Coldsteel
Sergeant

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:09 pm

A fun read! I'm hoping you can somehow come up with a crushing victory in Virginia. . .maybe the Union will blindly attack you at Richmond and just run right into your defenses (wouldn't that be nice).
If you could wipe out one of the Union Corps up there, that would be a nice swing!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:50 am

Barring the sudden fall of Richmond, I'd have to agree that you are entitle to, at the very least, a "moral" victory. Owning as much as you do - for example essentially all of Tennessee, Georgia, and the Carolinas, it seems to be that the Draft Riots in the North and the inability of the Union to "finish the job" would have caused an end to the war, although certainly the reelection of Lincoln in 64 might have made that impossible.

I didn't catch your post of the losses. How do they stand comparatively?

charlesonmission

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:48 am

I think Mortar has given up on taking Richmond, more details in the next turn post.

Coldsteel wrote:A fun read! I'm hoping you can somehow come up with a crushing victory in Virginia. . .maybe the Union will blindly attack you at Richmond and just run right into your defenses (wouldn't that be nice).
If you could wipe out one of the Union Corps up there, that would be a nice swing!

charlesonmission

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:49 am

They are about the same at 290,000 each. The Union might have losses of about 1,000 more.

Longshanks wrote:Barring the sudden fall of Richmond, I'd have to agree that you are entitle to, at the very least, a "moral" victory. Owning as much as you do - for example essentially all of Tennessee, Georgia, and the Carolinas, it seems to be that the Draft Riots in the North and the inability of the Union to "finish the job" would have caused an end to the war, although certainly the reelection of Lincoln in 64 might have made that impossible.

I didn't catch your post of the losses. How do they stand comparatively?

charlesonmission

Late March 1865 Part 1

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:52 am

Late March 1865 Part 1

The Union evacuates Corinth! A massive fleet with an Army appears of the coast of NC/SC.

Missouri

More on those exciting details later in the post! In Missouri, actually the Indian Territory as there are now no CSA forces in Missouri, which is a bit sad. Van Dorn and his 1,500 cavalry made the final journey to Ft. Smith. You might remember that this force was being chased by Crittenden’s corps. Crittenden’s corps didn’t move this turn and received reinforcements (a militia unit) in Carthage MO. The second Union move in this region is that the 1st MO brigade (Union) left Fayetteville on what appears to be a move to Ft. Smith. Van Dorn’s force is tired, so I’m setting them to rest and defend this turn. I don’t think Crittenden’s force could make it all the way there and I don’t believe the 1st MO brigade would be strong enough to defeat Van Dorn’s cavalry force. However, I could be wrong.

[ATTACH]16461[/ATTACH]

Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi

In Texas, there was no movement at all. The Union doesn’t have the forces here to make a move on Dallas, Houston, or Galveston as long as the Union force is separated. My intention is to get rid of Armstrong’s division to free another division for service somewhere else. Unfortunately, Armstrong is locked this turn.

In Louisiana, there is nothing to show. I do want to mention that Gordon’s division reached NO and will rest and recoup there.

On to Mississippi, there is quite a bit to talk about here, including the headline at the beginning of this post. First, I’ll get the easy items out of the way. My Sharpshooter unit fixed the RR in Monroe and will head back to Vicksburg. My militia unit took the harbour of Providence LA and will head back to Vicksburg. A lot has happened in this region with regards to Union movement. Clearly, Mortar wants to make something happen during the last year of the war. In a move that really shocked me, the Union has blown the depot in Corinth and evacuated the town. I confess, I really didn’t see that coming. There seems to be a general southern movement of Union forces away from the objective city of Memphis, also a surprise to me. However, it is possible the Union could turn around for a coordinated assault on Memphis. Okay, point by point, here is what happened. McPherson’s Corps of 2 divisions in Corinth blew the depot, evacuated the town and went SW to Pontotoc MS. Foster’s corps left Austin MS (SW of Memphis) and crossed the Tallahatchie river into Oxford MS. I don’t know if Foster’s corps is 1 division or more as it has a high hide value (possibly lots of cavalry?) What this does is put 2 corps between Cleburne’s strong force in Marshall MS and Watie’s light division in Grenada MS. If that weren’t enough to think about, there is more. Lyon’s (Army of the TN) has refitted, left Little Rock and gone by boat to Bolivar; Lyon’s army is 2 divisions. At first glance, this appears to be a move on Grenada. However, the Union forces could use ships to go down the Tallahatchie or Mississippi Rivers; which would bring them close to Vicksburg (objective) or Jackson MS which is more strategic than Grenada. What to do? First. I’m not going to send a division into Corinth straight away. The Union could double back and meet me with 3-4 divisions. I’ll send a cavalry regiment from Marshall MS. Pender’s division will leave Jackson MS and go north to Grenada. That will put 2 divisions in place there, with Pender taking over command. As that leaves Jackson open, Gordon will go north to take over the defences in Jackson. This covers Vicksburg, Grenada, and Jackson with some stout defence (about 30,000 men in all) with trenches of 7 to 8. To block any movement south of Vicksburg via the Mississippi river, the Mississippi fleet will take up a position in Joseph Run.

[ATTACH]16462[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16463[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16464[/ATTACH]

Tennessee

There were 2 ammo builds in TN, but as this 1.16 version has the ammo bug, this isn’t important. No GS builds and the supply situation remains a problem with many of the corps only having about 80% of full supply. There was no Union movement in TN KY, but I do see a rather large force gathering in Cairo IL. I will however make some moves. As the Union has evacuated Corinth, Pulaski TN is no longer threatened. From the Pulaski force I’m sending General Rhodes to Mobile to takeover over the defences there. Joseph Wheeler’s remaining force minus 1 regiment will go to Augusta GA to be prepared to move to counter the presumed upcoming Union invasion from the sea. Nashville GS is 0 /1345.

[ATTACH]16465[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Lmar5.JPG
LMar4.JPG
Lmar3.JPG
LMar2.JPG
LMar1.JPG

charlesonmission

Late March 1865 Part 2

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:58 am

Late March 1865 Part 2

Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina

As mentioned before, General Rhodes will go to Mobile AL to take over the defences there. I’m currently building four small infantry brigades in Mobile (8 regiments in total) in additional to the decent-sized Mobile force locked there. Once I get a couple more batteries there, this will be a nearly full-sized division.

