Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue May 05, 2009 4:26 am

[color="Red"]Turn 46, Early February, 1863:[/color]

Jackson slips the noose at Amherst!! (Good news and bad news here. The good news is that Jackson was able to slip away from Franklin's follow-up assault at Amherst, but the bad news was that Gregg's brigade was unable to blow the Amherst depot. At the same time, Gregg's brigade absorbed a LOT of replacements before being dispatched by Franklin. Replacements that would have been nice to have had elsewhere.)

Crittenden assaults Garysburg, garrison retreats without a fight!! (This move I was NOT expecting at all. My hat's off to Soundoff for making it to Garysburg with Crittenden's Corps...I would assume by either force march...or by water. However he did it, it certainly puts Lee in a supply pinch.)

Meade withdraws!! (Just as I suspected. Soundoff's army is in fact struggling from supply issues and appears to be heading back toward Paducah. I hope to exert a little pressure this turn.)

Forrest's command vanishes into the mountains!! (One of the tragic tales of the Confederate war effort. Forrest's weary troopers, dogged by months of riding and fighting with little food and little rest...give out in the mountains of West Virginia. The ONLY survivor, one General Colston.)

On to orders...there hasn't been much happening so I'll just go east and west in general...starting in the East:

You can see how things stand now. There are a couple of encouraging things as we muse at the map together. First of all, it appears Franklin not only attacked Jackson and missed, but advanced into the snowy open terrain just south of Jackson....and so will undergo even more attrition this turn...A true joy for me as this makes his and Hamilton's Corps essentially useless to Grant for at least the next month (i.e. he'll have to get back to a depot to rest and take on replacements...possibly all the way back to Mannassas...Amherst has no supplies left.). This means Lee will be free to operate against HALF of Grant's army. Whipple and that Corps up in Washington are also at least a month and a half away from Grant should they choose to come south....so Lee, now with 3 Corps comprising some 62,000 men is faced with Grant (and Crittenden I suppose)...around 90,000 or so men. Odds I would much rather be facing at the moment....than the ACTUAL force Soundoff has gathered in the east....some 140,000 to my 72,000 or so.

The bad news. Jackson is far out of position and his Corps far too weary to do me any good for at least the next month. (HIS nearest depot will be Knoxville and it will take him at least a month to heal.) So it appears for at least the remainder of February, I'll be without his services in the east. Garysburg has been taken, but Crittenden brought with him no supplies, and my entire army is only a 2 day train ride away, so I doubt Soundoff plans to stick around...and I doubt I'll lose the depot. SO...decisions, decisions.

In looking things over this turn, what with the capture of Garysburg, the absolutely hopeless venture of maintaining my hold on Richmond, and Grant's newly rested 3 Corps at Burkeville (Berry, Dix and McDowell)...I feel an attack may be imminent...Soundoff has both momentum and the initiative...so It seems appropriate that the army withdrawl to North Carolina and rest for the remainder of early February...and possibly strike a blow to Grant before the rest of his army can come up. So I've ordered Longstreet's Corps to rail quickly back to Garysburg and assault Crittenden (who I fully expect to have blown the rails and evacuated by the time Longstreet gets there)...E. Johnston will march to Sussex, VA...J. Johnston will meet Longstreet in Garysburg...a march that will take only 10 days (as opposed to the usual 20...thank you marines!!). Lee will also be meeting those 2 Corps in Garysburg.

J.E.B Stuart is ordered to rail south to Goldsboro and protect that important depot from anything Soundoff has planned to do with Kearny, who now sits outside Raleigh, NC. I feel confident Stuart will be able to deal with the Union cavalry readily.

Again, note the intel on Grant's 3 Corps at Burkeville...McDowell appears back at full strength...a full 40,000 men under his command....Dix is strong with around 20,000...as is Berry with closer to 18,000. Again, with my troops rather widely spread...and with J. Johnston's Corps still struggling with low cohesion...I think he may order an attack. I've set all of my troops on "retreat if engaged" so as to prevent a major battle.

To Jackson...who is truly in a sad state. Fortune has smiled upon his however...the mountains in which his troops currently reside are blessed with sunshine and blue skies...fair weather....with hell all about them :) . His Corps will march to Liberty, VA...where it will then board trains meant to carry him to Knoxville, TN to rest and take on replacements. From there....I may be able to strike into Kentucky...but it's more likely that I'll need his troops back east to repel Grant's every swelling host.

In the West:

The attack on Corinth never materialized...as Soundoff appears to have seen fit to address his supply troubles. Meade, with 2 Corps, his own former command now under Rosecrans and that of Hooker, now have taken up positions around Humbolt, TN. The rails there are still cut, but weather in western Tennessee is fair...so Meade will probably get supply. Our two armies are quite evenly matched at the moment and I plan to put a little pressure on his base at Paducah this turn.

I'll get to that in a minute....it appears I was wrong about Soundoff's leaving Paducah undefended...there are now quite a few troops stationed there. It seems like he's mustering another division....possibly for Hooker's Corps...but there is one thing that's been bothering me of late....what on earth happened to Thomas?? I still have the strength to strike at Paducah, but knowing how important Fts. Henry and Donelson are....as well as Bowling Green, being that both are the gateway to Nashville and Chattanooga....with the absence of Thomas...I cannot attack and leave my rear so lightly defended. I don't know if Soundoff is baiting me....but if he is...I'm not biting just yet.

However I do plan to move the Army of Tennessee, now roughly 35,000 strong. Bragg and Polk with concentrate in the area of Decature, TN. It's a position that, if Meade stays where he is...which I see as entirely possible...(why retreat any further when the supply situation is to be remedied this turn?)...will flank his base at Paducah and put me within about a 10 days march of Columbus, KY should the weather remain fair next turn. It is also a perfect defensive position...being that it sits in a Forrested region...(a deterrant for Meade to attack...even despite his advantage in long artillery.)

