Searry
Colonel

"No biography available in version 1.00"

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 pm

I updated to 1.04, and I have this text on every Siberian general. Is this normal?

PhilThib

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:46 pm

I don't recall having seen any update on biographies recently either :confused:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Searry wrote:I have this text on every general. Is this normal?

Only French version has the texts. It's weird as french players use the english game, since the french game is not beautiful with many errors and some texts translation seem forbidden by the game engine.

PhilThib

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:30 pm

We have a frequent issue with the French players: the texts were done by a French guy and this is a great work, but he is not fluent enough to do the English version, and no one has volunteered or has time for these...

jack54
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:23 am

PhilThib wrote: and no one has volunteered or has time for these...

Hi all,
How would someone set up the biographies? I seem to remember another thread saying something about using excel but I am not sure about the lay out.
I had thoughts of starting with the more prominent generals and working backwards. I became discouraged believing that bios cannot be added in small groups?

thanks!
AGE games I own; RUS ,AJE, BOR, H:ToR, AACW, WIA, ROP,NC, CWII, Espana 1936, TYW
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PhilThib

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:09 am

Biographies are indeed inside the strings file, at the end of the XLS....they use the alias $ldr_TXT_.... for each faction and leader, then you just enter the bio. There are already quite a few, but all in French IIRC. Get the latest excel Strings from the DB

jack54
Brigadier General

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks PhilThib,

I found them. I downloaded the DB from the modding forum. 2 files

localstrings red and local strings 15c have bios... do you need to change both?

then getting them into the game? I will check modding forum but I am a little lost right now.

Also there are multply lines for various generals am I correct in assuming that there is one for each mdl file? So one for each rank?
AGE games I own; RUS ,AJE, BOR, H:ToR, AACW, WIA, ROP,NC, CWII, Espana 1936, TYW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lodilefty

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:31 pm

jack54 wrote:Thanks PhilThib,

I found them. I downloaded the DB from the modding forum. 2 files

localstrings red and local strings 15c have bios... do you need to change both?

then getting them into the game? I will check modding forum but I am a little lost right now.

Need only to change the xls file.
Then upload that here, and I'll incorporate it into next patch.

If you wish to test it first, you'll need to export it from the xls to a csv file, with the separator set as semi-colon ;
Your exported file should be LocalStrings_RUS.csv [assuming you have installed newest patch 1.05!!!]

If you get messed up, simply upload the xls here and I'll extract/post a csv for you!

Thank you!!!!! :thumbsup:
:coeurs:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

jack54
Brigadier General

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:02 pm

lodilefty wrote:Need only to change the xls file.
Then upload that here, and I'll incorporate it into next patch.

If you wish to test it first, you'll need to export it from the xls to a csv file, with the separator set as semi-colon ;
Your exported file should be LocalStrings_RUS.csv [assuming you have installed newest patch 1.05!!!]

If you get messed up, simply upload the xls here and I'll extract/post a csv for you!

Thank you!!!!! :thumbsup:
:coeurs:

Sorry to be dense about this but I was editing the xls data base I downloaded from mod forum... is this obsolete since patching.

I got lost opening csv file from RUS. I find the xls spreadsheet is easier to work with, color coded and such. Can I convert RUS csv to an xls. I tried but looks the same. Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lodilefty

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:50 pm

jack54 wrote:Sorry to be dense about this but I was editing the xls data base I downloaded from mod forum... is this obsolete since patching.

I got lost opening csv file from RUS. I find the xls spreadsheet is easier to work with, color coded and such. Can I convert RUS csv to an xls. I tried but looks the same. Thanks!

Go ahead and use the old xls to edit, then post it here.

The new RUS database is very fluid right now, so I didn't post it...

I'll merge your work into the latest once you are finished...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

jack54
Brigadier General

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 am

lodilefty wrote:Go ahead and use the old xls to edit, then post it here.

The new RUS database is very fluid right now, so I didn't post it...

I'll merge your work into the latest once you are finished...

Thanks Lodilefty... I will do what I can :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lodilefty

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 am

jack54 wrote:Thanks Lodilefty... I will do what I can :)

I'm having brain cramps lately...

Here's the latest xls for the text strings.
Don't insert or delete any rows or columns
Don't change anything in column "A"
[CENTER][/CENTER]

jack54
Brigadier General

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Thank you :D

I can work with this...! I do not speak french but along with google translate I believe I am able to rework the existing french bios into english.What ever I cannot get to make sense I will leave out. I am being careful; cut and paste can be a dangerous tool. LOL

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jack54
Brigadier General

Thu May 03, 2012 5:58 pm

deleted upload I will move to Mod area.

edited 5/5/12

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed May 09, 2012 7:47 pm

I am sufficiently versed in French to appreciate short text-bios. Is it possible for me to just enable the bios without changing the game's language settings to completely French?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 09, 2012 10:37 pm

le Anders wrote:Is it possible to just enable the bios without changing the game's language settings to completely French?