[ATTACH]16466[/ATTACH]

And here is the large Union fleet with an army off the coast of SC. There seems to be 2 three star generals and 2 two star generals along with many regulars and leaders. There is no detailed information though. I’m assuming as I’m sure you are that this is the army that left Manassas a turn ago unless it is a master ruse! What does this mean for the CSA? Well, it isn’t good, that is for sure. By clicking on the strategic icon, you and I can see there are many more strategic locations than I have forces to man. In particular, Wilmington and Savannah would be big losses. Why defend Charlestown? It’s an objective city, which means in game turns I would take a NM loss if I lose the town. It also produces money, CS, WS, and quite a lot of GS. For me to defend Charlestown, I think I will be able to field about 20,000 men. Edward Johnson’s corps will leave NC and head to Charlestown with 7,500 men. From what is in Charlestown including being built there is 5,000 men. Wheeler will provide another 5,000 men. Finally, there are a couple other brigades being built nearby. The Charlestown defences are already level 6. Since Charlestown generates 105 per turn and could feed this force indefinitely. What I can’t do though is defend Wilmington and Savannah without putting in danger another department. Furthermore, I only have 24 RR capacity left, which means I can’t move any other forces this turn. I did think about moving Hampton from Decatur TN, but alas, no more RR! Historically, the loss of Wilmington and Savannah were near death blows for the Confederacy. However, since I still hold Norfolk, the supply situation of the AoNV is rather different than it was historically.

[ATTACH]16467[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16468[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16469[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LMar9.JPG
LMar8.JPG
LMar7.JPG
Lmar6.JPG

charlesonmission

Late March 1865 Part 3

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:01 am

Late March 1865 Part 3

Virginia

There was only 1 small Union movement on land, another brigade arrived in Manassas. What was more interesting is that a Union fleet led by Admiral which has 5 ironclads and 2 transports was turned back at Hampton Roads. This leaves the port of Norfolk open for business (blockaded cities have reduced production 50% less?). I’m making 1 move. The CSA fleet will target Dahlgern on conservative attack. I don’t see how the Union can take Richmond with the current forces there. General Wilcox has arrived in Norfolk, but he isn’t active this turn which means he can’t form a division.

Update - the CSA target will not target the Union fleet but hold Hampton Roads. I got worried that it could follow the Union fleet up Deleware....

[ATTACH]16470[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Here are the units that were created last turn.

Replacements – 1 elite, 5 line, 1 cavalry, 1 light artillery, 1 field artillery, 1 heavy artillery, 1 supply. This leaves me with 5 CS. All the mobilization CS are gone.

Industrialization - Tennessee low, Virginia none
RR - 30.

[ATTACH]16471[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16472[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LMar12.JPG
LMar111.JPG
LMar10.JPG

charlesonmission

Early April 1865 Part 1

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 am

Early April 1865 Part 1

The fleet arrives in Beaufort Bay and 2 divisions take Meridian Mississippi.

Missouri

Van Dorn’s force was prepared to meet the 1st MO brigade in battle, but the 1st MO brigade retreated. Van Dorn’s force will now head to Dallas as supplies are getting low.

[ATTACH]16498[/ATTACH]

Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi and Alabama

No movement in Texas. I’ve gotten rid of Armstrong’s Division in Dallas to free it up for use elsewhere.

There was no action in Louisiana, but some in Mississippi. I took Corinth back from the Union with a cavalry unit. Another Union force in Oxford MS destroyed the RR and went south to Holmes. It has a hide value of 3, and I’m not sure what it is, maybe a large cavalry Union force? It makes me nervous though. McPherson’s corps took the militia held Meridian and captured the lot. That union force has 16,000 men and power of 1,000. I’m going to make a few moves. My cavalry regiment in Corinth will rebuild the RR. Cleburne’s Division will go 1 region south to Oxford MS hoping to get a better look at the Union force in Holmes. Kershall will hold Marshal 1 more turn until it can ride the RR to Corinth, Watie’s division will hold Grenada. 1 cavalry regiment will leave Grenada 1 region south to Carroll to get rid of the Union cavalry there or rebuild the RR next turn. Pender’s division will leave Grenada to take up a defensive position in Canton MS (NE of Jackson). This allows me to guard against a small river and blocks protects Jackson. The Union captured a depot in Meridian, so that is a big negative, maybe I should have seen that coming and blown the depot. This means the Union divisions will resupply there. My biggest concern at this point is Mobile AL. Rhodes arrives but I can’t form a division with him this turn. The current power is only 191, but 4 more regiments are on the way as well as 3 other generals to reduce the CP. There is only 8 cannon there though so I'm building a 12 pound battery in AL this turn and I hope I get lucky with the build! There are 2 regions between Meridian and Mobile, both of which have mud. Mobile is also a marsh. Could McPherson make it all the way to Mobile? I certainly hope not because I think Rhodes would lose the battle and I have no way to send additional forces there this turn that would arrive on time. One final note, the Union’s Army of TN in Bolivar MS is on yellow supply already, indicating supply problems there.

[ATTACH]16499[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16500[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16501[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16502[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EApril 5.JPG
EApril4.JPG
EApril3.JPG
EApril2.JPG
EApril.JPG

charlesonmission

Early April 1865 Part 2

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Early April 1865

Tennessee

Nothing happened; I’m evacuating Decatur TN to move Hampton’s Division to SC. Forest’s cavalry division will still hold Chattanooga with 2 militia regiments.

South Carolina/Georgia and Virginia

There it is, it is McDowell with 6 divisions, which means about 45,000 men. This is a serious issue! For a moment, I had dreams of holding Savannah and Charlestown, but now that seems futile. The goal will be to hold Charlestown and Atlanta (if the Union goes that way). Okay, what can the Union do? The Union can land at Jackson SC or Beaufort SC. I though about contesting it, but as I’m not dug in; it seems too risky for me, yet again. What is in Charlestown? Basically Johnson’s corps is now part of Beauregard’s Army. So there is 1 army and 1 corps with defences of 4 and 5, trenches at level 6, and the hopes and dreams of the CSA! The army has 5,000 men; the corps, 7,500, with 54 cannon between them. However, Wheeler’s command of 5,600 and 15 cannon will join in 4 days along with a separate brigade of 1,800 from Camden. This pushes the numbers close to 20,000 men, against the Union’s 45,000; I really believe I will be able to hold it. I am also sending Hampton’s division here, but it takes 17 days to arrive, meaning it will be in Branchville on day 15. If the Union tries to go for Atlanta instead on a long overland march, we’ll address it. It’s hard to know what the Union will do, Savannah is easy, but it isn’t an objective city. I think the Union will go for Savannah first then Charlestown. I’m blowing the depot in Savannah this turn though.