Stand Watie's braves will be left to guard Memphis...and a small detachment under General Doles will be left to guard Corinth. Hopefully with this move I'm able to force Soundoff to retreat and cover his line of supply. I have a line of supply regardless...by way of the Tennessee river...what will really make my day...is if Soundoff advances with Meade...opening his rear to assault next turn. We will see.

Soundoff also had his river fleet run by Bragg's guns at Memphis....which scored 50 hits against the Union river ships...I've no idea where they are headed...but I might see them again soon somewhere in my rear. I've detached an ironclad and some gunboats from Buchannan's river fleet to check on things. the rest of Buchannan's command will return to the friendly confines of Memphis to rest and refit.

Some action in Government:

More volunteers are called to man the forts along the coast. If I can strengthen them in such a way as to require MORE than a division to successfully storm them...it should put a bit of a damper on Soundoff's coastal operations in the east. Cavalry is also called up in Georgia. Stuart needs reinforcements. Also....6lb artillery...for use in the construction of forts....I'll need them at key points if I hope to bleed Grant in his advance through North Carolina...they'll also be of use in my coastal cities.

Lastly, I've called for an exchange of prisoners...Soundoff declined my last offer. Perhaps this time he'll have a change of heart. I need the extra conscripts for sure.

SO

Will Grant attack at Petersburg?? Can Sydney Johnston outposition Meade?? Stay tuned....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

dublish
Corporal

Tue May 05, 2009 7:36 am

I think this may be the first time in your whole AAR that you've put a 't' in Joe and A.S. Johnston's names. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Tue May 05, 2009 7:38 am

Go CSA Banks :thumbsup: Kick him out
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 06, 2009 8:06 pm

@dublish - Indeed :) . I have been doing some reading lately and noticed I'd been spelling their names wrong. Certainly not my first "flub".

@Comtedemeighen - Thank you sir! I will do my worst! :thumbsup:

On to the turn!

[color="Red"]Turn 47, Early March, 1863:[/color]

I do apologize again for the delay, alas I just HAD to celebrate "cinco de mayo" last night. Otherwise I would have posted this update much sooner. I will once again dispense with the headlines...as I'm sure with Soundoff's update having been posted for quite some time, you all are up to speed. I will get straight to orders for this turn.

First in the WEST, things are really set to heat up out here I think:

Well, it appears my advance went off without a hitch. Soundoff, as I expected, didn't withdraw any further north to protect his line of supply. I'm now in a perfect position to flank his entire position and I intend to take full advantage of it. There is one glaring...and rather discouraging development however. Soundoff's "Army of the Southwest" is MUCH larger than my former intel would have had me believe. Thomas has popped up, seemingly out of nowhere...I would assume he railed south from Indiana or Illinois (though I wouldn't know why he'd be there.) Hooker's Corps has now swelled to include 3 divisions instead of the former 1. According to my estimation....Meade's army will now consist of Corps under Thomas, Keyes and Hooker (where'd Rosey go?) totalling close to 70,000 troops. Like I said, quite discouraging as my Army of Tennessee is barely able to field half that.

With this in mind...my gaze turns to Henry, TN. It sits directly astride the rail line leading west from Nashville and so will be supplied. Holding it will put my army in position to advance on Columbus and/or Paducah next turn.

Now, with all that said. I know Soundoff's quality...and I'm sure he knows the current importance of Henry, TN as well. In hopes that Soundoff would advance on Memphis and its light garrison of indians...I had planned to strike at his rear. But with his increased strength...things have certainly changed. Soundoff has everything he needs to block me if he wants to....that AND possibly strike south...without stripping too much strength from either his advance element...or his defending element. I think he will send the bulk of his army either to Henry...or possibly retreat to Columbus while Hooker advances on Memphis. I've come to grips with the fact that Memphis will probably fall...I cannot help that now...but holding the line in the center becomes paramount as it will force Soundoff to deal with A.S. Johnston's army in order to protect his rear.

Knowing that Meade's army vastly outnumbers my own, even with only the Corps of Keyes and Thomas counted, I will send the Army of Tennesse reinforcements in the form of two divisions...one from Beauregard's army, under General Cleburne, and another from G.W. Smith's Corps (which has been switched back to A.S. Johnston's command) a division under A.P. Stewart.

Timing of the concentration is crucial. Stewart will arrive by rail and thereby take only 1 day to reach Henry, TN. Cleburne will take 9 days to arrive, the same amount of time it would take Meade's army to arrive by foot should Soundoff move in that direction. The rest of the army will forced march from Decature...arriving on Day 9. All told...if everyone arrives unscathed...I'll have around 43,000 troops and 200 guns on station in Henry...in perfect position to strike a blow to Meade's rear. All troops are placed on defensive posture (as you can see my MC of the region is more than sufficient).

If there is to be a battle...I do hope my troops can hold in the forrested terrain against what is sure to be a superior Union force. And on top of that...I hope my forces will fight in a coordinated manner.

I have decided to send Jackson to this theater...his Corps will take refuge in Pulaski, TN...absorbing some reinforcements from Mobile...and Doles' command at Corinth...and hopefully taking on some much needed replacements.

In the East:

Not too much to report here. I think there will be little action except with J.E.B Stuart....who I hope will be able to destroy Kearney's cavalry division, which so agressively attempted to assault Goldsboro last turn. Kearny's cohesion has his power rating down to a meager 28....Stuart, with his combined arms command...stands at a significant advantage...over 300 power. Kearney hasn't anywhere to retreat but in one direction...toward Raleigh....so I've ordere Stuart to mirror what I believe Kearny's retreat path will be....assaulting him the entire way.

