caranorn

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:45 am

Osnabrück A = Münster
Osnabrück B = Osnabrück
Minden A = Minden (wish i was there today :-( )
Minden B = ???
Hamm A = Gütersloh
Hamm B = Hamm
Paderborn A = Paderborn
Paderborn B = ???
Dortmund A = Dortmund
Dortmund B = ??? (not Bochum as that was irrelevant before the 19th century)
Wesel A = Düsseldorf (region is a bit too far north for Düsseldorf, but think this is still best choice)
Wesel B = Wesel
Neuss = Jülich (neuss only started to become important around 1816, while Jülich seems to located in the map's region and was of course important long before)
Solingen A = Siegburg
Solingen B = Solingen

Will continue here later...

Mostly working with google maps and then crossreferencing towns in the german language wikipedia to see their importance prior to the 19th century...
Marc aka Caran...

PhilThib

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:55 am

Great....If you can, try to put this on a word document attached to your post and updated everytime you add stuf, so I am sure not to miss any of your research when I'll come to this later :thumbsup:

Laruku
General of the Army

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:22 am

Oh, my god! Who put the Spanish names? Many of them are plainly wrong! Furthermore, have you ever heard about the "Euskadian Coast"? What on Earth is this? "Mar Cantábrico", as in any map. Jaén is not either. Urgel and Lérida are wrong, and so on. How can we put this in order?

PhilThib

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 am

All was done via Wikipedia and American research. Feel free to provide names, keeping in mind that these are "aliases", not the real province final names, and, in particular:

- No Spanish (or any other language) special character is allowed: no accent, no tilda, just plain 26 letters of the western alphabet (these are the only allowed Unicode characters)

- Sea regions: by convention, the sea regions are ALL in English (this is a Royal Navy map - lol !!) ...keep it this way.

You can put the fixes on a Ms-Word document attached here. Thanks

PS: as in most games, the "exact" names in each local language will be done via the localization files, not on the map DB...we could as well have given the regions an ID number only, like in Paradox games DB, that would work the same...just easier for modders and devs to have region aliases be 'close' to the actual place name

Laruku
General of the Army

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Yes, I'll do in my spare time, I hope during this week. My ideas on the proper names. Of course, I might also be wrong, but not so wrong as here.

caranorn

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:54 pm

PhilThib wrote:- No Spanish (or any other language) special character is allowed: no accent, no tilda, just plain 26 letters of the western alphabet (these are the only allowed Unicode characters)

Stupid question. Would the letter "ü" be special letter then? If so I will start writing "ü¨"ue", "ö" "oe", "ä" "ae" etc.
Marc aka Caran...

caranorn

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Ok, here is the word document as I'm working on it. It's slow going as in some cases the choice is not at all obvious to me (relatively unfamiliar with the area).

I'm half tempted to take snapshots in google maps and overlay these over the game map, but I fear there will be unsolvable distortion and I'll just waste time trying my usual method. So I'll continue for now just locating a named town, comparing with neighbouring towns and then picking the most fitting name...
Attachments

[The extension doc has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Marc aka Caran...

PhilThib

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:50 pm

caranorn wrote:Stupid question. Would the letter "ü" be special letter then? If so I will start writing "ü¨"ue", "ö" "oe", "ä" "ae" etc.

All the umlaut are changed by the letter+e format (ue, oe, ae, etc...) indeed. Thanks

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Good news map project evolve into discussion about letter format. Any progress so far about the next game from the project?

PhilThib

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:38 am

Nope, until I finished this map....and I don't get much help here, so it's kind of frozen... May be you could give a hand on Turkey and the East ;)

BigDuke66
General

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Just looking at the Ulm area, Ulm is far more East(maybe Nordlingen area) and surely not North-West of the Bodensee.
Annoyed me already in NCP.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

marek1978
Colonel

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 pm

PhilThib wrote:Nope, until I finished this map....and I don't get much help here, so it's kind of frozen... May be you could give a hand on Turkey and the East ;)

hey, is the whole project frozen?

i was wondering whether you guys used that map in AJE ?

as far as i understant you still need some help with naming the regions?

PhilThib

Map work

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Well, region naming has been done, but of course some names will need reviewing.

Two files enclosed below:

* The map as is (a reduced version, the actual one is 3 times bigger)
* An excel file with the current region names

Post replies with attachment here for changes
:cool:
Attachments

[The extension xls has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Large_Europe_NamedRegions.jpg

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Small correction:

Region 794 'Leuwarden' must be 794 'Leeuwarden' in all major languages (except in local dialects where it is 'Ljouwert' or 'Liwwadden').

One may also consider making the areas next to the coastal ones in the North of the Netherlands and Germany moors, as the area consisted of moors with small sandy 'islands' with limited East-West connections, and North-South connections along the rivers, well into the 20th century.

In Roman times Varus perished here in the moors of Kalkriese, and during the Dutch Revolt war was channelled here by 'passes' through the moors. And even in WWII the areas proved very unsuitable for tank combat.

Franciscus

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:46 pm

I particularly noticed the Napoleonic watermark in the map... :cool:

Please also notice that if region 158, Villa_Real should be Vila_Real IF it is the portuguese region

Regards

PhilThib

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Erik Springelkamp wrote:Small correction:

Region 794 'Leuwarden' must be 794 'Leeuwarden' in all major languages (except in local dialects where it is 'Ljouwert' or 'Liwwadden').