[ATTACH]16503[/ATTACH]

Virginia

Incredibly, there is no movement here. I formed a division (small) with Wilcox in Norfolk and my fleet will head to Ft Monroe for repairs.

[ATTACH]16504[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Reinforcement – 1 twelve pound battery in AL.

Replacements – 1 elite, 1 line, 1 light artillery, 1 field artillery.

Industrialization - Tennessee high, Virginia low
Attachments
EApril7.JPG
EApril6.JPG

charlesonmission

Early April Part 3 - Updated MS Orders

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:10 am

I have decided to change my orders for MS. I will now evacuate Grenada. The 2 division in Greneda will take over the defences in Jackson, while Gordon's Division in Jackson will go take over the defences in Moblie via water (it takes 25 days to get there). I'm quite certain the Union won't be able to reach Moblie this turn though.

[ATTACH]16508[/ATTACH]

Charles
Attachments
EAprilNew.JPG

charlesonmission

Why evacuate Grenada?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:51 am

Why evacuate Grenada?

That is a question that occurred to me a couple turns ago. Basically, at this point, I feel that Grenada held up the Union for a good 6 months and it’s time to go. I’m worried about a coordinated effort toward the south either on Jackson/Vicksburg or New Orleans. To hold Vicksburg, I basically need to hold Jackson. Putting 3 divisions into the Jackson/Vicksburg defences puts up a more significant wall. Secondly, I need to form a division in Mobile or NO. Gordon is currently on the way to Mobile, but if the Union does make a move there this turn, I’ll probably turn the boats around for NO.

This could be an interesting campaigning season.

Charles

charlesonmission

Late April 1865 Part 1

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:58 am

Late April 1865 Part 1

Beauregard wins in Charlestown!

Missouri/IT

Not much to show. Van Dorn’s force made it to Fairmont IT, but is now locked there. I think they were ready for another break! They have enough supplies for about 1 ½ more turns.

Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi and Alabama

No movement in Texas. I’m sending a general from Galveston to NO to up the command there.

There was no action in Louisiana, but some movement in Mississippi. I was a little surprised, but the Union didn’t make any move toward the lightly defended Mobile Alabama, which is now becoming a more formidable force day by day. Step by step, here is what happened. The unknown Union force in Holmes MS left, crossed the Tallahatchie and went to Austin MS (SW of Memphis). This force is now identified as the corps of Foster (most likely cavalry, but not certain). At the same time, Sherman’s left the camp they were at in Madison AR and took the boats to Austin MS. Both of these corps consist of a division. They join the already present Curtis’ corps. The total power is now about 1,000. A small raider for led by Blunt also moved to Desoto MS (south of Memphis). My moves this turn will be to send Kershaw’s division to join the forces in Memphis. This will give the Memphis defence about 15,000 men. Cleburne’s division will take over the trenches in Marshal MS, with a further intent to move to Corinth in the near future.

[ATTACH]16513[/ATTACH]

Apart from a Union cavalry force arriving in Holmes, there was another Union movement, perhaps a significant one. Lyon’s force has left Bolivar heading south through the swamps and is now in Washington MS. I’m not sure what the intent of this is by the Union. The force is too weak by itself to threaten Vicksburg or Jackson or NO. Also, the supply levels for Lyon’s army are already at yellow.

[ATTACH]16514[/ATTACH]

McPherson’s corps didn’t move out of Meridian and it looks like they have already gone through all the depot’s supplies there.

[ATTACH]16515[/ATTACH]

In Alabama, I’ve formed a division in Mobile with General Rodes in charge. I was also lucky and the artillery reinforcement build there. I have 2 more infantry regiments that have almost arrived and a newly finished twelve pound battery in LA A cavalry regiment from Jackson will also be on its way. Pretty soon, it will be a force of 10,000 men, but with only 24 cannon. I’ll now turn Gordon’s division around the boats will land them at NO in 13 days.

[ATTACH]16516[/ATTACH]

In Tennessee there was no movement other than an ironclad that left Bowling Green. Perhaps the Union has build a new Mississippi fleet? There was an ammo build in TN this turn, but that is irrelevant as what I need is GS. The Nashville GS is 0 and Holmes’ corps is down to 60% of maximum supply.

[ATTACH]16517[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LApril5.JPG
LApril4.JPG
LApril3.JPG
LApril2.JPG
LApril1.JPG

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:18 pm

Brilliant ! AACW is still my favourite game after so many years and to read such an AAR is a delight, albeit notalgic one...

charlesonmission

Late April 1865 Part 2

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:11 pm

Late April 1865 Part 2

SC/Georgia

The Union landed 4 of the 6 division and went straight for Charlestown. Beauregard was there with 18,000 men to hold off the Union advance and won a +2 NM victory. It’s not a super victory, but the casualties are about 3 to 1 in the CSA’s favour. What will the Union do now? It’s hard to say. Mortar now knows what he’s facing in Charlestown, a decent-sized force that will now have level 7 trenches with a good general. The Union could come back with all 6 divisions, but I don’t think that will be enough to break through the defences. I’m also rallying a second force at Augusta GA to stop any inland advance. Augusta just had a full brigade finish. Hampton will turn the trains around for Augusta and A.S. Johnston will meet him there. There will be about 10,000 men in August in a few days. An engineer unit from VA is also being sent to oversee the trenches. The depot in Savannah was blown last turn.

[ATTACH]16518[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16519[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16520[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16521[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LApril9.JPG
LApril8.JPG
LApril7.JPG
LApril6.JPG

charlesonmission

Late April 1865 Part 3

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Late April 1865 Part 3

Virginia

In one of the more stunning turns of history, the action has moved away from Virginia. I’ve done 2 moves this turn. I’m sending a finished artillery battery from NC to join the division in Norfolk. And, my fleet will go to Cape Henry in the hopes of catching the smaller Union fleet there is a battle.

[ATTACH]16522[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

The Union morals is down to 107 and my morale is up to 93. The Union moral just dropped about 15 NM points this last turn. That must have been an event because the Union only lost 2 in the Charlestown attacked.

[ATTACH]16523[/ATTACH]

Reinforcement – 1 supply unit in AL (for the new Mobile division)

Replacements – 1 field artillery.

RR - 10
Attachments
Lapril11.JPG
LApril10.JPG

charlesonmission

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Can one have too much nostalgia?