Yes, you have to copy and past these texts from french column to english one in the _RED.xls file found* in the forum, then make it a .csv game file.
* Maybe this: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?22215-RUS-Latest-database-in-excel

Jorje Vidrio
Corporal

Thu May 10, 2012 2:14 pm

I would love to see the bios in the next patch!
Bios really added a lot to the the historical flavor of AACW and would really help those of us who don't know much about the Russian Civil War.
I'm afraid to add it to the code myself because I don't know what I'm doing and would likely mess up the game.

jack54
Brigadier General

Thu May 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Jorje Vidrio wrote:I would love to see the bios in the next patch!
Bios really added a lot to the the historical flavor of AACW and would really help those of us who don't know much about the Russian Civil War.
I'm afraid to add it to the code myself because I don't know what I'm doing and would likely mess up the game.

Me Too! I have translated about 40 bios so far but still not sure about converting to csv. It is amazing knowing that some Generals will be executed during the Stalin purge; others are assassinated and at least 1 seems to have "fallen out a window".

If you open up the exel Lodilefty uploaded in post 12 you can at least read some of the French bios, scroll down they start a little before row 12000. have fun.

I unfortunately do not speak French but Google Translate or Bing Translate do pretty good!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 10, 2012 3:58 pm

jack54 wrote: about 40 bios so far . It is amazing knowing that some Generals will be executed during the Stalin purge; others are assassinated and at least 1 seems to have "fallen out a window".

There was a photo made by bolsheviks, proud of 1933'(?) generals of USSR.
Later, anarchists just add on the picture how they died:
"Top, left to right: Gamarnik, suicided; Toukhatchevski, shot; Egorov, missing; Khalepski, missing; Orlov, shot; Iakir, shot.
Bottom: S.Kamenev, dead; Ordjonikidze, poisonned; Boudienny, survivor; Alsknis, shot; Louklevitch, missing; Eideman, shot; Ouborevitch, shot."
('shot': executed, for sure)
Here too, more in the RCW time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovnarkom#The_Original_People.27s_Commissars

czert2
Brigadier General

Mon May 14, 2012 4:28 pm

PhilThib wrote:We have a frequent issue with the French players: the texts were done by a French guy and this is a great work, but he is not fluent enough to do the English version, and no one has volunteered or has time for these...

Google translator lead way ?

PhilThib

Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 am

Nope, it's awful in quality...

jack54
Brigadier General

Tue May 15, 2012 3:57 pm

PhilThib wrote:Nope, it's awful in quality...

Google translator helps but must be reviewed and edited. Some things make little difference such as "the military academy of Nikolaev' as opposed to "The Nikolaev Military Academy". Some translations however are very different or misleading words such as (from, by,to) can really throw you off for example when it translates an officer was protected 'from' another officer it actually meant to say 'received protection from'... very different.

I try to use the translation as a base and then work with something like wikipedia. Time consuming but it works. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed May 16, 2012 6:53 pm

ERISS wrote:Yes, you have to copy and past these texts from french column to english in the _RED.xls file found* in the forum,

Done.
then make it a .csv game file.[/url]

How?

PhilThib

Thu May 17, 2012 9:17 am

When saving your Excel file, use the "Save As" menu and choose CSV format in the drop down menu Excel presents you with, that's all.... make sure the csv file is the same as the one used in the game...

lodilefty

Thu May 17, 2012 11:37 am

PhilThib wrote:When saving your Excel file, use the "Save As" menu and choose CSV format in the drop down menu Excel presents you with, that's all.... make sure the csv file is the same as the one used in the game...

And choose the "separator: as a semi-colon. [the default is a comma, which won't work with AGE]
[CENTER][/CENTER]

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 pm

lodilefty wrote:And choose the "separator: as a semi-colon. [the default is a comma, which won't work with AGE]

What?
I have no idea what this means. In the filename? In the file? What?

Edit: It works without doing anythitng but copying column C to column B and renaming the file to Localstrings_RUS and saving as CSV.
Only annoying thing is that the game/OS doesn't recognize "special characters like à, é and ç. But I can live with that.
Thanks, support staff!

jack54
Brigadier General

Some Bios in Word format.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi all.

Since I have given up getting Bios into the game myself I have attached several bios (only about 20 for now) that I was able to translate from the French data base. (MS WORD Format!) This really is just a test to see what the community and the devs think about them.

The attachment Some RUS Bios.zip is no longer available

If these are good enough I have several more in good condition and many that I still have to rework into coherent english. Where possible I have double checked translations with wikipedia articles. If these don't make it into the data base I may just post something in PDF format. As I have said before the stories are often quite amazing.

Quesion: are there Bios size limits?.... Some can get quite long making editing crucial!

Thanks!

Jack
Attachments
Some RUS Bios.zip
(19.61 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”