vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Woe!Can't play PON because computer broke down.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:43 pm

It is really hard not to be able to play PON, but my computer turns off if I do anything but the Internet. I cannot play a single game, but the one I really miss is PON.

Even with its problems, this game is so fascinating! I have to get this thing fixed so I can play it!

Gray_Lensman

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:25 pm

deleted

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Woe! Can't play PON because computer broke down

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:36 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:A guess here:

Sounds like your graphic card or power supply is going bad or maybe just overloaded/overheating.

Reason for guess:

Using the internet doesn't put much load on the graphics card. On the other hand, most games pose a much higher demand on the graphics card resulting in a much higher power drain on the power supply.

For starters, unplug the computer, then try carefully blowing out the dust in your computer case paying particular attention to the power supply and graphics card themselves. :)

Thanks, Gray. I really appreciate your help and I will try doing that.

Hohenlohe

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Sounds like your graphic card or power supply is going bad or maybe just overloaded/overheating.

Reason for guess:

Using the internet doesn't put much load on the graphics card. On the other hand, most games pose a much higher demand on the graphics card resulting in a much higher power drain on the power supply.

For starters, unplug the computer, then try carefully blowing out the dust in your computer case paying particular attention to the power supply and graphics card themselves. :)

Dear vaalen, as I had got the same problem last year with my old system I know that Gray_Lensmen is very right with his assumption. It is very useful to clean your machine inside regularly to protect the very sensitive parts from dust and dirt that you can have fun with your machine for a long time.

But be cautious, don't clean your PC with plugged-in AC/DC cables therefore you MUST separate it before and before you open the case you should earthen yourself because of any static problem coming around then clean it cautiously inside with a anti-static cloth without any alcohol inside, only with some warm watered cleaning cloth and be especially cautious cleaning the motherboard and the cpu unit and the graphic card. It would be very useful indeed to implement some additional cooling fans to improve cooling to stabilize your machine if it is somehow heating.

If all cleaning trials does not help then you must substitute the most sensitive and dirtiest parts inside your machine and thus you should look for more high quality products do not save in the wrong places...

have luck and fun...

greetings

Hohenlohe, who has paid too much for his own wrong-doing the last two years...*sigh*
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Aurelin
Colonel

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Mine started giving me the BSOD, and the error messages led me to think my vid card went TU.

Took it out, used the MB video, and after awhile, started happening again.

Turned out the motherboard took a powder........

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Woe!Can't play PON because computer broke down

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:21 am

Hohenlohe wrote:Dear vaalen, as I had got the same problem last year with my old system I know that Gray_Lensmen is very right with his assumption. It is very useful to clean your machine inside regularly to protect the very sensitive parts from dust and dirt that you can have fun with your machine for a long time.

But be cautious, don't clean your PC with plugged-in AC/DC cables therefore you MUST separate it before and before you open the case you should earthen yourself because of any static problem coming around then clean it cautiously inside with a anti-static cloth without any alcohol inside, only with some warm watered cleaning cloth and be especially cautious cleaning the motherboard and the cpu unit and the graphic card. It would be very useful indeed to implement some additional cooling fans to improve cooling to stabilize your machine if it is somehow heating.

If all cleaning trials does not help then you must substitute the most sensitive and dirtiest parts inside your machine and thus you should look for more high quality products do not save in the wrong places...

have luck and fun...

greetings

Hohenlohe, who has paid too much for his own wrong-doing the last two years...*sigh*

Dear Hohenlohe, Thank you so much for the good advice. I was wondering about some of the details, and your advice is most welcome.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the people on this forum are terrific!

Hohenlohe

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:21 am

As I has recognized sofar most technical PC problems resulted from the highly modern CPU and Motherboard technology which are used nowadays because especially the boards and the cpus are so densely packed that they likes to overheat to fast in terms of temperatures especially if you use your machine very actively for more than 6 hours in sequence.

Thus it is useful to install additional cooling elements and to clean the PC inside regularly. In most of our urban environments we got a strong dust influence due to some different sources...

And additionally most PCs are often out of date after two or three years due to a lesser quality equivalent to past years. thats very sad but most of our Computer producers have very short development and production cycles related to former times.

Thats the price for some low cost produced PCs...

sofar my personal experiences...

Hohenlohe, who do not want bother anyone...*smile*
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:01 am

deleted

Hohenlohe

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:07 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Incidentally, for those with laptop rigs... When blowing the dust out, you should ALWAYS direct the first burst of canned air thru the exhaust ports in order to clear the dust off the back side of the fan blades directly back out those same fan ports. Only after you've done that should you direct more canned air into the laptop thru those same fan inputs.