Lee's army...facing an overwhelming host...and in a rather exposed position (Garysburg's depot was blown...I'll never know how.) will retreat. I will set up a new defensive position around Goldsboro. It puts his army in a good position to support Wilmington's defense by rail should Crittenden get aggressive...and there is some more defensable terrain in the area (woods and forrest) to repel Grant's "Rodman heavy" army.

At some point, I plan to get Jackson back to this theater to help repel Grant....but things in the west call for his attention at the moment.

In the Far West:

I'll let the screenie do most of the talking here. Just an overview of what our forces look like for the coming campaign season.

Quantrill faces quite a challenge in facing Sheridan's much larger and better equipped army. Wharton...who now has his army assembled, merely awaits fair weather to begin his advance on San Francisco.

SO

Will there be a pitched fight at Henry, TN?? Can J.E.B Stuart destroy Kearney?? Will Lee make it to North Carolina unscathed?? Stay tuned....

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 11, 2009 4:11 am

Many apologies again for the delay. RL has really ramped up my time requirement of late. We're back to it though.

[color="Red"]Turn 48, Late March, 1863:[/color]

[color="Black"][SIZE="4"]Cleburne can't hold, Johnston suffers narrow defeat!![/size][/color]

(Oh how frustrating this turned out to go. So here's the dig...I looked at the message log trying to figure out how things timed out the way they did then I discovered the biggy...the ONE thing that slowed up my entire plan and kept it all from coming together nicely. Johnston and the HQ failed their forced march...thereby slowing his entire army's advance via the "coordinated move" feature. Incredible considering everyone else succeeded and would have arrived right on time to intercept Meade's army and repulse it. It appears as if Thomas was Meade's saving grace in this fight.

It looks like, after being bloodied slightly by Cleburne and A.P. Stewart, Rosecrans Corps then attacked the bulk of my army....with Thomas in support. It appears to me that Rosecrans retreated inside the same region while Thomas effectively kicked Bragg and Polk out via MTG....while A.S. Johnston retreated within the region as well. I'll go over dispositions later, but it was a very near rung thing...and had A.S. Johnston managed to march his army faster, I may have handily defeated Meade and been in a perfect position to cut off his supply line to Paducah. It's time to regroup!

Two good things, both Cheatham and Bragg were congratulated....the latter will now be promoted to 3-stars....methinks a narrative will be in order to describe Bragg taking command of the enlarged Army of Tennessee next turn.

[SIZE="3"]The Memphis massacre!![/size]

(As I expected, Hooker assaulted Memphis and took it....although NOT as I expected, Waite retreated within the city's confines and was destroyed in the process. I don't recall having ordered him to take refuge inside the city at any point...but perhaps I did. A terrible loss...not necessarily of the city itself...for I was ready to bear that loss...but more of those indians....who could have posed a considerable threat to Soundoff's rear during the spring and summer. Doubtless Hooker will earn his 3rd star after that fight.)

Economic Sunrise!! (How nice! I'll have to print some money soon :) .

On to orders...of which there are few...but we'll start again in the West...since that's where the very latest action has occurred.

Well as you can see...My army is spread all to hell and gone. I suppose the encouraging thing is...Soundoff's army is too. He has Hooker outside proper support distance of either Thomas or Rosecrans....Rosecrans was beat up pretty badly at the Battle of Henry....that leaves Thomas as the only Corps which could follow up Meade's success....and I don't think Thomas can catch me. So for now....my army SHOULD be able to get away safely to regroup.

I've already got Jackson, with around 16,000 troops, stationed at Pulaski, TN. Once his divisions fill up with more replacements...his Corps will probably have around 23,000 troops....I have Bragg and Polk marching south to Purdy, TN...from there they will rail to Pulaski....Johnston and the HQ will board river transports....steam to Gallatin...then board trains for Pulaski and meet the rest of the army. Lastly, Cleburne's 3,500 veterans will rail to the meeting. Without collecting replacements this turn...it will mean the Army of Tennessee will consist of some 43,000 troops and nearly 300 guns. Once replacements are gathered....I anticipate this number to climb to at least 53,000.

I plan to strike....as always...and for a long time...I've wanted to bring Kentucky back into the fold. Taking Louisville would mean potential disaster to Soundoff's entire western operation. As you can see, Soundoff has only one Corps in central Kentucky (that of Sumner) and a detached Corps protecting Louisville. With these two commands so widely spread out...I should be able to land a devastating thrust, striking by rail to Louisville in about 2 turns....this should take Soundoff far enough aback, to send his army reeling rearward to protect his supply line...and possibly result in a major engagement somewhere in the area of Paducah and/or Cairo. The goal of the entire operation will be to solidify my control of central and eastern Kentucky....and then by river....snatch Paducah...and then Cairo from Meade.

Here's to hoping in the long term....

Buchannan's ironclads will withdrawl to prevent any quick strikes down the river by Hooker and Co.

Orders in the East:

Not too much going on here. with Pickett, I'm building a fort at Goldsboro...it will take 25 days. So here's to hoping Soundoff doesn't get overly aggressive with Grant. I'm also sending Wilmington another supply wagon, so when the guns come up next turn or so...there will be a fort under construction there as well. I've also planned to construct a third fort at Raleigh if Soundoff gives me the time to. All of the above are important strategic objectives for Soundoff's aspirations in North Carolina...both for being considerably valuable in both VP's and NM....as wel as being important rail hubs.

Lee's Army now sits at a rather discouraging 2-1 disadvantage to Grant's Northeastern Virginia Army. The only encouraging thing is that Grant could only conceivably strike with 3 of his 7 Corps THIS turn. Next turn may be a different story...but I think for now, I will be able to recover in peace.