One may also consider making the areas next to the coastal ones in the North of the Netherlands and Germany moors, as the area consisted of moors with small sandy 'islands' with limited East-West connections, and North-South connections along the rivers, well into the 20th century.

In Roman times Varus perished here in the moors of Kalkriese, and during the Dutch Revolt war was channelled here by 'passes' through the moors. And even in WWII the areas proved very unsuitable for tank combat.

Noted for name change.

Terrain: those areas are 'marshes', which are in effect what you describe (we shall may be increase the harhsness). The in-game terrain 'Moors' is now renamed 'Forests & lakes' and is more the one you find in East Prussia or southern Finland.

PhilThib

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Franciscus wrote:I particularly noticed the Napoleonic watermark in the map... :cool:

Please also notice that if region 158, Villa_Real should be Vila_Real IF it is the portuguese region

Regards

Yes, Portuguese (but at some time it was controlled by Spain, or not?). Fixed

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Marshes, OK, (in German and old Dutch we call it 'moor', but it probably all derives from the same root), but I actually meant that the difficult terrain goes further South than shown in this map. At least one region more. Almost everything North of the Rhineland was full of marshes, hence it was allways sparsely populated, except along the rivers and the coast.

There were roads, but generally traffic was channelled through those narrow sand ridges, giving a strong strategic advantage to the defender.

An exceptionall dry summer, or a frozen winter could suddenly change the strategic situation drastically.

Fortress cities here were often blockading as strongly as in mountain passes.

wosung

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Some typos:

826 Wesel instead of Wese
829 Guetersloh instead of Guettersloh
866 Wolfenbuettel instead of Wolffenbuettel
890 Freiburg_Breisgau instead of Freiburg_Brisgau
911 Erlangen instead of Erlaengen
934 Brunsbuettel instead of Bruensbuettel
962 Oranienburg instead of Orienanburg
972 Tangermuende instead of Tangermunde
1005 Annaberg_Buchholz instead of Annaberg_Buccholz
1006 Grossbeeren instead if Grossberen

Best regards

PhilThib

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 am

First part is the correct one I suppose?

Bruit Bleu

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 am

I had a brief look over french provinces. Here are my observations :

Two spellings :
318 Ronceveaux should be spelled Roncevaux
404 St_Afrique should be spelled Saint_Affrique (with 2 F)

Which asks the questions of cities named after saints. Some are complete (Saint-X), a few are spelled St-Y. Here is the list :
117 St_Albans
119 Bury_St_Edmunds
741 St_Moritz
770 St_Niklaas
1170 St_Poelten
4099 Golfe_de_St_Malo

About Pyrénées :
318 Roncevaux and 347 Montsegur are not actual cities. The latter is a XIIth century ruin, and the former is in Spain, where the place is called Orreaga in Basque. The above map is not detailled enough to see precisely what regions are involved, but maybe should you use :
318 Saint_Jean_Pied_de_Port
347 Foix
334 Pamiers

About expanded names :
415 Salon_de_Provence is named like this since 1918. Before, it was just Salon or maybe Salon_de_Crau
557 Chalons_sur_Marne is ok, but 459 Chalons should be Chalons_sur_Saone
TYW Baroque music mod

« Dulce Bellum Inexpertis »
Erasmus

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:24 pm

PhilThib wrote:* The map

Nice! It could be used as the answer to Napoleon in RUS: from Moscow to Paris lol :D

Narwhal

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:52 pm

This is wonderful. With this, manoeuvering will never be so great ; plus a war & diplomacy game in the 17th - 18th century can be done.

Small regret, even though I know 1. it is too late 2. I could have done the work - it was voluunteer work : a small part of Europe who saw 2 wars is missing :

Narwhal

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:16 pm

By the way, could not resist :

wosung

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:37 pm

PhilThib wrote:First part is the correct one I suppose?

Yup

PhilThib

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:26 pm

I probably do some extension of the map to the north (Finland) and the east (to include Baku and western Persia)...may prove useful later :D

BigDuke66
General

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Yes please!
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

wosung

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 pm

PhilThib wrote:I probably do some extension of the map to the north (Finland) and the east (to include Baku and western Persia)...may prove useful later :D

Including Baku?! Useful later???!!
Hmmm...

Now, this sounds good!

PhilThib

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:47 am

Yup...reading my (confused) mind... :mdr:

wosung

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:35 pm

PhilThib wrote:Yup...reading my (confused) mind... :mdr:

Apparently (apart from me) you're not the only one with such a ... confused mind. That makes us four already.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical/ejynjqtgDnU[101-125-false]
"Giftzwerg

22. Feb
In article <53bdf00c-6368-4d07-ad82-5fb6f3d86379@googlegroups.com>,
douglas...@rogers.com says...

> Well I really want to believe that there's someone out there we don't
know quitely programming the land warfare equivalent of SAI on the
Russian Front...so here's hoping!

Well, the first thing I'd have to ask myself is what I wanted out of such
a game. Nirvana would be a Panther engine take on the subject, but I'm
willing to take less, the better to not let The Perfect Be The Enemy Of
The Good.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind seeing an AGEOD-style game.
Areas, grouping small (divisional / brigade) units into Corps, good AI,
selectable production / no production."

"dougb

23. Feb
Yep your idea of an ageod style game would be welcomed here as well. Apart from the old dos interface, I thought that Grigsby had it about right with his corps level game where the divisions could be transferred around if desired - and wego to boot. Of course then he had to go off and create a divisional level igo-ugo game with few scenarios (smacks forehead)."

Best regards

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”