GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Burnsides, Sideburns, Handllebars & Muttonchops

Mon May 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Here's something all Union and CSA fanboys can get together and discuss over a jug of Oh Be Joyful.

The Smithsonian site has a poll on who had the best facial hair:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Who-Had-the-Best-Civil-War-Facial-Hair.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

but feel free to write in candidates here. It's not multiple choice - discuss!

* Ambrose baby has to be up there. Got in the dictionary and set trends, big time.

* Given the Smithsonian choices, I'm partial to Carter Stevenson; yes, no beard or 'stash, but some impressive muttonchops. Jeb Stuart gets major props, too.

Who do you like?
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Mon May 09, 2011 7:00 pm

I always liked Alpheus Williams crazy mustache/handlebar thing. I don't think I could grow that if I had a thousand years.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey, and what about Kilpatrick's sideburns? He had a sideburns to make two braids! :D
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Mon May 09, 2011 11:38 pm

Alpheus Williams' is most impressive for its outlandishness, but I'd have to go with Ambrose Burnside's famous facial hair. He just carries it off with so much pizzazz, and I frickin' love that hat:
He strikes me as the kind of guy you'd want to hang out with and have a beer. He wasn't a stellar commander, but he was aware of his unsuitability for army command, and I admire that.

My wife is rolling her eyes at me as we speak. She's grudgingly come to accept my pirate/viking/wizard beard, but has threatened to leave me if I grow muttonchops or a giant handlebar :neener:
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 10, 2011 1:11 am

Have on hand your beard trimmer machine, just in case! :mdr: :mdr:

Regards! ;) :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Tue May 10, 2011 2:36 am

Hah, yes, I will keep the beard trimmer handy. It was a Christmas gift from her parents - I think they were trying to tell me something? I was sporting "the McClellan" for a while, but now I more closely resemble my avatar ;)
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

LittleMac
Conscript

Burnside!

Tue May 10, 2011 3:19 am

Burnside will win, as the general public just can't get enough of him.

Can't say I disagree.

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Tue May 10, 2011 4:35 am

I want them all to win!

Heck, the most outlandish of all probably woulda been clean-shaven.
"firstest with the mostest"

"I fights mit Sigel"

caranorn

Tue May 10, 2011 8:31 am

I voted Dunlap, because it most resembles my own moustache (in better days, before it met with fire ;-) )...
Marc aka Caran...

gekkoguy82
Major

Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:I always liked Alpheus Williams crazy mustache/handlebar thing. I don't think I could grow that if I had a thousand years.

+1

I could have voted for a number of those guys, but I enjoy his the most :thumbsup:

Sieben
Private

Tue May 10, 2011 2:58 pm

I voted for Stuart, but it's inevitable that Burnside will win the poll. Longstreet had a pretty good thicket, too. Personally, I've always liked Grant's neatly trimmed beard (not the spade-shaped one he wore at Belmont) and relatively short hair; very distinguished.

In the Mexican-American War it was rare to see a military or political figure with a beard or even a moustache; clean-shaven was almost the rule. Yet, 15 years later, it was just the opposite.
A soldier has a hard life, and but little consideration.
Robert E. Lee, 1855, in a letter to his wife.

Alexander the Average
Conscript

Thu May 12, 2011 7:49 am

I went with Romeyn B. Ayres. The photo from the side doesn't do his man hair glory but i do like the snarl. As someone who has struggled to grow a beard for many years i know how hard it is and I think he managed to pull off the rugged but still sophisticated look very well indeed.

Jorje Vidrio
Corporal

Fri May 13, 2011 1:57 am

I liked W.B.Hazen's combination mustache and goatee.

Its what I would wear had I lived back then. :p apy:

anarchyintheuk
Lieutenant

Fri May 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Hood had a little zztop in him but having facial hair named after you pretty much seals the deal as to who wins imo.

epaminondas
Colonel

Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 am

You guys are all kidding, right. Check out Daniel Ruggles - now there's a face full of fighting fur.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”