J.E.B Stuart still has some dirty work to do however...He has been charged with intercepting and destroying Kearney's raiding cavalry. Hopefully he is able to catch them and possibly earn himself another promotion. Having a 3-star J.E.B. could make things very interesting.

To my overall plan in the east for the campaign season. Protect North Carolina with a stiff and concentrated defense. I plan to keep a large majority of my army positioned around Goldsboro...it's the focal point of my defensive line....and a four-way rail crossing that will allow me to strike hard and fast at any Corps Soundoff decides to leave exposed. I would consider my defensive plan to be analagous to a rattlesnake. I'll sit coiled at Goldsboro...ready to strike any piece of Grants army that decides to stray too close. (Hopefully demostrating what I meant earlier by "overwhelming at the point of attack" in regards to preventing an enemy MTG.)

Not much to tease this turn...but I would definitely stay tuned :thumbsup:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 13, 2009 4:04 am

[color="Red"]Turn 49, Early April, 1863:[/color]

Really not much action, but an explanation for some movement in officers is certainly in order.

Days after having received word that his idol, his friend, Albert Johnston had once again been repulsed by the Union army in the west now led by Meade, Davis had no choice. Pressure from within his own cabinet, within the Confederate Congress, which was ever more displeased with the state of the war since the loss of Richmond and now Memphis, and pressure from the public forced his hand.

Newspapers were riddling the Kentucky born General with criticism for having retreated when victory appeared so near at hand at Henry. Even the memory of Meade's repulse in Hardeman, TN in the fall didn't hold sway the fierceness of the press or for that matter the ire of the public.

Davis had to replace him. But with whom?? The only other Full Generals left were already occupied at the head of their own armies...or at least leading Corps. Joe Johnston continued to be a pain in Davis's side, pleading with the president to relieve Lee of his command...that the Virginian was too aggressive and was only hastening the south's defeat. Perhaps it was time to give him the army he so badly desired?? No, it would only cause problems within the political circle of established generals and be decried by the public. Beauregard, formerly the leader of the armies of the east and notably...the only Southern general to have achieved victory on a most consecutive basis, namely the re-capture of Bowling Green, a vital strategic city in Kentucky, was both very popular and quite stubborn in his assertion that his rightful place was at the head of the south's most important armies. He had a good point.

Beauregard then? A man rather despised by Albert Johnston, who Davis remembered had said, "Beauregard?...he's nothing but a politician who plays soldier." No, Johnston would be quite dismayed at being replaced by Beauregard. Despite how much the public may have loved the Creole...and currently berated Johnston...many westerners, namely those in Johnston's home state of Kentucky, held a staunch devotion for him. Losing Johnston could mean losing Kentucky...and Kentucky was the only advantage Davis still had.

Another general came to mind. A man whose popularity had quietly risen through the long years of the war. Braxton Bragg. It was Bragg whose brief foray at the head of the Army of the Penninsula saw the repulse of Milroy's army at the Battle of Williamsburg. Under Polk, Bragg's troops held the line against withering fire at 2nd Columbus. It was Bragg, whose division was solely responsible for resting back control of Nashville from Helleck in late summer of the past year. Bragg did the lion's share of the fighting at the Battle of Hardeman, where Meade's advance on Memphis was repulsed. Lastly, Bragg, at the head of his strong Corps, had distinguished himself considerably by beating back Rosecrans and nearly holding against Thomas before being ordered by A.S. Johnston to retreat.

It was settled then. Bragg it would be. The fiery North Carolinian was the only selection. The more Davis had thought about it...Bragg was the perfect selection for an army that had been crippled by defeat. Bragg's enthusiasm and rigorous attention to discipline was exactly what the Army of Tennessee needed and his apparent aggressiveness and wealth of initiative would prove invaluable to a theater that still held promise for the Confederacy.

Davis wired the order to Johnston, "to be relieved of duty in Tennessee and instead see to the liberation of Kentucky should the opportunity for conquest present itself, and if not...the defense thereof." It was a blow softener, Johnston would replace Beauregard at the head of the Army of Mississippi...odly titled as it currently sat in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Beauregard would then be ordered back east, to take command of a Corps under Lee...where his talent for defense would be, as Davis put it, "quite readily taken advantage of."

On to orders! First in the East:

You can see the above dispositions. You will also note the changes I've made in command. I've ordered Joe Johnston west...I'll let it be known where once I figure out where I want him :D . But for now I've decided to divide the army into three Corps. the largest Corps, under Longstreet, will remain stationed outside Goldsboro, digging in with haste. Beauregard, with two divisions, will be sent northwest to Raleigh to begin construction of a second fort. You can't see so well on the map, but I have a supply wagon and some artillery meeting him there. Of course I hope Soundoff doesn't pre-empt my preparations with an advance using Grant and Co. Edward Johnston will march to Hillsboro, NC and begin digging in there with a very small Corps. Lastly, J.E.B Stuart will be ordered to rest at Goldsboro and await further directives. I'll need his cavalry Corps that is sure.

I have marked the three lines of advance I could see Soundoff taking with his army. Judging by the type of player I've come to know him as. Soundoff seems like prefer finding a way to outflank an opponent rather than bull through them, unlike his virtual eastern leader Grant. I sense he will advance along one of these three lines...if not all three at the same time in the coming campaign. By advancing down the westward line...he will allow himself access to my rear areas and into South Carolina...but be spreading his army very thin astride a long and vulnerable rail supply line. And if he opts to take this longer way around and stick with his current mode of supply (planting depots on a road route rather than a rail route)...he'll have to expend considerable resources just to build the depots he'd need for such a move. So I see this as less and less likely to be a serious threat in the coming months.

