Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

What's your strategic plan?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:19 am

I guess this should be a question for only those who have pre-ordered and are able to stare... and stare at the scenario maps.

So, any rough ideas on what to do in your first game?

My first choice will be the Caesar vs Pompey scenario. It was such a pivotal moment in Roman history, and I also loved how it played out in HBO's Rome series. The initial momentum and speed of Caesar startled the Senate so much that in hindsight it's difficult to see how Pompey could have done any worse with what he had at the moment to deal with Caesar's veterans.

Cato is just kind of hanging out in Sicily, and there looks to be many friendly forces in Spain, especially in eastern Spain under Afranius. For me I think I'll do the historical choice for step one and abandon Rome to Caesar, but after the east/west decision comes, I think I'll go the alternate route and have Pompey go to Spain and muster his veterans there for an eventual retaking of Italy. In the meantime, if I can cobble together a force under Cato to keep Caesar busy in southern Italy, it might be possible to pin him down between two great Republican armies. The catch will be outmaneuvering Caesar long enough to assemble at least one if not two armies large enough to crush him and end the tyranny of the Populares. But keeping an eye on the Gallic legions will be a must. If Caesar can create a stop gap force in northern Italy, it might be enough to keep my two Republican armies from uniting. This of course will all depend on timing and... being able to see the event options, naval choices, supply limits, and how they all play out.

What will be your first moves? Can't wait to see some grim AARs played out with this game. I have a feeling it's gonna be brutal.

yellow ribbon

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:37 am

seeing, that two of us betas look right now in your post... i will sum up:

ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK... :wacko:

you underestimate the tricky AI, as well as the designers, catching you surprised...
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Robert E. Lee
Private

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:41 am

Conquer the world?
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it"

Kensai

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:58 am

Well, as Ceasar, I will definitely try to blitz in the first months, as the dude himself did. But next I will go for the Eastern (rich) provinces as it would be more of a challenge to fight with lesser armies.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:31 am

yellow ribbon wrote:seeing, that two of us betas look right now in your post... i will sum up:

ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK... :wacko:

you underestimate the tricky AI, as well as the designers, catching you surprised...

As Caesar, sure. One legion is better than none at all. But as Pompey? I guess we could throw our sandals at 'em. ;)

yellow ribbon

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:37 am

Boomer wrote:As Caesar, sure. One legion is better than none at all. But as Pompey? I guess we could throw our sandals at 'em. ;)

kill them by the dust you create by marching the "other" direction... ;)
...not paid by AGEOD.

however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:41 pm

I have a feeling that navy will come in handy. Just have make sure I don't have to make impromptu visits to the coasts of Egypt. Otherwise, might be my head that ends up in a basket. ;)

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”