Pocus

Developer Diary #2 – Recruiting units

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Developer Diary #2 : Recruiting units

In Rise of Prussia, it is entirely possible to draft and recruit quite a hefty number of new units. This makes the game akin in this respect to AGEOD’s biggest success yet, American Civil War, which enable you to manage the Union or the Confederate nation during 4 years. But here, there is a twist: you don’t recruit units in the same way as in our previous title: the system is in fact very different.

In American Civil War, you would order units at the American State level (the Governor’s being very independent in nature from the central government), and units arrived in the cities and villages of the said State, without you knowing where exactly beforehand.

Here in Rise of Prussia, things are much more organized. You first activate the Construction Mode, which allow you to see what are the units available to your nations (remember, each side is a coalition, for example Austria fought alongside with France, Russia, Saxony – which changed side --, Sweden, etc.). Then, with the help of filters, you choose the exact type of unit you want: Austrian Line Infantry, Russian Grenadiers, French Cuirassiers? Finally, you drop the unit in a valid region. Valid regions are shown in green on the map, and the eligibility take into account quite a number of factors. First, to whom belongs the region. You simply can’t recruit Russians in Austrian land (or Cossacks in Moscow).

Then, the population of the region enforces a limit, as a given region can’t draft an unlimited number of troops per year. Spice that with special conditions (some units can only be recruited in some parts of a country, some units like guns can only be built in big cities, partisans need woods/mountainous regions, etc.) and you get something pretty realistic.
Overall, the system is simple while being vastly different from what we did in ACW.

But some core features remain, which are in the center of our design philosophy, let me share them with you, if you discover AGEOD with Rise of Prussia:

-Each unit type has a ‘force pool’, i.e. a maximum number of units which can be drafted of this type. You simply can’t flood the map with Russian Grenadiers. You’ll have to buy units (with some freedom though) in realistic ratio: Line regiments will always be more numerous than Grenadiers ones e.g.

-Units when drafted appear immediately on map, but totally unfit for battle, to the point that if the enemy manage to attack a recruiting center, the poor conscripts would be slaughtered. This is a feature which is dear to our hearts: Units just don’t appears magically when ready, they appears as cadres then get filled with conscripts troops over the course of time.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

arsan

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Very nice! :thumbsup:
But... Mmmm... :sherlock: What's the deal with those "Depot battalions" ??? That "R" on its nato icons looks intriguing... ;) :D

Ironclad61
Major

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 pm

Ummm R means reinforcements??? something like buy replacements for damage units??? for example buy a grenadier depot unit give grenadiers for units of this type??? and of course can use then in an emergency... or you need buy then to use then as replacements points???

The game has a nice look :thumbsup:

Pocus

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:14 pm

You got it rigt yes, the depot unit once finished converts into replacements.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hasardeur
Sergeant

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 pm

This system of recruitmeint is a big, big improvement to the AACW System - I am looking forward to finally play this game !

Greets

Ironclad61
Major

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:57 am

Thanks for the answer, well, i like to see depot units working as replacements points but is the only way to reinforce damage units or the game have the old system os replacements??? well, the old system give full parts of units (call it company in WIA) and depot i understand that provide soldiers some similar like depots in the game but now with soldiers.

If i understand it well now in recruiment is very important region poblation, well, every province has asignate a recruiment value??? and is this value variable (can have 0 value) now conquest a province rest recruiment value??? of course not all provinces have the same value but made more interesting take secondary provinces (the clasis forest province with nothing more).

The game has a great look :thumbsup:

Pocus

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 pm

It is the same system but with more possibilities... i.e depot units when finished give you what you call 'full parts of units', plus you can get these parts by options. These replacements are then displayed in the ledger, as your pool of replacements 'parts'. Units on the field will suck them up to complete ranks.

Beren
Captain

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Superb idea...
"... tell the Emperor that I am facing Russians.
If they had been Prussians, I'd have taken the
position long ago."
- Marshal Ney, 1813

Ironclad61
Major

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Great, a way to control replacements for an emergency :thumbsup:

Well, waiting more details :coeurs:

Syt
Colonel

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:43 am

Looking great, but it should be "Korneuburg", not "Korneburg" next to Vienna. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.
- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

Return to “Rise of Prussia”