What I'm sure Soundoff realises is, that by pressing hard on Lee's position at Goldsboro...and concurently taking Wilmington...he'll put my army in a much worse bind. If Soundoff can grab control of Wilmington...he can competely cutoff Lee's line of supply. As I mentioned above...he could conceivably go for the long way around by land...but I wager he will attempt a landing either next turn, or the turn following. Right now I think he will be focused on getting his main army in position for the "big push" south. I've got a division on standby to be sent to Wilmington at the first hint of trouble...but I think I'll be able to see it coming should the attack indeed come.

On to orders in the West!

As you can see, it'll likely be Meade facing off against either Johnston, Bragg or both in the coming campaign year. Bragg has two Corps under his command. One under the newly arrived Jackson, the other under Polk. Polk's Corps, as you can see, is BADLY understrength and desperately is in need of replacements to I've elected to place him INSIDE the Pulaski, TN depot to get further rest. Hopefully it will allow him to collect a relatively large amount of replacements. His Corps could probably swell to above 30,000 if enough troops are assembled.

As I have marked on the map, Meade's (Soundoff's) Objective would have to be the Forts. He has Rosecrans and Thomas to attack there, Hooker could even join in via MTG if he forced march I think. Regretably I haven't much left to send A.P. Stewart, that is other than the Army of Tennessee now under A.S. Johnston. So that's precisely where I'll send him. All told he will have around 17,000 troops and 90 guns with which to defend. It should be enough to repulse Rosecrans alone...but possibly not enough to repulse Rosecrans and Thomas together. A small detachment will be left to blow the Bowling Green depot. My designs on Kentucky will have to wait for now.

I think Soundoff may try for the double whammy this turn though...sending Rosecrans after a lightly defended Nashville and Thomas ramming down on the Forts. Hooker could probably make it up in time to support Thomas if he were to try for it. I certainly have to honor such a prospect. Rosecrans, with a forced march, could reach Nashville in as little as 9 days....with the city only being defended by Joe Wheeler's cavalry (currently gathering this turn) so the defense must be left to Jackson...whose Corps remains Bragg's only fresh formation of troops. Jackson will also forced march...he'll move north and hopefully stop Rosecrans' advance.

Luck I will most certainly need this turn. May fortune favor me!

Now I'm going to just offer some commentary on other theaters which are likely to see significant action this summer:

Mississippi:

Well I haven't much to throw Soundoff back in this theater. But I think I've plenty to hold him for a little while, my navy being the key. Soundoff's river fleet has been completely absent along the river, which baffles me (i'll note its been absent elsewhere as well.) So If Hooker DOESN'T help with the assault on central Tennessee...I suspect he may be tasked with taking Vicksburg...again. I have Ruggles there to defend with 3,800 rather raw troops...two newly raised brigades, some militia and some cavalry. Hooker's likely line of advance would be along the rail line that runs through the central part of the state.

Sheridan is the real concern. He has two lines of advance....either by water or by land. I would fervently hope Soundoff opts for the land route. It would give me more time to prepare Vicksburg's defense and it would pit him against at least SOME resistance, in the form of Quantrill's small Army of Arkansas. Quantrill commands a motley crew of Arkansas and Louisiana volunteers...about 3,000 total. He now has two batteries of artillery with which to counter Sheridan's troops as well. He could also pose a threat to Little Rock should Sheridan abandon it for the afformentioned water route.

Buchannan's fleet would HAVE to be dealt with I would think. were it not....I could deny Soundoff any and all water routes to Vicksburg completely. Controlling the Mississippi should be his primary goal...he's managed to do it with relatively little help from his navy I admit....but with 5 ironclads to contend with...I'd say he HAS to move Foote to relieve the threat. Foote currently sits on the Green river just northwest of Bowling Green.

In Alabama:

Not too much to report here. Much of what you see is how it's been the entire winter. Only change is that I now have a new ironclad in upper Mobile Bay. I plan to move the fleet back to the mouth of the bay to contest any landings Soundoff may have planned. I do wonder if he knows how important Mobile will be to control if he hopes to drive up the underbelly of the Confederacy. If you open your own game at home...you will see that the two rivers which converge to form Mobile bay run north-south nearly the entire length of Alabama. If Soundoff were to take this important river highway....he could be at the gates of Atlanta before winter...not to mention he would outflank my entire position in Tennessee. I will need a staunch defense in Mobile....which I hope to improve with the construction of a fort in the near future.

Also...a quick note...I have not forgotten about Knoxville. It's a long run from Virginia...but Soundoff now has an open road. I've left it open to encourage an advance in this direction. If I can split Grant's army...even a little...it should work to my advantage....and no matter what sort of force Soundoff decides to throw toward Knoxville...whether it be from Virginia...or Kentucky...he'll have to face at least a division of defenders in Mountain terrain all the way down.

SO

Will Grant lurch forward?? Is it the Forts, Nashville...or both?? Stay tuned....

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 18, 2009 11:43 pm

Just FYI to all the readers out there.

In a display of full disclosure and an explanation for the delay in me posting an AAR, I will tell you I just spent...literally 48 hours doing really wild and irresponsible things in California.

In order to do such irresponsible things I am forced to compensate with a heavy work load early this week and so that combined with my literal need to De-toxify with sleep, water, and...well not alcohol...will hold up my AAR for a bit longer.

However I will begin work on it as soon as I've the energy and post it forthwith. Some very interesting twists of strategy happening in Atlanta right now...it may be time for the Southern turtle to take refuge in its Appalachian shell. More on the way.....stay tuned....

Topeka
Private

Tue May 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Banks6060 wrote:it may be time for the Southern turtle to take refuge in its Appalachian shell.