Charles

veji1 wrote:Brilliant ! AACW is still my favourite game after so many years and to read such an AAR is a delight, albeit notalgic one...

charlesonmission

Early May 1865 Part 1

Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Early May 1865 Part 1

1 skirmish, but lots of Union movement and huge GS builds in TN.

Missouri/IT

Van Dorn’s force is still locked in Fairmont IT. The Union has now taken over the Indian villages of Cherokee and Creek with a small brigade.

Texas

I’m still holding Dallas, Houston, and Galveston against Union forces in New Mexico and Laredo. I don’t really expect much movement here and the CSA forces are in place to stop the Union advance considering what the Union has in the region.

Louisiana, and Mississippi

The Union continues to make a significant move towards Vicksburg and Jackson. Move by move, here is what happened. You might remember that the Union’s general Blunt has a small raiding party in Desoto MS last turn, this force moved south to lead the way to take up a position in Grenada. Cleburne’s division was heading north so just missed stopping this small force. What is more significant is that Sherman has joined up the separate division that were in Austin MS to lead a corps of 3 divisions south to Grenada as well. The Union now has Sherman’s corps, Blunt’s small force, and a cavalry unit in Grenada. However, they are already beginning to show some signs of supply issues as the supply levels are yellow. Cleburne's division will go to Chatanooga (more on this later) and my 2 divisions in Memphis will continue to hold there.

[ATTACH]16545[/ATTACH]

The second Union movement was the anticipated evacuation of Meridian. McPherson’s corps moved towards Jackson and is now NE of Jackson in Canton MS. The force in Jackson is nearly 1,000 power with level 8 trenches. McPherson’s supply levels are on orange.

[ATTACH]16541[/ATTACH]

The third Union move is Lyon’s continual move through the swamp south, with the force now in Tallalulu MS. Lyon’s supply level are on orange. The CSA force in Vicksburg has power of more than 600 also with level 8 trenches. If the Union is able to bring all three of these forces together before starving, it would present a problem. At this point, I’m going to keep the 2 division in Jackson and the 1 in Vicksburg because the Vicksburg position is based in the hills where the Union can’t use all of it’s forces as well. However, I’m going to send 2 regiments from NO to reinforce and a newly finished artillery battery from southern will take the boats to strengthen the position. I’m also sending 1 regiment from NO on the RR to Meridian to take back that town. Gordon’s division will continue to hold the vital NO. My fleet will hold it’s position off of Vicksburg.

[ATTACH]16542[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16543[/ATTACH]

Alabama

General Rodes division in Mobile continues to form, although the immediate threat appears to be gone. The division now has power of 517 and a cavalry regiment and artillery battery are still on the way.

[ATTACH]16544[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Emay.JPG
Emay5.JPG
Emay4.JPG
Emay3.JPG
Emay2.JPG

charlesonmission

Early May 1865 Part 2

Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Early May 1865 Part 2

Tennessee

For the first time in a while, the Union made a move here. First, the very good news for me; Newport +19 GS, Decaturville +19 GS, and Gallatin +16 GS. That’s quite a bit of supply to increase. Furthermore, the Union has left Knoxville in apparent evacuation there and has moved towards Chattanooga and Atlanta. Clearly, this needs to be dealt with. My force in Chattanooga is Forest’s cavalry division and 2 infantry regiments. The CSA force does have level 7 trenches and Chattanooga is located in a mountain. What I think I’m facing is the 2 Union cavalry division, or 1 cavalry division and 1 infantry division. Remember that Cleburne’s excellent division is on the way from the east and will arrive in Chattanooga in 8 days. As General Lee would say, we may have an opportunity here. What I’m doing is this. In addition to Cleburne moving east, I’m abandoning 2 defensive position on the TN line; Overton and Macon (the two on the farthest east of the line). A partisan unit will head to Knoxville to take back the town. General Bee’s corps will go SW to Cannon TN where there is a RR link, and General Polk’s corps will go supplement General Heth’s division in Nashville (Nashville will then have 15,000 men). What I’m trying to do here is to catch a Union force between Bee’s corps, Cleburne’s division coming from MS, Forest’s cavalry division holding Chattanooga, and the force that will now rally in Atlanta to hold that objective city (more on this down below).

[ATTACH]16546[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16547[/ATTACH]

South Carolina/Georgia

There was a battle in Beaufort which the Union easily won, moving the CSA regiment out of the way. Luckily for me, the regiment escaped and will now be going to Atlanta. According to the replay, McDowell is going for Savannah. This is interesting as it seems to me the Union now feels it can’t take Charlestown with its 6 division. McDowell’s 2 forces have nearly arrived in Savannah. It’s tempting to send everything I have at Newton’s corps, but it just seems to risky and losing Charlestown or Atlanta would be big losses. Instead, I will send AS Johnston and Hampton’s division to Atlanta in 7 days. The Union morale is dropping and is now down to 106. I hope I will still have an opportunity to catch the Union and grab one of these armies, either the force near Chattanooga or one of the 2 forces now in the Charlestown/Savannah region. Finally, the Union fleet has either left or it is still in Beaufort bay as that region is now in FoW.

[ATTACH]16548[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16549[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Emay9.JPG
Emay8.JPG
Emay7.JPG
Emay6.JPG

charlesonmission

Early May 1865 Part 3

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:09 pm

Early May 1865 Part 3

Virginia

There was 1 Union move here, a rather interesting one. 2 Union divisions left Burkeville and moved south of Petersburg. I wasn’t using the north south RR for supply, but it does make me wonder what the intent is. I still don’t have a full division in Norfolk yet, so I’m sending a small brigade and a battery from Petersburg to Norfolk via RR. Wilcox in Norfolk will then have about 6,000 men and 30 cannon. My fleet missed the Union fleet in Cape Henry and will return to Ft. Monroe. Also note that Kearny’s corps (south of Petersburg) are already on yellow supply. Supply in Richmond is 695 / 1892.

[ATTACH]16550[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Replacements – 1 line, 1 cavalry, 1 light artillery, 1 field artillery, 2 service

Finally, let’s look at the F9 screen. What is interesting here is that I’m now winning in VPs. Somehow, the Union has lost a lot. Perhaps through events. As I’ve never played the Union that far, nor the CSA this far, I don’t really know what is happening over there. My big hope is that I can get back to par with the Union on NM. It has been a long slow drive as my NM was down to about 80 at one point while the Union’s was above 120.

[ATTACH]16551[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Emay11.JPG
Emay10.JPG

charlesonmission

Late May 1865 Part 1

Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:17 am

Late May 1865 Part 1

Lots of Union movement.

