OneArmedMexican
General

Ukrainian AI

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Don't missunderstand me here: I am a very fond of the AI in RUS, however as you might imagine, there is a "but".

The Ukrainian could use some sort of AI. If I am not mistaken he has currently none.
As it is, you can take Ukrainian cities without any reaction. Kick his troops out of Kiev or any other city, the survivors retreat and sit in the next region for the rest of the game. :(
I know that it might be a bigger change to implement another AI into the game. But I think, attacking the Ukrainian as Southern White or Red should trigger some sort of reaction. An alternative would be to create some new events: e.g. perhaps if the Red attacks the Ukrainian first the Whites gets an option to ally himself with the Ukrainian and vice-versa. Not exactly historically accurate but still better than the Ukrainian as impassive punching bag.
It might be something to consider for patch 1.02? ;)

Clovis

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:47 am

There's an Ukrainian AI, very basic, but at last it keeps Ukrainians in Ukrain :) .

And the UKR faction is too weak to counter-attack alone. So Athenanenka doesn't counterstrikes... :thumbsup: :(

Your ideas are interesting. Certainly some evnts allowing for Whites to buy UKR on the model existing for Balts or Finns would be a nice improvment. I'm more mitigated for Reds alliance, as it would be difficult to translate in game terms the silent ceasefires for opportunity reasons both sides agreed sometimes into "alliance" AGE mechanism. But why not? :)
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:44 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:Don't missunderstand me here: I am a very fond of the AI in RUS, however as you might imagine, there is a "but".

The Ukrainian could use some sort of AI. If I am not mistaken he has currently none.
As it is, you can take Ukrainian cities without any reaction. Kick his troops out of Kiev or any other city, the survivors retreat and sit in the next region for the rest of the game. :(
I know that it might be a bigger change to implement another AI into the game. But I think, attacking the Ukrainian as Southern White or Red should trigger some sort of reaction. An alternative would be to create some new events: e.g. perhaps if the Red attacks the Ukrainian first the Whites gets an option to ally himself with the Ukrainian and vice-versa. Not exactly historically accurate but still better than the Ukrainian as impassive punching bag.
It might be something to consider for patch 1.02? ;)

Added As Southern White options the possibility of allaince with Ukrain, after having recognizing independance. Cost is huge as you lose 1NM by turn. But Whites can break alliance too ;)
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

OneArmedMexican
General

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Thank you. I am looking forward to it.
AI programming is above my capabilities, so discard this comment if it is stupid: but have you thought about attributing high interest values to the Ukrainian cities and zero interest to everything outside the Ukrainian territory. Wouldn't that keep the Ukrainian AI at home while at the same time enabling it to fight back?

Clovis

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:29 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:Thank you. I am looking forward to it.
AI programming is above my capabilities, so discard this comment if it is stupid: but have you thought about attributing high interest values to the Ukrainian cities and zero interest to everything outside the Ukrainian territory. Wouldn't that keep the Ukrainian AI at home while at the same time enabling it to fight back?

That's about the current system. The fact is Ukrainian are a weak faction, so Athenanovchka remains on the defensive. But I've other means to give Athena some incentive to attack...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:35 am

Very interesting March on Kyiv beta scenario test for future Tatchanka! board wargame.
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@488.R2cqcRhGt4d.0@.1dd2e848/139
See the designer attachment, bottom in post #139.
In the east, other rebels rejected the Directory; faced with Volunteer Army invasion, they eventually allied with the Bolsheviks.

In the middle of July (1919), the Directory and their allies agreed to join forces against the Bolsheviks. The West Ukrainian government went into exile, and the West Ukrainian People's Army withdrew across the Zbruch and joined forces with the hard-pressed Ukrainian People’s Army. At first they counterattacked the 12th Army. The combined Ukrainian armies pushed through gaps in the Bolshevik front, seizing Zhmerinka and Vapniarka, and driving back the 12th Army.

By the middle of August, the combined Ukrainian armies held Vinnytsia. At the same time, the 2nd Corps of the Volunteer Army was also advancing toward Kyiv. Soon, 3 divisions of the 12th and 14th Red Armies were cut off between Vapniarka, Odesa, and Kherson. Some of their troops were going over to the Makhnovists, and the group commanders decided to withdraw toward Kyiv. They destroyed their remaining armored trains and marched through the narrowing gap between the Ukrainian People's Army and the Volunteer Army.

Athens
Brigadier General

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:13 am

Clovis wrote:That's about the current system. The fact is Ukrainian are a weak faction, so Athenanovchka remains on the defensive. But I've other means to give Athena some incentive to attack...

Asthis thread has been ressurrected, Ukrainian AI is now rather aggressive in FY. I've yet onr oe 2 minor adjustments to apply to both UKR and ANA AI to give them the needed aggro level after March 1919. For the next FY version, after the release of the official patch :)
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

Return to “Help to improve RUS”