I love it! Festung Appalachia!

kayapo
Private

Thu May 21, 2009 9:19 pm

After many tries I finally managed to read the full thing in one sitting. I kept trying but RL would always keep me from reaching the end and I'd end up going back to the beggining to make sure I was following everything.

I actually shouted at my computer screen when a few posts ago you asked us (readers) if we'd be interested in reading even though you felt like it was a lost cause. "HELL YEAH I'M INTERESTED!" or something along those lines :w00t:

The whole ride has been extremelly interesting and captivating. Very well written and detailed and the fact that both of you are writing at the same time makes it even better. It took me so long to read it because I wanted to read the versions from each side turn by turn.

I presume that one day when the game is finished you will go over Soundoff's part of the AAR and quite frankly I'd be delighted if you decide to make that an PAARR (Post After Action Report Report :bonk :) . It would be great to see your reasoning behind what happened, what you would change etc.

Thank you for the enterteinment and all the insights to the game. I don't think anyone can go over this AAR and not want to jump right on to AACW in hopes to reenact your experiences.

Good luck with the following of the game. :)

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri May 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Well, well...I must say, this is the first AAR I have read from start to present date, and it has taught me SO much about this game! I have not read Soundoff's version (yet) since I, in the past, have mainly played with the South...but since my current PBEM is as the Union I may do just that.

Banks, you have NOTHING to feel bad about! You have hung in there and played pretty masterfully when most others (myself included) would have thrown in the towel. Look at it this way -- the fact that it is into 1863 and you haven't nearly been kicked out of Tennessee is a testament to your solid techniques!

ncuman
Corporal

Tue May 26, 2009 10:00 pm

So Banks, are you going to start up the AAR again soon? I think I speak for all of your loyal readers of Soundoff and your splended AAR's when I say "We want more War!" :dada:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 27, 2009 1:52 am

Then you shall have it!!

Alas...it took a full week of recovery what with my grueling work schedule to get back up to speed after my crazy California trip. So here I am...I've dusted off the old keyboard and will provide you with a quick summary of what I plan to do for the coming turn.

First a moment to thank all you posters who have followed along for so long. If there is a small bit of this AAR that can go to better promote playing AACW...then I think I speak for Soundoff as well when I say...this AAR is serving its original purpose. I know the one thing that gets me excited about playing a game is reading an in depth AAR about it. So thank you again for all of you that have taken the journey with us. Let us continue!!

[color="Red"]Turn 50, Late April, 1863:[/color]

Well Soundoff has begun his "fort hopping" campaign in earnest with the seizure of Fort Clark. Crittenden brushed aside the garrison early in April and took control of the first of 3 forts he'll likely contend with in coming months. With that...here is the way things stand...

I've divided the east into two sectors...inland and coastal...first...inland:

Well Lee is pretty badly outnumbered in this theater what with Jackson gone in the west and Grant gathering strength to his front. Grant's army contains a full 6 Corps not including Crittenden...possibly more than 160,000 men. Steep odds for any defender. But I plan to make the best of it with my 60,000 troops under Lee. I've already built a fort at Goldsboro....the only location which I could conceivably see Grant advancing if he wishes to both take Raleigh...AND throw my defensive line into dissaray.

Lee will remain in Goldsboro with 2 divisions under R.H. Anderson and E.K. Smith respectively...and one independent Brigade under Pickett. I have stationed Lee's command outside the fort for now with "defend and retreat" orders combined with a command to take refuge inside the fort at the end of the turn should he be pressed. Muddy weather will likely prevent any significant thrust from Grant this turn...he only has 80,000 troops in range to use offensively against Lee right now....I suspect I'll have another turn to prepare my defenses.

That is well....because Beauregard is building a second fort at Raleigh and will need 25 days to complete it. That's 1 and 2 third's turns. All hopes rest on another turn of mud in North Carolina in Early May.

I've also opted to send one division to reinforce Wilmington...that lead by Jubal Early...I will get into the details on this front in a moment.

Other movements: Longstreet is ordered to take up a position around Bentonville, NC...thereby linking Lee and Beauregard and offering support to both forts (hopefully the second is built before Grant attacks). J.E.B. Stuart will ride north and west...providing a buffer along what I believe will be Grant's main line of advance. The wooded terrain south of Weldon, NC. This "diamond" defense will allow Stuart support from my entire army should Grant choose to advance there....support in "defensive posture" which is going to be the posture of the day from here on out.

To the coast:

Here...it looks as if Soundoff may have some troops under the command of William H. French....though it's hard to tell. Regardless I must respect this move and so will send Early to Wilmington. When joined with McCown's defenders...Early will have some 8,000 troops with which to defend. More than enough to repel either French OR Crittenden I believe. There are level 6 trenches currently around Wilmington and a fort is under construction there as well.

Fort Fisher's garrison has been strengthened...though it will need additional artillery if it hopes to hold up an advance by Crittenden's two divisions.

I've also ordered 4 ironclads to patrol the approaches to Wilmington's harbor. If Soundoff sneaks a blockade fleet up there....it will be disastrous to Lee's supply situation....cutting off supply to Wilmington...and Lee's army by blocking the railroad bridge running south to Charleston. Yes I've narrowed my supply corridor...you may critisize me for it....but in doing so....I've also narrowed the number of possible targets for Soundoff...thus it's easier to guess where he might attack and thereby better prepare for those targets' defense.

In the west:

A comedy of errors in this theater last turn. A.S. Johnston, ordered to meet up with A.P. Stewart at the forts...carried out his orders...but followed A.P. Stewart instead to where...A.P. Stewart had been ordered to march....Nashville :bonk: . So the forts now lie in the hands of General Hindeman and a few seasoned and well bloodied artillerymen. Hardly enough to repel an attack by Meade's army...or any part thereof.

