Hohenlohe

New idea for units

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Dear Philippes, I know that you are very busy with the actual programming and developing of RUS and PON, but could it be possible to implement some additional ships for the Prussian like Merchantmen(engagement points and warsupplies and such) and small warships like "Galiots". The later was often used by the Prussian and some other States at the Baltic Sea like Russia and Sveden. "Galliots" were no Sailing ships, they were steered(hope its the right word).

"Galiots" had two small guns added for use in small engagements.
I want to suggest the implementation of these ships into ROP on Prussian and Swedish and perhaps Russian sides.
Hope it is not to much for you.

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

PhilThib

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:34 am

Prussia also had some small sloops...but the truth there was no naval battle but one little fight at the mouth of the Oder in the Baltic during the war....and small crafts would be crushed by the powerful Russian / Swedish ships of te line...don't think it brings anything of interest here imho...just my 2 cents though...

We can add those units in a future patch extension of course...just need to precise what is the models characteristics, and also have graphics made, which is not so easy :cool:

Hohenlohe

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:15 pm

I have looked the last days for some historical correct models and sketches and found: (quel surprise) two different descriptions.
First, the Galiots in northern Europe were merely small sailing ships with a flat bottom and maximum 150 sailors and some guns on it. The Prussians possessed a small fleet of them used earlier in the SYW from Stettin. This force was called the "Stettin Fleet" which was destroyed around 1759 by Swedish warships and was later rebuilt.

Second, in the Mare Nostrum and sometimes in the Baltic "Galiots" were small galleys with two or more guns and up to around 150 men.

Both versions of Galiots were used in the Baltic Sea at the timeframe of the SYW. So we can differ them in the sailing ship class "Galiots" and the galley class "Galiota" for ingame purpose. For the galleys we can use the usual pictures of galleys. For the Sailing ships I will catch the releveant pictures the next time. For today its to late for me I need some sleep.

If possible the Prussian squadron "Stettin Fleet" should consist around two Corvettes, 10 Galiots and eventually 8 Galiota. All this later models should have a good manoeuverability, some strength and a high morale, but only a decent quality because they were built at the start of the SYW without decent naval experience.
The Prussian should have the possibility to buy the Galiots and Galiota as small squadrons each with five elements for some low warsupply and money cost twice per year. The two element Corvette squadron once a year. Perhaps we could give the Prussians the possibility to buy one or two frigates per year from Great Britain.

These purchase options should only available if Prussia still owns Stettin and/or Konigsberg. Otherwise Prussia should get the option to get two merchantmen ships per year available as long as they hold Stettin or Konigsberg to get more engagement points.

Only my six pence sofar. I know that this seems a little more ahistorical but Prussia had a small maritime commercial company for Asia at the start of the SYW which was soon occupied by the Coalition forces.

If this is too much work for you then it is okay. I don't want to occupy your rare time doing other things than programming RUS and PON.

I will look for the Galiot sketches as soon as possible.

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

PhilThib

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 am

I'll see if it can make to the next patch then :cool:

Hohenlohe

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:46 am

Dear PhilThib, sadly I found only a few pictures about the Galiot ship type.

First the sailing ships, which were first built in the Netherlands and later even used at the Pommeranian coast...

then the socalled Galeota or Galiota type

In Italy this type was often called Fusta and a similar type was used in the Baltic, but you could even use a pure galley type as it was often used by the Russians and the Swedes until around 1810 for war purposes. The last greater galley battle between Sweden and Russia was around 1796...

I hope I was able to help...

greetings

Hohenlohe aka Michael
R.I.P. Henry D.

PhilThib

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:48 am

I believe we have some models equivalent that were made for Napoleon's game :cool:

Hohenlohe

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Dear Philippes, you should know, that with your acceptance of my many suggestions sofar with the last games like AACW,WIA and ROP I am your greatest fan forever, since PAX ROMANA I love all the games you have published, because you made them with heartblood... :thumbsup: :coeurs:

heartful greetings

Hohenlohe aka Michael Frank
R.I.P. Henry D.

PhilThib

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:39 pm

You are most welcome :coeurs: :cool:

Return to “Help to improve RoP”