PhilThib

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:52 am

No, it use the previous AGE engine version (all other games than PON)

Ilitarist
Sergeant

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:34 pm

PhilThib wrote:No, it use the previous AGE engine version (all other games than PON)

Why previous (2.0) and not new one (4.0?) that will be even faster and cooler?

PhilThib

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:28 pm

For what I have seen of the prototype, the games runs fast and smooth :thumbsup:

wosung

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:37 pm

PhilThib wrote:
The AJE game will handle a very wide variety of scenarios and a huge time period, and has a focus on AGEOD’s initial expertise about showing strategy, operational art of war and civil wars. That already hints a lot…

Philippe Thibaut
:thumbsup:

Pocus at the Wargamer:
http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=582860

"To guess the meaning of the title, try to use words in one of the native tongue... i.e Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Aztec, Greek, Zulus, whatever you can think about (good luck if it is based on Aztec Wars to get an English to Aztec dictionnary)"

This would be my guess:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alea_jacta_est

Anyway: Ageod riddles are fun.

Best regards

Franciscus

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:53 pm

That's it, for sure !!

AJE = Alea Jacta Est :coeurs:

Carnium

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Franciscus wrote:That'it, for sure !!

AJE = Alea Jacta Est :coeurs:

I second that :thumbsup:

Also I have just read an interesting thing in the book Great Commanders of the Ancient World that made me think a lot
...how little the technology of weaponry changed during the course of nearly two thousand years that it covers. Thutmose and Ramses would have instantly recognised the combination of horse, sword, arrow and spear that dominated the battlefield of Zhue Liang and Alaric

beuckelssen

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Now that the code has been broken, can we know more details about the game?
:neener:

El Nino

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Yes, but only in Latina. :wacko:

Florent

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Perhaps something with the Hadrian Wall ? :D

"A large Orange Hedge moving toward us " :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz3OKvt1f78

Aphrodite Mae

The ANSWER

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:41 pm

wosung wrote:Pocus at the Wargamer:
http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=582860

"To guess the meaning of the title, try to use words in one of the native tongue... i.e Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Aztec, Greek, Zulus, whatever you can think about (good luck if it is based on Aztec Wars to get an English to Aztec dictionary)"

If that isn't a blatent hint, then what is?!

The Aztecs spoke Nahuatl. Gentlemen, the mystery is solved! :w00t:

In Nahatl: Anales Jlateloloc Extililxochitl

...which roughly translates as "Epic struggle for exotic dancers", or possibly "Epic struggle for exotic playthings". (Same thing, really.)

If I may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know. :fleurs:

wosung wrote:Ageod riddles are fun.

Aren't they, though! :D
Aphrodite Mae

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:13 pm

If I'm reading this correctly (and I may not be because English is my second language) you seem to be saying that the next Ageod game will be something akin to "The Battle of the Pole Dancers".

If that is the case will it include videos? Will there be jaguar costumes and bright-colored qetzl feathers? And maybe black corn tortillas?

"Alea iacta est", by the way, would actually have been pronounced something like "Ale' iactast". We know this courtesy of metrical scansion in Plautus. It's not what he said, though. Plutarch tells us he was quoting Menander, so he said something very similar to it in Greek. He did this a lot -- his famous dying words were actually "kai su, teknon" (= you too, [my] son) and not "et tu, Brute".

Aphrodite Mae

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Philippe wrote:If I'm reading this correctly (and I may not be because English is my second language) you seem to be saying that the next Ageod game will be something akin to "The Battle of the Pole Dancers".

If that is the case will it include videos? Will there be jaguar costumes and bright-colored qetzl feathers? And maybe black corn tortillas?

Of course, I'm guessing, just like everyone else, but I expect that there will be "cut scenes" that will provide strong incentives to win each scenario.

At least, for men.

If my guess is right, I expect that this is going to make AGEod megabucks! It's just brilliant, to have conceived, designed, and brought to market a game that reflects history's greatest struggle: the struggle of men throughout the centuries to pursue and woo women! :w00t:

How will you equip yourself? With schmoozy lines and cash to buy drinks? Or will you choose the "sincere" strategy, with flowers that you purchased at a convenience store?