So with that....it appears all of Kentucky....and with it most of Tennessee are lost. I will abandon Nashville...blow the depot and withdrawal to the Appallachan foothills of central and southern Tennessee. Meade's next objective...Chattanooga. And I plan to make him pay for every inch of ground he marches on to take it.

I've ordered Jackson back to Winchester, TN to join Bragg and the HQ. They will begin digging in there...Jackson will remain on standby to return to the east should he be called. It's likely I will leave two of his now 4 division Corps in Tennesee and form a new Corps under Joe Johnston, who is speeding his way west from North Carolina now.

Polk will remain in Pulaski, TN with around 20,000 troops...some 5 divisions...2 of which are badly understrength. Polk, for some reason, never absorbed the replacements I intended for him to. So his...arguably 30,000 - 35,000 man Corps (at full strength) still sits at a very modest density. June and the volunteers couldn't get here faster.

Wheeler's cavalry division will take up a position in the mountains to the army's eastern flank.

General Forney...with one division will meet several detachments in Knoxville and set about defending that town. It will not be long before either Grant or Meade detaches someone to take it I think.

Finally...after his botched marching orders....General A.S. Johnston will be railed south to aid in the defense of Alabama and possibly the ejection of General Milroy, who has of late caused so much trouble what with the capture of Montgomery.

With that I will move to that theater:

The threat to Atlanta is certainly real now. Milroy's capture of Montgomery has forced Davis into action and so he will send his old friend and war hero to the capitol's defense. A.S. Johnson is ordered south to aid John Hunt Morgan in repelling Milroy. He will either kick Milroy back to the coast...or stop him dead before he gets into Georgia.

Morgan will harrass Milroy's troops...forcing them to use a little more gunpowder before Johnston makes his move. (Milroy has no supply wagons). There is every possibility that Milroy will take a jaunt up the river and try to flank my defense of Chattanooga...but I don't think Soundoff will go for it just yet.

And at last...the gulf coast:

Here, I have really decide to "contract" my line. Both Mobile and New Orleans are vital to my VP total...as well as NM. So holding them is more important than holding Vicksburg. I have decided to stretch Hooker's supply line by destroying the Vicsburg depot and rallying Ruggles command with Holmes in New Orleans. They will also be joined by Quantrill's troops within a month's time...bringing the total strength there to above 12,000.

Another note...both Mobile and New Orleans are vastly capable industrial centers...able to supply an army of at least 20,000 all by themselves. So it is easy to assume that either would be able to survive a prolonged seige should it come to that. Hopefully Johnston has some success in Alabama and can break some things loose.

SO

Will Grant advance on Lee?? Can Bragg get organized before Meade lands the killer blow?? Where will Milroy go next?? Stay tuned.... :thumbsup:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 27, 2009 11:49 am

The last place I expected Milroy to march...Soundoff pulls another "Hooker" and takes Atlanta...throwing a wrench in my entire war effort from a NM standpoint. More commentary on the south's new troubles in my next installment.

As always Stay tuned....

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Again, I apologize for such a nasty delay. The day-to-day work hours have REALLY picked up. That combined with an increased summer social calendar makes it tougher to get in front of the computer and get this AAR done. I certainly hope I've not chased anyone away with what may seem to be my lack of participation.

Trust me when I tell you that dispite how things are going in this struggle vs. Soundoff...I have lost NONE of my resolve and give every turn as much efforrt as I can. I will play this one to the bitter end!

With that:

[color="Red"]Turn 51, Early May, 1863:[/color]

[SIZE="4"]Milroy escapes Johnston, seizes Atlanta!![/size]

What a big surprise...I had not thought Soundoff would go for the throat like that, but low and behold...Milroy marched right up and snatched my capitol from under my legs. That's the second time Soundoff has snuck a march past me...(Hooker at Vicksburg) I certainly intend for there not to be a third The battle results.....horrific:

As you can see, my small garrison did nothing to oppose Milroy's troops. What a great move by my opponent. I must reiterrate my respect and admiration for Soundoff....he has truly played a masterful game.

Well I must take it all in stride...the good news is that Soundoff didn't send Milroy to Atlanta with any supplies, so I'm guessing he won't try to hold it. As a matter of fact I'm putting just about everything on the line in the assumption that he won't try to hold it.

What makes me believe he won't, a few things...he has no supply...he knows Johnston is somewhere in the area...he has to know from the replay. He also has yet to get a grasp on where Jackson is. Soundoff still hasn't spotted Bragg's army. So I'm guessing Soundoff assumes he's got at least 30,000 troops ready to bear down and assault the Confederate capitol to retake it. Soundoff also lacks an ample supply line should he try and destroy the depot at Atlanta. If Milroy stays...I will be able to cut his troops off in unfriendly territory...with lower cohesion....and little supply. The only thing helping Soundoff right now...and the one thing I fear most....is the affect his NM is having on his troops' cohesion levels. If he sees that my reaction would fall upon troops that have vastly higher cohesion, even after so much marching and fighting, than my troops (ie. Milroy's troops) then he MIGHT keep Milroy in Atlanta for one turn. That's what I hope DOESN'T happen...but more on that later. I have more pressing things to discuss....

In the East:

First...an aside. As you will see from the image I am about to show you, Soundoff, while masterful in his invasion of central and eastern Virginia...has rather neglected to conquer the Shennendoah Valley AND has neglected to repair his rail network behind him. I plan to take advantage of that now...with a full summer season to use for maneuvre.

You'll notice my point. Gray throughout the Valley and little to stop a strong force from marching its length and taking Harper's Ferry....or even marching on Washington itself. My plan is not too complicated. I will bring Jackson back from the west and have him gather his army in Liberty, VA. I will discuss WHO will attend the meeting in a moment...but I estimate his army will include around 20,000 troops and just over 100 guns...plus some cavalry for raiding and screening.