Missouri/IT

Van Dorn’s force is still locked in Fairmont IT and now they are starving. I’m going to take Van Dorn out of the force and let Quantrill lead as he has a higher strategic rating.

Texas

Texas had a little Union movement. The small Union force that was in Laredo went east and disappeared. I believe they are in Temple Texas which is 2 regions away from Houston or Galveston. Either way, my forces in Houston or Galveston should be strong enough to hold them off.

Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama

Again, there was a lot of movement here.

Louisiana

General Gordon is in NO with a division. He will hold this position. The field artillery is 9 cannons short which will hopefully be replaced over the next couple turns. My general view is that the Union doesn’t have big intentions on NO, but the idea of leaving it un-garrisoned seems too risky to me. Especially now the Union is make moves in MS, if the Union got between me and NO on my RR, it might be able to take the city before I could get there.

[ATTACH]16558[/ATTACH]

Mississippi

There were two main moves by the Union in MS, one towards Vicksburg/Jackson; the other towards the AL border. First let’s look at Vicksburg Jackson. The Union force here consists of three main parts. Lyon’s force crossed the Yazoo River and is now just north of Vicksburg in Hayne’s Bluff. Lyon’s force either consists of 2 weak divisions, or 2 divisions with low cohesion. It’s worth saying the Vicksburg has supply of 354/614 and generates +5 a turn. I have another 1,000 men and 2 generals that will arrive in 3 days. This will give the Vicksburg force power of about 660, with level 8 trenches (48 cannon) led by Cheatham’s defensive rating of 3.

[ATTACH]16559[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16561[/ATTACH]

McPherson’s corps moved west into Clairborne, which cuts off Jackson and Vicksburg. This however was anticipated. McPherson has 2 strong divisions, but the supply level is already on orange. Jackson has supply of 248/613 but generates +36 a turn. The force in Jackson has power of 962 level 6 trenches (48 cannon) led by Pender’s defensive rating of 2.

[ATTACH]16560[/ATTACH]

What will the Union do? Hard to say, I think that even a coordinated attack on Vicksburg would fell, Jackson too. The Union may be trying to starve me out, but Vicksburg has a harbour and I have naval parity on the Mississippi. Also the RR link to NO is still open which would presumably still supply Jackson for the time being. However, I’m going to start with heavy industrialization in MS to up the farm output of the region to bring in more supplies. It is worth noting that neither Jackson nor Vicksburg is under siege, the Jackson-Vicksburg RR link has been cut. This is significant, but not a game changer, especially since I believe Vicksburg will continue to bring in supplies via the harbour, as the harbour isn’t blockaded yet. The Union has brought a naval fleet down, but it is about half the size of mine. I’ll have my fleet go to the Vicksburg harbour this turn. I hope that the Union will try to attack me and be heavily bombarded by the Vicksburg guns. Then next turn, come back out for an attack.

[ATTACH]16562[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Lmay5.JPG
Lmay4.JPG
Lmay3.JPG
Lmay2.JPG
Lmay.JPG

charlesonmission

Late May 1865 Part 2

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Late May 1865 Part 2

Mississippi/Alabama (continued)

The 2nd Union move in MS saw the majority of the forces in Grenada leave the town. The Union force split into 3 parts, Blunt’s small force held Grenada. Foster’s corps of 1 division moved to Fulton AL. Sherman’s 2 divisions moved SE to Sullivan AL. It’s unfortunate that Foster’s force went to Fulton as my supply wagon was built there and had just finished being built. I will now attempt to take it out of Fulton and send it via river before Foster takes the town. I had a regiment arrive in Meridian which will take the town next turn. I’m sending the regiment 1 region north though as I anticipate having to take back Fulton next turn. Sherman’s supply level is orange, Foster’s is yellow. There aren’t too many depots near by, the closest being Pulaski to the north in TN and Mobile in southern Alabama. Montgomery AL might be an interesting target for Sherman, but there is no depot there.

[ATTACH]16563[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16564[/ATTACH]

Tennessee

There might be some action in TN in the near future. My realignment went off perfectly. Polk has taken over the defences of Nashville (Polk’s defensive rating is now 3 thanks to Joe Johnston). My partisan unit took back Knoxville and will now rebuild the RR before heading to Bradley TN while taking back Decatur on the way. General Bee’s corps arrived in Cannon TN and will now go to Pulaski to protect the depot there. Cleburne’s division arrived in Chattanooga (more on this later).

[ATTACH]16565[/ATTACH]

The big Union move is that Buell has formed a rather large army in Columbus KY. This Union army has power of 2,429. That is a significant enough of a threat for me to change some of my formations to strengthen that part of the line. Here is what the CSA will do. 3,300 men and 7 cannon from Memphis will go to Magruder’s corps in Henry TN. 2,300 men and 7 cannon will go to AP Hill’s corps in Humbolt TN. 1,400 men and 7 cannon will go to Magruder’s corps from Polk’s corps in Nashville. This will give AP Hills corps power of 950 and Magruder’s corps power of 800. Both of these positions are already on level 8 trenches with both commander having defence values of 4. The Memphis defences will have 10,000 men and 49 cannon.

[ATTACH]16566[/ATTACH]

The last picture to look at in TN is the Chattanooga force. This is now a pretty good attacking force of Cleburne’s division and Forest’s cavalry division. What we can now see is that Sheridan leads a force of 2 divisions, which now have yellow supply levels. To the SE of Sheridan in Atlanta is the Atlanta defences led be AS Johnston with a division plus. At this point, I will wait and see what Sheridan's move is. I had hoped to have Bee's forces in Chatanooga this turn, but the Union move into Alabama has made me move them to protect the depot in Pulaski. Regarding supply in TN, Nashville built GS of +17 and Johnston city built +18. This combined with last turn’s builds and taking back Knoxville will free up some of the supply constraints for TN. Nashville now has 20/1299 and Memphis 61/840. I believe after the next turn all supply wagons in TN will be 100% full again.

[ATTACH]16567[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Lmay10.JPG
LMay9.JPG
Lmay8.JPG
Lmay7.JPG
Lmay6.JPG

charlesonmission

Late May 1865 Part 3

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Late May 1865 Part 3

Georgia/SC

The Union didn’t move this turn. I’m guessing McDowell was locked. AS Johnston now holds Atlanta with a division plus protecting the city from Sheridan’s 2 divisions. McDowell’s 2 divisions have orange supply, Newtown’s 4 division have yellow supply.