Think of the possibilities! Countless strategies, and countless tactical choices as you woo women through the ages! It's going to be epic, my friend. Epic!
Aphrodite Mae

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Feathers and jaguar costumes does sound a bit like the Folies Bergeres.

Yes, I think this is going to be a smash hit.

wosung

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:If that isn't a blatent hint, then what is?!

The Aztecs spoke Nahuatl. Gentlemen, the mystery is solved! :w00t:

In Nahatl: Anales Jlateloloc Extililxochitl

...which roughly translates as "Epic struggle for exotic dancers", or possibly "Epic struggle for exotic playthings". (Same thing, really.)

If I may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know. :fleurs:

Pardon, no:
Anales Jlateloloc Exochitl would be about those playthings.
Anales Jlateloloc Extililxochitl translates as "Epic struggle for rotten bananas"

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Aren't they, though! :D

The AJE riddle is nothing compared to your quiz. Esp. the picture questions are...

Thanks for that.

Aphrodite Mae wrote:If my guess is right, I expect that this is going to make AGEod megabucks! It's just brilliant, to have conceived, designed, and brought to market a game that reflects history's greatest struggle: the struggle of men throughout the centuries to pursue and woo women!

Wouldn't THAT AGE game be pretty one-sided in its distribution of tactical and strategic finesse?! But imagine all those ... weird symbols for "special abilities & traits"!

Best regards

gchristie
Brigadier General

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:56 pm

[SIZE="4"]Ah ha![/size]

With Maurice Chevalier the game sound track must include...

Thank heaven for little games
for little games get bigger every day!

they grow up in the most delightful way!

Those little bells and whistles so appealing
one day will flash and send you crashin' thru the ceilin'

thank heaven for them all,
no matter where no matter who
for without them, what would little boys do?

Thank heaven... thank heaven...
Thank heaven for little games!

:)
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Emeg
Private

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:17 pm

The AJE game will handle a very wide variety of scenarios and a huge time period. Well, I think this hint is clear for me.

The AGEOD developers will not longer make single AGE stand alone games. It is more efficient to revise the AGE engine, to make it suitable as being a core game, developed to work with various game packs, and DLCs. The revised AGE core make it for de developers much easier to create (on our request) rapidly scenarios, each of them situated in a specific historical situation that act in different situations, times and locations from the acient times until the 20th century. This AGE core game with its frequently launched new game packs shall give us, as intended by the developers, indeed [color="Red"]A[/color] [color="Red"]J[/color]oined [color="Red"]E[/color]xperience.
Greetings, Emeg

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:42 pm

A time frame in poem "ALEA IACTA EST " :)

Attila crossed the Danube
Hannibal crossed the Alps
Caesar crossed the Rubicon

And I crossed
My self
Burning all the flowers behind me..

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Liberal kitty cat?! You can't be serious? t

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Your Majesty: B/S to your choice. L3

Duckman
Sergeant

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 am

Emeg wrote:The AJE game will handle a very wide variety of scenarios and a huge time period. Well, I think this hint is clear for me.

The AGEOD developers will not longer make single AGE stand alone games. It is more efficient to revise the AGE engine, to make it suitable as being a core game, developed to work with various game packs, and DLCs. The revised AGE core make it for de developers much easier to create (on our request) rapidly scenarios, each of them situated in a specific historical situation that act in different situations, times and locations from the acient times until the 20th century. This AGE core game with its frequently launched new game packs shall give us, as intended by the developers, indeed [color="Red"]A[/color] [color="Red"]J[/color]oined [color="Red"]E[/color]xperience.

to me this sounds most reasonable too. and great news for all of us really :)

nemethand
Colonel

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:45 pm

Will it be multiplayer? (more than 2)

PhilThib

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Most scenarios we have seen are 3 players

beuckelssen

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:59 pm

PhilThib wrote:Most scenarios we have seen are 3 players

Mmmmm... the carthaginians vs the two roman consuls of each year? :neener:

It would be amazing, especialy if the two roman players had different scores of prestige points and they had to conspire a little against the other for being "the first man of Rome" but at the same time work together in order to win the war.

Florent

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:25 pm

What will be the scale of the game ? Operational like RoP or more strategic ?