Reason, if not already obvious, is that you don't want that built up dust on the back side of the fan blades to be deposited INTO the laptop. :)

Thx for your good advice, dear Gray, but it is additionally helpful to regard the possibility of some overheating if your laptop has a fan at the bottom of your laptop like my Toshiba Satellite. Then you must set it on some small wooden blocks at each corner and before that clean your working place with a wet cleaning cloth to put any dust and dirt away, especially if you are a smoker like I am...*sigh* I really know about what I talk...*sigh*

And you should consider that it is most helpful to use a laptop definitely not for gaming if possible because there you will get some massive heating problems over time if you are playing too long...(around 4-6 hours of use are a certain maximum limit per day...)

It is really better to purchase a good PC made for gamers or to build it together by yourself if you have enough technical experience with good quality products. To buy too cheap PC parts is not helpful because you get too early some certain problems and the costs for your Computer will become too high in terms of repair costs or new purchases over time...

Thats just my sixpence on behalf of my very own experiences since my first own PC 20 years ago...

heartly greetings

Hohenlohe

edit: on behalf of PCs I am missing the longevity of any PC system and the ecological "Nachhaltigkeit"(sry, do not know the related substantive...)
We will get eventually some heavy problems with rare materials worldwide and therefore with some IT developments because of our wrong-doing at behalf of too short production cycles...but I do not want to discuss such things at this forum...it seems to me that it will be better discussed at any Greenpeace forum, sry for that...
R.I.P. Henry D.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 pm

Reason for guess:

Well Gray, I did exactly as you advised, and it worked!
I am back to playing PON, thanks to your great advice.

Thanks again for your generous help.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:56 pm

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:04 am

deleted

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Woe! Can't play PON because computer broke down.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:15 am

I spoke too soon. I was able to pay PON for a few turns, then the computer turned itself off again.

If anyone has an idea of what to do, I would appreciate it.

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:31 am

deleted

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:52 am

My PC showed similar symptoms but one problem was an inadequate power supply. Replaced the old 400-watt with a 550 watt unit and many of the problems disappeared. However, some issues remain that appear be related to a failing video card. Whether one failure caused the other is unknown but possible.

Sometimes one malfunctioning component may mask another.

Good Luck!

AndrewKurtz

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:58 am

vaalen wrote:I spoke too soon. I was able to pay PON for a few turns, then the computer turned itself off again.

If anyone has an idea of what to do, I would appreciate it.

I've had similar issues and over heating was the cause. On that machine, I literally left it open (no case and I even blew a fan on it) and never had another problem.

Hohenlohe

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:27 am

AndrewKurtz wrote:I've had similar issues and over heating was the cause. On that machine, I literally left it open (no case and I even blew a fan on it) and never had another problem.

Dear Andrew, on a first view it is right doing like you did, but on the longrun dust and dirt can be problem again especially that you has an open machine.
But sometimes it is really better to pay carefully attention to some prerequisites for a good running system and machine.

Therefore you should look for a somehow better power supply, additional cooling fans, eventually using water-cooled systems to prevent overheating and you should regard the power demand of your single parts.

If you use no onboard graphics you should add an additional cooling fan card nearby your graphics card to improve effiency.

I hope my advice based on my very own experiences would be helpful...

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:06 pm

This is so helpful. I think it must be the power supply. It is not overheating, because the case never felt hot. In fact, years ago the case would get fairly warm when playing total war games, until I got some better components.

I will obtain a new power supply and get a tech to install it, or walk me through it. Hopefully that will do the trick. The graphics card is quite new, so I do not think that is the problem either. The power supply is the original, and is almost five years old.

I am grateful to all of you for your generous help, and I think you have put me on the right track.

Thanks again,

Vaalen

Hohenlohe

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 pm

vaalen wrote:This is so helpful. I think it must be the power supply. It is not overheating, because the case never felt hot. In fact, years ago the case would get fairly warm when playing total war games, until I got some better components.

I will obtain a new power supply and get a tech to install it, or walk me through it. Hopefully that will do the trick. The graphics card is quite new, so I do not think that is the problem either. The power supply is the original, and is almost five years old.

I am grateful to all of you for your generous help, and I think you have put me on the right track.

Thanks again,

Vaalen

I would advise you to let do a good tech this work thus you can do nothing wrong and you would not to become angry if you did it yourself and make some mistakes.
But please regard in case of giving this task to a tech that this one should have a good and certain reputation handling that and it is even necessary that he gives you some warrantees and guarantees for his work.Therefore it is useful to inform yourself in related forums about good techs available. You can also take a look around in your personal friends' circle for some good experienced friends which would be helpful.

Not every tech offers good quality even in Germany you can make bad experiences with some trained techs if this one works not good enough.

Just my sixpence related to my own experiences...

heartful greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

Ingtar
Private

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:54 pm

Newer video cards and older power supplies have notorious difficulties in behaving well together. Make sure you check your video card manual for its suggestions/requirements before purchasing a replacement. Having someone who knows what they are doing handle the install is a good idea...