[ATTACH]16568[/ATTACH]

Virginia

There was 1 battle which was a stalemate. However, my regiment fled the region and will now go to Lexington NC. What is more interesting is the Union taking Garysburg with Kearny’s corps. As I mentioned before, my VA supply line is through the harbour of Norfolk and not through NC. Having a naval fleet on the James has paid off this game. This means that the loss of Garysburg has little meaning on the ability of the AoNV to defend Richmond. The Norfolk division now has power of 400, which is a little light. I’m going to send Wilcox’s division in Norfolk 3 regiments from Richmond. The only other movement in Richmond is that my cavalry regiment took Covington. This regiment will now destroy the RR in Milboro and head to Christiansburg.

[ATTACH]16569[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16570[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Replacements – 1 line, 1 cavalry, 1 light artillery, 1 field artillery

Industrialization - Tennessee low, Virginia low, Mississippi high

RR – 20
Attachments
Lmay13.JPG
Lmay12.JPG
Lmay11.JPG

charlesonmission

Early June 1865 Part 1

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:41 am

The Union takes Savannah, but Mobile stays in CSA hands after an attack by Sherman. More details later.

Charles

charlesonmission

Early June 1865 Part 1

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Early June 1865 Part 1

Things are really beginning to move. The Union takes Savannah as the CSA didn’t contest the port city, but Sherman falls short in Mobile. A large Union force amasses in Kentucky, but the Union forces in Mississippi and Georgia are already under major supply constraints. A Union corps paves a path through North Carolina, but to what end? It should be a final interesting 6 months.

Missouri/IT

Finally this force is unlocked and they will only have to starve for 1 more turn. There are some Union moves in this area to talk about. First, the Union’s 2 small brigades have left the Indian villages, either to go toward the front or because they couldn’t be supplies there. I will send Van Dorn and 1 Indian regiment to take back all 3 Indian villages in 1 turn. The Indians can really move fast. What is more interesting though is the second Union move. Crittenden’s corps left Fayetteville and took the boat to Madison. Madison is a possible staging point for an attack on Memphis. Although I think it is more likely that the force would land south and attack from Austin MS rather than over the RR bridge across the Mississippi River. This moves puts about 2 Union divisions in Madison. Quantrill will take the rest of the IT cavalry force to Dallas to receive rations and recover.

[ATTACH]16578[/ATTACH]

Texas

The Union attempted a battle for Houston on day 13, but retreated before the first shots were fired. It is a small Union force, so this wasn’t that surprising. I’m making a coupe moves here, a cavalry regiment from Houston will try to go behind the Union force and take back the town of Laredo. 1 general will go to Galveston to eliminate the command penalty there.

[ATTACH]16579[/ATTACH]

Again, there was a lot of movement here.

Louisiana

No moves here, General Gordon’s division continues to hold New Orleans.

Mississippi

There were 3 moves in Mississippi. The first one is that the Union has now concentrated all Jackson/Vicksburg campaign forces in Claiborne. There is power of about 1700, but supply levels are now on yellow for the Army of TN and orange for McPherson’s corps, I would guess. 1,700 power is a decent sized force, but Jackson and Vicksburg are also in strong defensive positions as outlines in the last turn. In addition, Vicksburg built +24 GS this turn which puts away some of the concern about potential supply problem there.

[ATTACH]16580[/ATTACH]

I took back the town of Meridian but then a Union brigade took it back from me. I’ll now send my regiment to Gainesville AL to take back that town. Blunt’s raiding force is landing at Fayette AL. You might not be able to see it, but I’m sending my cavalry regiment in Corinth to go through and head all the way to Bolivar. This will take back the two towns. At this point, Corinth doesn’t have a significant role to play for me as the Union blew the depot during its evacuation. The Union fleet is still just north of Vicksburg. I’ve decided to keep my fleet in Vicksburg for at least 1 more turn for repairs.

[ATTACH]16581[/ATTACH]

Alabama

Well, it happened. The long awaited attack on Mobile. Sherman force began the turn in Gainesville AL. The force did a forced march to Mobile arriving on day 13. Sherman’s force, which outnumbered me by a little, but with a big difference in artillery, gave it a good shot. However, the battle didn’t last very long. My side actually had higher power and were in good defensive position. Casualties were light for the CSA and pretty light for the Union too. Sherman’s force is now located in Washington AL, just north of Mobile. They have some options, but I’m not sure they are too many good ones. One option is to attack Mobile again. However, now that the Union knows what the CSA can field there, that doesn’t seem likely. The other 2 obvious options are going west to meet up with the Union’s Jackson/Vicksburg campaign or continuing farther inland into Alabama. Montgomery is a ways away but would be a good city to take. However, Montgomery doesn’t have a depot.

[ATTACH]16582[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EJune5.JPG
EJune4.JPG
EJune3.JPG
EJune2.JPG
EJune1.JPG

charlesonmission

Early June 1865 Part 2

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Early June 1865 Part 2

Tennessee/Kentucky

There were 2 moves in Kentucky, both of which were rather significant. The first is the Union corps I talked about last time in Columbus KY has moved 1 region to the east to Graves KY. The Union left a small division (power 312) in Columbus to hold that position. The combined Union corps in Graves, led by General Wallace, now has power of about 2,730, or around 35,000 men. This is a significant force, especially if an attack is coordinated with Grant’s 2 divisions in Ft. Henry. Now, I was moving some forces to reinforce AP Hill’s corps and Magruder’s corps. It seems I made a rather large mistake by sending the forces from Nashville through Waverly Run via river movement. They were bombarded by Ft. Henry and received 51 hits, which I presume destroyed them. It just shows that I still don’t know exactly how the bombard function works in relation the double adjacency rule, as Waverly Run appeared to be south of Ft. Henry. However, there is a bit in the north that touches the Ft. Henry land, which perhaps then makes it a viable bombard target. Since this AAR is supposed to be for new players as well, perhaps a veteran here would like to put a comment of the best explanation of the double adjacency rule and how to know if a region is subject to it? Moving, on, my other forces from Memphis did arrive to reinforce these corps. AP Hill’s corps has power of 1,029, but Magruder’s is only 785. I’m going to send the Kershaw’s small division in Memphis (power 163) to Magruder. This will bring that force close to 1,000 power. That puts the odds 2.5 to 1 in favour of the Union without MTSG. However, with level 8 trenches, I believe that will be enough to hold the position. Memphis will be left with a full division.