Hohenlohe

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:08 pm

beuckelssen wrote:Mmmmm... the carthaginians vs the two roman consuls of each year? :neener:

It would be amazing, especialy if the two roman players had different scores of prestige points and they had to conspire a little against the other for being "the first man of Rome" but at the same time work together in order to win the war.

Just remember the historical situation...Carthaginians,Romans and Greek States in the whole eastern area,thus there are more opportunities for the Romans to a main victory on land and sea...

The Romans could have two different factions as subfactions like the populares and the optimates like in roman history...each subfaction has its own consul until Hanibal appeares then one faction offers a dictator and the other the praefectus equitum of the roman cavalry...

so much possibilities,so much changes,...the whole game will be favorable to play each side...

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:16 pm

If we were to believe that this new game had something to do with Roman Antiquity, it's really not that difficult to come up with meaningful three-player scenarios. I'm doing this purely from memory (and that is guaranteed to get you into trouble with the passage of time), but my impression after not having looked at it in ten plus years is that the majority of the scenarios in West End Games' Imperium Romanum were designed for more than two players. They did, however, include a wonderful note to the effect that just because a scenario was designed to be played by more than two players didn't mean that the extra players had much of a chance of surviving, but that if someone entered into the spirit of the game with true Roman fortitude and strength of character, the extra players would meet their fates with old-fashioned courage.

Moving right along, nothing could be easier than setting up a game for three players in the Second Punic War, especially if there were an active AI to control the non-player minors. The most obvious protagonists in a three player game would be the Carthaginians, the Romans, and the Macedonians. The AI could handle the boatload of small independants (e.g. Spanish, French, and Italian Gaulish tribes, Illyrian tribes, Numidians, Greek city states) as well as one or two larger states that would be lurking in the wings but that could be thought of as interested neutrals (e.g. the Seleucids and the Ptolemies).

If you wanted to restrict the worldview of a Second Punic War scenario to the Western Mediterranean, you could also cook up rules for a third player who would be in control of various neutrals as they flipped in and out of activation or alignment. We tend to think of the world of the Punic Wars as dividing itself into monolithic Roman or Carthaginian camps, but in reality it didn't work that way. Spain, Southern France, Northern Italy, Illyria, and North Africa had scores of independant entities of various sizes and importance whose shifting and often transitory allegiances had a lot to do with how winning strategies in the war were developed and implemented. It probably makes more sense to restrict third players to big independants like Macedon, but the point is that with a little creativity and imagination there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Since we're invoking Roman-themed speculation, there are an awful lot of Roman Civil Wars that lend themselves to three-player scenarios. Like the Year of the Four Emperors (Otho, Vitellius, and Vespasian, with Galba and Nero handled and killed off by the AI). A Roman Antiquity-based game would fit nicely into the new business model because all the different civil wars and period-based map changes could come out as DLC. Imperium Romanum covered about 800 years of history, and had a wonderful chart and index in the back of one of its rules booklets outlining the relative size and economic and military values of all of the towns, cities, and provinces during the different scenarios and periods of history. That is the kind of thing that a computer game can handle much more efficiently than a board game.

Ilitarist
Sergeant

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Philippe wrote:A Roman Antiquity-based game would fit nicely into the new business model because all the different civil wars and period-based map changes could come out as DLC.

The only problem I see is a naval warfare. As I see it, AGEOD isn't big fan of naval battles and in game about Roman world they are essential. Maybe not in civil wars. But any other war needs navy!

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Space aliens arrive to save the South. Everyone becomes a slave ... .

StephenT
Sergeant

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 pm

You know, if AGEOD want to lure all the Paradox fans over into playing an AGE engine game set in Roman times, there's one sure-fire guaranteed way to do so:

Make sure the scenarios don't just cover the Republic and Punic Wars era, but extend them the other way to cover Belisarius and Justinian and the 7th-century Arab conquests. For some reason I've never understood, everyone loves Byzantium...

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:07 pm

That is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, birds in the trees
- Those dying generations - at their song,
The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,
Fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long
Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
Caught in that sensual music all neglect
Monuments of unageing intellect.

An aged man is but a paltry thing,