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Really? "Even in Germany." Such National pride!! Reminds me of German tank commander before Kursk battle who claimed such hutspaugh? t

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 pm

tagwyn wrote:Really? "Even in Germany." Such National pride!! Reminds me of German tank commander before Kursk battle who claimed such hutspaugh? t

you mean CHUTZPAH :mdr:

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Woe! Can't play PON because computer broke down.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:20 am

I exchanged emails with a tech, who suggested I check all five fans in the box. It is not the power supply.

The CPU fan is broken, and is not turning at all.

I hope this can be repaired, but the prognosis seems grim.
And just when I was beginning to really understand the beauty of the PON colonization system, and how you can actually move towards a colony...

Gray_Lensman

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:24 am

deleted

Hohenlohe

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:28 pm

tagwyn wrote:Really? "Even in Germany." Such National pride!! Reminds me of German tank commander before Kursk battle who claimed such hutspaugh? t

*Ufffh* I do not want to bother anyone but if you has listened to our politicians in the past you would understand. Not only that they told us Germans for a long time that we could be proud to have such a good labourer training inclusive a 3years school and job practice training for young people which will brought our industry especially the middle class based to some good heights in the past 200 years.

But why is our school system sooo really bad nowadays especially in the socalled PISA tests with a range in the midst for our pupils...??

Thus you can be really somehow disappointed if you call a labourer for some work at your home and you will often get bad work for some very expensive costs you would understand. This comes especially true to some small IT tech companies because they can dominate the local market.

Thus I am not always proud to be German...*sigh* Not only in regarding our history due to the 30ies and 40ies last century but also how we got such problems nowadays like a bad school system and so on...*sigh*

But enough offtopic for now...*grin*

Dear tagwyn, related to your somehow ironic words I know what you mean because not only in those times many Germans in the Management Elite overestimated our chances and proven more than before that they are only cooking with "water" because they have simply no plan...*grin*

But as a customer I think that I has the right to get something worthful for my money if I go to a small corporation...

That do not means that in any other country any people are unable anyhow...

heartly greetings

Hohenlohe...*smile*
R.I.P. Henry D.

Hohenlohe

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:You should be able to take it to a tech and get the CPU fan replaced... Far cheaper then replacing the CPU ifself.

That is true but you should regard that sometimes the cpu cooling fan unit is most time fixed to the cpu unit in a way that you could do some harm to the cpu if you separate the fan from the cpu...

Therefore it is something like biting in a sour apple if you must purchase a new cpu block unit with a fan inclusive...*sigh* thats the result of my own experiences from the last three years...

Thus never try that for your own if you have not enough knowledge and experiences therefore look for a good experienced tech and if you have some money problems then look for a good friend with the appropriate knowledge who could help you...*thumbsup*

greetings

Hohenlohe, who is proud to be a European...*grin*

edit: dear vaalen from my own past PC problems I knew that a somehow broken cpu fan resulted from damage given by dust and dirt therefore try to protect your cpu fan with a kind of a simple dust protection like some cotton net...I remember that I have seen something like that at different small IT tech webshops in the last months or try to make something like that for your own if possible...
R.I.P. Henry D.

Pocus

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:24 am

About CPU, fan and laptop... Any clue to help me fix a laptop without spare parts on the market which has a fan out of service? I really like it and it is a shame to shelve it just for this.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

SonOfAGhost
Sergeant

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:28 am

Pocus wrote:About CPU, fan and laptop... Any clue to help me fix a laptop without spare parts on the market which has a fan out of service? I really like it and it is a shame to shelve it just for this.

There's a lot of places sell parts, if you can't find one it must be either really old or really obscure. Either way, prospects not good. Though with laptops, anything beyond 18 months after purchase should be counted as a bonus.

That said, if you're hardware oriented enough it's often easier to source a generic replacement of the actual fan than of the cooling assembly (ie take what most people would refer to as the fan apart). Once in a while a drop of oil can revive a fan but, usually by the time a user notices, it's already fried.

Definitely not worth paying a service tech for though. Laptops are always a PITA to work on, so your bill for a job like that would probably be enough to buy a better desktop model.

If you're certain you're going to stick with laptops whenever you replace the current one then investing in a cooling pad for it to sit one may buy you a little time currently and prolong the life of the next one.

Hohenlohe

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Pocus wrote:About CPU, fan and laptop... Any clue to help me fix a laptop without spare parts on the market which has a fan out of service? I really like it and it is a shame to shelve it just for this.

There are simply spoken two possibilities, either buying a new laptop perhaps at Amazon if they has some special actions or to look at ebay for parts...

Beyond that I hold my thumbs up for...

greeting

Hohenlohe

edit: the repair costs belonging to laptops are too high...
R.I.P. Henry D.

Pocus

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:50 am

It has done good service, and aside from this noisy fan, it works well. It is just a pity to throw it away... Theoretically, can someone with tech expertise repair it by fixing a new generic fan to it? I know there are no more spare parts from it, this is a Zepto, a Danish company that died 2 years ago, and the laptop is 3 1/2 years old anyway.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Pride of Nations”