GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Entering the Baltic (demo)

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Historically correct or not, I wanted to relocate my invasion force from Murmansk via the Baltic to a landing site near St.Petersburg. This appears to be about the only way substantial forces can reach and possibly take St.Petersburg in the 10 turns of the demo scenario.

My invasion fleet got as far as London but from there it can not enter the Baltic, although there is an arrow marker "To Baltic" on the map!

While the North Sea could not be reached either, at least it bore a label "this region cannot be entered in this scenario". There was no such thing for the Baltic however.

Just wanted to ask if this is intentional.

Seb

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:49 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:Historically correct or not, I wanted to relocate my invasion force from Murmansk via the Baltic to a landing site near St.Petersburg. This appears to be about the only way substantial forces can reach and possibly take St.Petersburg in the 10 turns of the demo scenario.

My invasion fleet got as far as London but from there it can not enter the Baltic, although there is an arrow marker "To Baltic" on the map!

While the North Sea could not be reached either, at least it bore a label "this region cannot be entered in this scenario". There was no such thing for the Baltic however.

Just wanted to ask if this is intentional.

It is :)
We did not want to see Miller troops going to Petrograd, or even to Sevastopol, by sea. It would be too easy, why didn't he think about it by himself ;)

In the full version, there are also some interesting military and diplomatic options for actions in the Baltic and Petrograd regions. We did not want to alter them by sea movements that could become massive if we would allow them.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Flop
Major

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:49 pm

While I don't see why you shouldn't be able to enter the North Sea in this scenario, you do have to pass through the North Sea to get to the Baltic Sea, so that's probably why it isn't working.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Correct!

But there is an arrow "To Baltic" going out from Britain, and it should go.

Clovis

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 pm

By implementing this that could even been an ad: "Play the full version if you want to enter the Baltic" :D
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Cat Lord

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi,

the main problem was not this way round, but rather than when the OMB path was activated, the Red fleet was always going to Murmansk to battle the British, or worse, was trying to intercept the British merchant ship in the Atlantic OMB via the other arrows.

Of course, the British navy would never have allowed that, but we didn't want to put a lot more ships locked all over the place until we could find a way to solve this problem, especially for the AI.

So technically it's a bug: There is an arrow, so it should be usable.

But we have to find a way to eventually let the British navy in, after 1918/11/11 (the Germans would never have let the British pass through the Skagerrak and Kattegat before), without letting the Reds navy out. And that's trickier. :)

Cat
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Cat Lord wrote:(the Germans would never have let the British pass through the Skagerrak and Kattegat before)

Of course, I should have thought of that! :bonk:

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”