[ATTACH]16583[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16584[/ATTACH]

The other Union move is that a decent-sized supplementary force has arrived in Warren KY. The Union may be trying a left hook to sweep around Joe Johnston’s forces and attack Nashville from the east. I pulled out of Macon and Livingston before, so I can’t stop this. However, Polk’s corps (power 941) is holding Nashville with level 8 trenches.

[ATTACH]16585[/ATTACH]

General Bee arrived in Pulaski and my partisan unit took back Decatur. Cleburne’s force still controls Chattanooga. Bee and Forest’s cavalry division will go to Tuscumbia. Cleburne’s division will hold Chattanooga. If we are lucky, Bee and Forest can combine next turn to attack Foster’s 1 division corps in northern AL. I’ll then have to deal with Sheridan later, if he is still around. I think Sheridan might head back north through TN to KY this turn, so we’ll see.

[ATTACH]16586[/ATTACH]

The big Union move is that Buell has formed a rather large army in Columbus KY. This Union army has power of 2,429. That is a significant enough of a threat for me to change some of my formations to strengthen that part of the line. Here is what the CSA will do. 3,300 men and 7 cannon from Memphis will go to Magruder’s corps in Henry TN. 2,300 men and 7 cannon will go to AP Hill’s corps in Humboldt TN. 1,400 men and 7 cannon will go to Magruder’s corps from Polk’s corps in Nashville. This will give AP Hills corps power of 950 and Magruder’s corps power of 800. Both of these positions are already on level 8 trenches with both commander having defence values of 4. The Memphis defences will have 10,000 men and 49 cannon.

Georgia/South Carolina

The long awaited fall of Savannah finally happened.

[ATTACH]16587[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EJune10.JPG
EJune9.JPG
EJune8.JPG
EJune7.JPG
EJune6.JPG

charlesonmission

Early June 1865 Part 3

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Early June 1865 Part 3

Georgia/SC (continued)

It is disappointing to lose Savannah, but being threatened on both sides means making hard choices and giving up important places some times. This turn, I’m destroying the depot in Augusta GA, the next tempting location for this Union force. I also got a little lucky in that it looks like the Savannah artillery made it out and will catch the last train from Savannah onward to Atlanta. There will be some supplies in Savannah for the Union, but both Union forces are on red supply levels. It will be interesting to see if they start to take on some hits this turn. I’m sending Beauregard’s Army, but not Johnson’s corps from Charlestown to Wilmington, more on this in the section below.

[ATTACH]16588[/ATTACH]

Virginia and North Carolina

The Union has moved farther into NC. What I’m doing is sending Beauregard’s army (power 438) to make a real defensive position in Wilmington. Beauregard will arrive in 9 days via the RR. I think the Union can’t arrive that fast as the force doesn’t seem to be a cavalry force. If the Union attack Wilmington next turn, it will run into basically a division with level 7 trenches. Meanwhile, Charlestown is held by about 2 divisions, which should be enough considering the current Union situation there dealing with supply. Wilmington doesn’t hold the strategic position it does for me as it did historically. Mainly because my AoNV supply line goes through Norfolk and not NC.

[ATTACH]16589[/ATTACH]

In Virginia, there wasn’t much movement. A Union regiment beat my cavalry unit to Christiansburg. My cavalry unit will now go to Garysburg NC to take back the town. I think the Union has given up on Richmond, and now at this point, it sort of feels like it would be difficult to get the forces together for another massive Richmond move. After the SC sea invasion, the new Union forces have been moving to KY, not VA.

[ATTACH]16590[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Replacements – 1 line, 1 cavalry, 1 light artillery, 1 field artillery

Industrialization - Virginia low, Mississippi high. TN now produces 559 GS per turn, which for now, is enough to supply my Army of TN.

RR – 10

Here are a couple more game mechanic questions in addition to the bombard question in post 2 for the veterans out there.

1. Does NM fall for both sides slowly in 1865 because of war fatigue? My NM is down to 90, the Union’s 104.
2. How does the game decide when a brigade/division receives a new unit through message? For instance in message number 11.

[ATTACH]16591[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EJune14.JPG
EJune13.JPG
EJune12.JPG
EJune11.JPG

Jim-NC

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:55 pm

My answers to your questions are:

1. Not in my experience. The drop off happens in 1866 (after the end of the game). I once played until 1867 (after the "end" of the game, both sides NM dropped by 1 point per round).

2. I am not 100% sure (I think it is random). Your unit now (after 1.16) needs to be on a depot. You get 1 element per stack, based on what replacements you have. But I think that which brigade gets the element is random.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

charlesonmission

Late June 1865 Part 1

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:08 am

There was a huge battle in Henry TN which the Union won. However, Magruder's corps are still there at the end of the turn holding the trenches and the Union did take more casualties, albeit slightly. The Union is also now moving towards NO from the Jackson/Vicksburg campaign. Other Union forces are taking supply hits. More details to come later.

[ATTACH]16618[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Henry.JPG

charlesonmission

Late June 1865 Part 1

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:34 am

Late June 1865 Part 1

The Union wins a big battle in Henry TN, but the CSA doesn’t retreat and the Union takes more casualties in the battle. Looks like a move on NO, and the Union experiences supply problems. Lots happening!

Missouri/IT

This was a rather successful turn here. Van Dorn and an Indian regiment swept through the IT and took the 3 Indian villages for the CSA. The Union sent a MO brigade to Fairmont IT, but my force was already gone. The rest of the IT cavalry force made it to Dallas with no problems.

Texas

A CSA cavalry regiment from Houston made it Laredo and took control of the town for the CSA. The regiment is now on the way back to Houston. I’m sending 1 general from Galveston to New Orleans to up the command structure there. 1 general will leave Dallas and go to Galveston to replace the one that is off to New Orleans.

