Tamas

Fri May 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Mowers wrote:That doesnt work for me.

You didnt build in a screen capture system?

I have 3 areas of german units together about 3 areas away from their front line and they have no issues with supply for months on end. They are encircled.

Are they in: a big city?

And F11 does a screenshot to the game folder

calvinus

Fri May 21, 2010 3:21 pm

Mowers wrote:yep, with 2 gigs of ram.

Its just that its running extremely slowly on all my computers and one has 4 gigs of ram.

I turn off everything when i run it.

Too much time. I suggest you to investigate. There's something that slow downs the game. UAC?

Mowers wrote:finally, is there a way to make the unit movement segment, when you watch all the units move at the end of the military phase speed up? It can take 5 mins +.

Increase the movement speed in Options window: move the slider on the left.

Mowers wrote:I was not able to find the Grand offensive button. Does it only appear when you reach a certain military level?

The button is always visible. During movement warfare it's grayed out. You can plan offensives only when Trench warfare is on (Fire-Power doctrine).

calvinus

Warning: long AI thinking time

Fri May 21, 2010 7:57 pm

Important: if you experience looong AI thinking time during Military phase, it's commonly due to the complex calculations done in 1.08C for urgent escape procedures of isolated stacks.

1.08D will be the official patch. In 1.08D (currently under work) I improved the considerably performance of such calculations, of course! :)

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue May 25, 2010 1:08 am

I have all the issues noted above, the repeated CTD's, long AI wait times and freezes so downloaded the 1.08C beta patch to see if there was a performance improvement. No joy I'm afraid, the game still crashes when the siege screen for Koenigsburg comes up, when AI battle screens are showing and it hung repeatedly during the AI's turns.

Have so far never made it past the Jan-Feb 1915 turn in any campaign.

Tried all the suggested PC tweaks, have installed the newest video drivers and my machine exceeds the minimums in most specs by at least 50%. Makes no apperant difference at all whether the virus scanner (NOD-32) is running in the background or not. Also no improvement after uninstalling and re-installing from scratch.

OS is Win XP 5.1 SP3; computer has 3.4 GHz P5 CPU with 3GB RAM, NVidia 8600GT video card with 1440 x 900 resolution.

Although WW1G is a really outstanding game, it is entirely no good if it won't run. In the meantime, standing by for the official finished patch.

calvinus

Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 am

Are you logged in with PC Administrator priviledges?
Have you installed the game logged in as PC Administrator?
What happens if you disable sounds and musics in WW1 Config tool? If you have no crashes with sounds disabled, what is your audio card?

calvinus

Tue May 25, 2010 8:20 am

Also, please havea look here:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=178278&postcount=4

NOD-32: there's some way to configure the antivirus making WW1.exe as a trusted application? Are you sure the antivirus is really deactivated when you turn it off?

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi Calvinus, I have been stopped in the campaign by the Grand offensive failure bug, other than that the game runs ok for me, could you give me some idea when the 1.08d patch might be released, thanks :)

calvinus

Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Hello Longhairedlout, I'm sorry but I'm puzzled too. I'm yet waiting the German and Spanish translations. I know they are currently under work, but I do not know yet when they will be available... sorry. :(

Edit: keep your savegame for when the patch is out. ;)

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Longhairedlout wrote:Hi Calvinus, I have been stopped in the campaign by the Grand offensive failure bug, other than that the game runs ok for me, could you give me some idea when the 1.08d patch might be released, thanks :)

Yep...my situation also. Great game and havin' a lot of fun but I want my Grand Offensives to be successful :winner:

calvinus

Tue May 25, 2010 6:35 pm

I expect the translations for tonight. In any case I will send tomorrow the official 1.08D or another beta update. :love:

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue May 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions but:
calvinus wrote:Are you logged in with PC Administrator priviledges?
Yes
Have you installed the game logged in as PC Administrator?
Yes
What happens if you disable sounds and musics in WW1 Config tool? If you have no crashes with sounds disabled, what is your audio card?
No change with same problems, sound card is unlikely the issue

However, it occurred that I never set up WW1G as a trusted application in Ad-Aware, spy/malware detection software. Having done so I was able to run a new game to the Jan-Feb 1915 turn where once again it CTD at a battle screen, the Battle of Ryal or something like that, on the Eastern Front in a computer vs. computer battle.

I noticed a drop off in game speed as the battles resolved before the crash but don't know if this was coincidental or causal. Wonder if there is a memory leak in WW1G somwhere?

calvinus

Tue May 25, 2010 7:10 pm

No memory leaks, sorry. Do you have a savegame that crashes regularly?

calvinus

Tue May 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Just in case the cause is the sound engine, I added other security checks (now they are hundreds!) inside the audio wrapper... :cuit:

Let's see if next patch improves the stability on thoughest PCs. :feu:

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue May 25, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi
Attached are files from the end of the Jan-Feb 1915 turn, saved just prior to hitting the end turn button. Game crashed on battle screen after completing the Austro-Serb Battle of Zemon. No screenshot. it totally locked up my machine requiring a hot re-boot.

I'm sure it will work fine for you, I am at a total loss.

Cheers
Attachments
WW1G_CTD.zip
(446.59 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

calvinus

Tue May 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Instead, after 10 consecutive tries (10! :cuit :) I finally reproduced one crash, so I added some security checks in battle screen rendering procedure to avoid such crash. :love:

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 am

Calvinus wrote:
Instead, after 10 consecutive tries (10! ) I finally reproduced one crash, so I added some security checks in battle screen rendering procedure to avoid such crash.

I really appreciate you taking the effort to assist me, many thanks.

Tried checking the Load all sounds at start box in the config file and, using the save I sent you, have now made it into May 1915 which represents the farthest have managed to get so far. Again am not sure if this is coincidental or causal or if it provides an actual fix. If causal it might point to a sound issue but since I noticed no significant performance difference (other than the lack of noise) with sound on or off, I'm not sure.

I'm leaning towards exiting and restarting after every second turn, saving at the end of the military phase and only attempting no more than one or two resolution phases per session.

calvinus

Wed May 26, 2010 5:41 am

I reproduced a crash with your save thanks to the huge number of battles per turn, plus advancing very very quickly from one battle to the next one, so finally getting a memory access violation upon battle screen rendering. I believe/hope it's the crash you experience so frequently. Now I added a security check to avoid such memory access violation. I'm wondering why this happens so frequently on some CPUs, while it happens almost never on other ones.. :confused:

calvinus

Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 am

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed May 26, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks for all your hard work calvinus, is this compatible with save games from the 1.08c beta patch?, I looking forward to getting some grand offensives going as the German's in 1915 in my save game.... :)

calvinus

Wed May 26, 2010 11:29 am

Yes, it's compatible.

Return to “Help improve WW1!”