the same without George McClellan ;)

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:17 pm

This game has a "strong pulse", far from dead.
It's just smoothly humming along on it's final patch. :happyrun:

DrPostman

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:34 pm

I agree. I might even be still playing it after AACW2 comes out, if it ends up being a
bit too big to handle like PoN can be. I like PoN, but it took me 4 months to play a campaign
game while it usually takes me about a week or two to play a campaign of AACW.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 pm

ACW 1 is as about as good as it can get with the final patch. Remember the early forms of the game that had script errors, laggy map, and tons of generals without portraits? Now the game runs great, the AI is improved, and the leaders actually have faces! I'll also probably play ACW 1 long after ACW 2 comes out. In fact, ACW is one of the longest installed games on my PC, along with Rome Total War and Silent Hunter III.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 am

This game is far from dead, just needs some fresh blood.

DrPostman

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:30 pm

My blood may not be fresh but Athena is drawing some out of me in a current game. I recently
did a fresh install putting it in its own folder and then patching to 1.17a and it's a much tougher
game now. It might have been adding patch over patch over patch that made the AI not work
as well but now she's being a mean opponent. I'm starting to think the best game other than
PBEM is to play with Athena running the South.

charlesonmission

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Newman's and my introductory video on AACW gets about 400 views a month on YouTube. So, people are still looking for American Civil War computer games. How many of these are new players that eventually play the game.... that, I don't know.

Charles

GlobalExplorer wrote:This game is far from dead, just needs some fresh blood.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:38 am

On my part, just taking a break to deal with Real Life (c)(r)(p) issues and sharpen those cavalry sabres!
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

youkali
Conscript

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:22 am

My first wargame was Avalon Hill's D-DAY. In the 50 or so years since it came out, nothing has topped AGEOD'S ACW. Best match of game engine and historical situation ever created.

DrPostman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:53 am

youkali wrote:My first wargame was Avalon Hill's D-DAY. In the 50 or so years since it came out, nothing has topped AGEOD'S ACW. Best match of game engine and historical situation ever created.

I remember that game. I used to play it a lot with a certain friend of mine
who eventually wouldn't play it with me any more because I would always win.
I especially remember the wonderful option of using a nuke to make everything
in one hex disappear. Am I remembering that option? I got really good at
playing it on either side. Apparently I played the revision they did in 77:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1919/d-day
There are some interesting reviews by the players of the 1965 edition you
might find interesting at that link.

Stauffenberg
General

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Chiteng wrote:The comments on the last patch imply the game is dead from old age. I hope that isnt true.
What is the actual status?

It may be a bit quiet on this forum, but if you listen closely you can hear the distant booming of pbem artillery.

I imagine there are quite a few others like myself getting their turn-a-day pbem hit (I know of one other player for sure ;) ).
I even managed to finally finish a game as the Union (know thine enemy).

In my current pbem as the CSA it is early Spring 1864, Lee and Longstreet are pretty much surrounded in Richmond attempting to break out, with another army under Jackson attempting to break in. My email comments sent with the turn:

"Once again it is most irksome to see Lee fail against 2-0-1 Butler, and with an entrenchment factor of only 377. Lee had 29,000 men to Butler's 20,000, 180 CSA cannon vs 100 US. This result is more than baffling, it's the height of absurdity. :bonk: Historically Lee hardly ever got to fight with superior numbers, and usually won anyhow--perhaps he attracts bad luck with leader stats of 6-6-6?

But out West the shoe is on the other foot as US forces are absolutely thrashed by my worst general on the map, 3-0-0 John B. Floyd, political appointee extraordinaire :wacko: . The hapless Floyd is now a hero in the south as his paltry force in Fort Coahoma of some 4000 men and 22 cannon, stood off a Union army of 49,000 men and 175 cannons under the redoubtable James MacPherson (6-5-4) losing 1600 men and inflicting 5700 US casualties. Rebel gunners in the fort racked up an astounding 114 hits on US ironclads and gunboats as well. An utterly amazing combat result, about as unlikely as Lee's rebuff in Virginia. And so it breaks out even with +3 and minus 3 NM for both sides.

The break-in and breakout battles south of Richmond remind me of Manstein's attempt to free Paulus's 6.Armee at Stalingrad in early 1943, almost exactly a century later. I can only hope to do better than the illustrious Generalfeldmarschall."

Captain_Orso

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:55 pm

It seems to me you have Rommel outside trying to get in, and Rammstein....Image... I mean Mannstein trying to get out. What you need to do is Image ;)

Stauffenberg
General

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 pm

:eek:
Captain_Orso wrote:It seems to me you have Rommel outside trying to get in, and Rammstein....Image... I mean Mannstein trying to get out. What you need to do is Image ;)

Der Jackson kommt... :eek:
I'm sure my opponent has figured out all four Corps are under Lee at this point.
What i really need are all those emoticons you have up your sleeve.
[insert appropriate emoticon]====> here

wsatterwhite
Lieutenant

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:13 pm

One thing Stauffenberg forgot to mention about the Stalingrad like struggle going on around Richmond are the huge clashes of ironclads (10+ for both sides) that have been raging back and forth on the James River for much of the last year in-game. It is quite a war brewing :)

DrPostman

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:50 am

wsatterwhite wrote:One thing Stauffenberg forgot to mention about the Stalingrad like struggle going on around Richmond are the huge clashes of ironclads (10+ for both sides) that have been raging back and forth on the James River for much of the last year in-game. It is quite a war brewing :)

The CSA eventually had a tidy little fleet there towards the end of the war. It was what is
known as a "Fleet In Being" acting as a threat more than it really was simply by it's existence. The
one time it sortied against the Union ended in disaster and when Richmond was evacuated Semmes
ordered the 3 ironclads and 5 gunboats burned and the partially built ironclad Texas fell into Union
hands.
http://weaponsandwarfare.com/?p=249

Pocus

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Semmes ended up Rear Admiral I see...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

DrPostman

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Pocus wrote:Semmes ended up Rear Admiral I see...

I don't see how Charles W. Read stayed a lieutenant throughout the
war. His exploits would make for a hell of a movie.
http://www.confederatenavalhistory.com/seahawk.htm

MarkShot

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Oh, I hope it's not dead. I think it is more like a fine wine and has reached full maturity.

I just finished migrating from Win XP Pro SP3 32b to Win 7 Pro SP1 32b on an oldish PC. I installed AACW a couple of days ago as it has always been a game that I wanted to play every since playing BOA. I just never found the time.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”