Louisiana/Mississippi – I will discuss these two states together because they are really a single department. Last turn, Jackson/Vicksburg was threatened by 2 Union full divisions plus 2 weak Union divisions. There wasn’t an attempted attack on Jackson or Vicksburg, instead, the Union forces split and headed south towards New Orleans. And, this is why it is important that NO has a division. McPherson’s corps made it to Springfield, while Lyon’s division seem tired and slow and only went to Pike MS. In New Orleans, there is a very strong division led by General Gordon. There are about 10,000 men dug in around New Orleans with level 8 trenches. Furthermore, the land is a swamp which would limit the Union’s greater numbers. It’s hard to say what the Union will do now. Now that it sees there is a division there, I would be surprised if they would attack. Baton Rouge is nearby and has 93 GS, it may go there, but 93 GS isn’t a lot when you are dealing with several divisions that need to be fed. Both Union forces are on yellow supply levels, so they haven’t taken supply hits yet. What I’m doing to reinforce NO is send a general from Galveston, mentioned earlier, and a battery and infantry regiment from Mobile. Both the general and forces will arrive in 18 days. The Union fleet on the Mississippi entered Joseph Run and took 43 hits. This is the opportunity I’ve been looking for. My fleet will leave Vicksburg and enter Joseph Run on attack. Meanwhile, up in the north of MS, Foster’s corps have taken over Corinth. However, Bee’s corps has now combined with Forest’s cavalry division in Tuscumbia AL. This force will now target Foster’s corps. As this force will arrive in 2 days, I think that is has a very good chance of catching Foster out in the open, and perhaps capturing the lot. Foster’s corps is on red supply, so I’m guessing they have taken some supply hits. Furthermore, they are only 1 division and aren’t dug in. I had a cavalry regiment take back Grenada and Bolivar. This turn it will try to take back Helena AR. I don’t want the Union to get any free supply from un-garrisoned towns.

[ATTACH]16621[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16622[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16623[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16624[/ATTACH]

Alabama

Over in Alabama, Sherman made a move for Montgomery as I speculated. However, an interesting thing happened, he didn’t attack the town which left the town in CSA hands. This may be because Sherman’s division have such low power values (low cohesion and supply hits) and there were 2 regiments in Montgomery. I’m not targeting Sherman with Hampton’s division on attack, who will arrive in 5 days. A force of 4 regiments will leave Mobile and go to the position SW of Sherman to block any movement that way. If all goes well, we’ll catch Sherman. The other Union force entering AL is Sheridan’s, Sheridan’s command left Rome GA and took over Talladega. Unfortunately, I can’t get to him this turn, but I’m sending Cleburne’s division from Chattanooga to just west of Sheridan’s force to see what Sheridan looks like and possibly attack next turn. One final note, I had a regiment take back Sullivan AL and now it will take the boats to Fulton AL to take back that town.

It’s rather exciting to see the CSA on the attack again. We’ll see what happens!

[ATTACH]16625[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LJune5.JPG
LJune4.JPG
LJune3.JPG
LJune2.JPG
LJune1.JPG

charlesonmission

Late June 1865 Part 2

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Late June 1865 Part 2

Tennessee

We had our first massive battle in a while.

[ATTACH]16626[/ATTACH]

The CSA lost the battle. But the good news is, at least I think it is good news, is that Magruder failed to retreat. This means that Magruder is still in place in level 8 trenches. I had 3 elements destroyed, 2 infantry regiments and 1 artillery battery. As far as the battle goes, AP Hill MTSG, but it just wasn’t enough to push all of the Union forces back. My luck rate was 48, the Union’s 49. Power at the beginning was 1,992, Union 2,719. This just shows that the Union doesn’t always need 3 to 1 advantages to win. However, having said that, the Union did take some serious casualties. The Union force is still in Henry TN with power of 1347. My force has power of 502. AP Hill has gone back to his position in Humboldt, and now has power of 601. This is a tricky situation, I definitely don’t want a hold in my line, so I’m leaving Magruder there. However, the Union could abandon Ft. Henry and Donelson and come over with 2 fresh divisions that didn’t take part in the battle. I think that they would first go to Graves KY to avoid crossing a major river though. All in all, this is an interesting move, is the target Memphis or Nashville, or neither. Maybe the target is the Army of TN itself. I don’t have any reinforcements to send that would arrive in time for another battle, so, I’m betting that my current forces there can hold. What I will do is send 1 brigade from Hill to Magruder. The only other move in TN apart from Cleburne’s and Bee’s which I mentioned in the first post, is my partisan unit will fix the RR in Bradley KY and then take back Rome GA for the CSA.

[ATTACH]16627[/ATTACH]

Georgia and South Carolina

I think the Union has been frustrated in this campaign. First, losing the battle in Charlestown, then it took a couple turns to secure Savannah. The Union has now built a depot in Savannah and the Union fleet is harboured there. However, Ft. Pulaski is still garrisoned by the CSA. If I’m not mistaken, this will block naval supply from reaching the Savannah depot. Of course, Savannah will produce some supply, but it won’t be enough for 6 divisions. The map shows Newton’s corps in Beaufort SC, but actually they are going towards Savannah and have nearly arrived. At this point, I think the Union refits in Savannah before going back at Charlestown, or possibly Atlanta. Beauregard is away in Wilmington, leaving the Charlestown defences with about 10,000 men. Atlanta is held by a hold force led by AS Johnston of about 3,000 men. At this point, CSA strategy is to his Foster’s corps in Corinth and Sherman’s corps in Montgomery this turn. Next turn hit Sheridan, and then be back to defend Atlanta, Charlestown, or some other priority.

[ATTACH]16628[/ATTACH]

Virginia and North Carolina

North Carolina is a rather interesting situation. As I predicted Kearney’s corps moved on Wilmington. Beauregard arrived on day 9, it looks like the Union force arrived on day 13. There was no battle though, and power levels are pretty much even. The Union force is on yellow supply though. I’m hoping that military control will force the Union to attack next turn as I’m rather certain P.G.T. would win. However, I’ve never quite been able to figure out this part of the game. Many times Mortar’s forces have escaped me! I’m blowing the depot in Lexington NC, and sending the regiment to Norfolk. I hate to see 300 GS go to waste, but I have no way of getting the supply to VA. We’ll see what Kearney does next turn. I had a cavalry regiment take back Garysburg, and it will take back Goldsboro this turn.

[ATTACH]16629[/ATTACH]

Virginia

Again, not much happening, It looks like a raider force arrived in Christiansburg. Other than that, all is quiet. Richmond did build a +21 GS though. And, I’m sending a signal unit from Longstreet to Charlestown.

[ATTACH]16630[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Embargo

8% bonds

Volunteers with 1,000 bounty

Replacements – 1 elite, 12 line, 1 cavalry, 1 field artillery, 1 supply, 1 service asset

Reinforcements - 1 small brigade in VA (with sharpshooter), 1 small brigade in TN (with twelve pound battery)

Industrialization - Mississippi medium.

RR – 40

CSA NM – 90

Union NM - 103
Attachments
LJune9.JPG
LJune8.JPG
LJune7.JPG
LJune6.JPG
Henry.JPG

Return to “American Civil War AARs”