If Jackson's gambit is successful...I may even see fit to rejoin him with Lee. I will, by that time, need to have taken a depot or two along Soundoff's supply line so I will be able to collect replaecements when needed and possibly keep a thin artery open to the Carolinas.

You will see WHY I've decided on this plan...Soundoff has kindly allowed me ample time to prepare defenses in North Carolina and my line along the coast and in the eastern sector is quite secure for the moment.

As you can see, I have several Ironclads on the way to protect Fort Morgan, the next likely target in Crittenden's "fort hopping" campaign. I have the CSS Neuse blocking Berry from a direct attack on Wilmington...which would now be quite fruitless anyway since a fort is nearly completed there. I now have forts at Goldsboro AND Wilmington....You can see the troops strengths. Forts are a BITCH to assault. To successfully take one...it's advised that attacker have at LEAST 4 to 1...perhaps even 5 to 1 odds. With that in mind...Each of the forts along my line would likely require Soundoff to committ at LEAST a Corps to take. That knocks out 3 of his Corps....fully half of Grant's army...that along with my navy blocking Crittenden will further reduce his effective field forces to around one third of what they would be....add onto that my planned operation with Jackson and you've got possibly just two Corps to deal with.

NOW...that's assuming Soundoff goes pedal-to-the-medal and lurches forward to take the forts...which I hardly expect from a player of his calibre. I fully expect Soundoff to either move his entire army AROUND my line...to the west....or try and bleed parts of his army between my forts and converge on Wilmington. If Wilmington falls...my entire line then relies on a much longer and rather more untennable line of supply that runs instead through Columbia, SC and around to the west.

With all the above in consideration...I will take measures to protect both lines of supply. Lee and what's left of the field army will converge on the rail junction at Greensboro, NC. I expect Soundoff might try for a move around my left flank this turn with Franklin and Hamilton and keeping control of the forrested region around Greensboro will be important to maintaining that line of supply. I also have General Pickett, with a single brigade, and General Hoke with a division from Savannah, GA's defence railing north to join the defenders at Wilmington. All told it will place around 10,000 troops in the fort. More than enough to stop even the most determined Corps sized assault.

Now....to the details of my operation in the valley with Jackson.

Edward Johnston will be a part of the meeting...as will his supply wagons and a unit of marines from Beauregard's former field Corps. J.E.B. Stuart will also take part of his cavalry force to join the meeting. Once gathered in Liberty, VA...Jackson will have 3 divisions of infantry...around 120 guns....5,000 cavalry and marines for those tough river crossings (of which there will be plenty).

The targets of the campaign will be various...and all will depend on several factors...but consist of 3 primaries and a couple of secondaries.

Primaries:
1. Millboro-destroy the depot
2. Amherst - destroy the depot
EDIT: In looking at the map, I forgot:
3. Take Mannassas...there is SURE to be a wealth of supplies there for Jackson's troops.

Secondaries
1. cut the rails leading north from Petersburg to Aquia - Grant's only quick line of retreat and reaction.
2. March on Washington...possibly taking it...possibly even holding it.
3. Harpers Ferry

The purpose of this valley campaign is pretty simple..and I suppose there are a few goals here:

1. I really need to slow Soundoff down in the east
a. If I can hold up his advance for another campaign season...I might be able to survive into 1864.
2. If I can take Washington, NM will swing HEAVILY in my favor, thereby achieving goal number one...slowing Soundoff down.

All hopes rest on good weather and a whole lot of luck. In fact...I'm quite worried that parts of E. Johnston's command might get picked off by an advancing Franklin and Hamilton...should they indeed advance...but we shall see.

In the West:

Not much action here, but things are bound to heat up sooner or later. Meade has a strong army...comprising some 4 Corps (including that reserve under McClellan at Paducah)...probably around 70,000 men with which to make his push on Chattanooga. I fully expect Rosecrans to take advantage of the lightly defended forts...and I expect Sumner and Stevens will march south and secure Nashville...what I don't know...is what kind of effort Soundoff will make in finding Bragg's army. I know he probably has a good idea where it is, but considering good military doctrine...you can't fight someone you can't see...so I'm guessing he will try and probe into central Tennessee to find me before committing stregth to any campaigning.

What I suppose Soundoff's approach to taking Chattanooga will be...flanking....as per usual. I think the route along the Tennessee River will be his most likely choice as a line of advance for Meade's army...although if he tries it, he'll open up his rear and even more importantly...Kentucky. Which still favors the Southern cause...and will remain "in play" for the forseeable future. I suspect Soundoff knows that he will need significantly more resources to defeat me in this theater of the war...and I don't expect a quick march through Tennessee...in fact I won't be surprised if there is little action here at all this entire year. We will see though. It depends on what happens in the following theater.

Mississippi, Alamaba:

This theater really has me scratching my head...and biting my nails. Hooker sits in Vicksburg with a WEALTH of options. He has all of Mississippi to move through unhindered. He is obviously going to start experiencing some supply problems as I've conveniently blown every depot between Memphis and New Orleans. I suspect Soundoff is aware of this and plans to move Hooker to the nearest supply base as soon as possible. Now...which one??

1. He has Memphis to his north...a sound move, one which would allow him to join forces with Sheridan's small army in Arkansas and shore up his supply situation.

2. He could try for a river assault down the Mississippi to take New Orleans...but I'm quite certain Holmes garrison (currently around 10,000 men and reinforced by Quantrill...close to 12,000) would repulse him so I count that less likely.

3. He could also try for Mobile. A move that is also sound...and would make sense. He already has around 20,000 troops in the area...he has a supply base AT mobile that he could take. Gardner's garrison is strong behind level 6 trenches on "defend at all costs", but a concerted attack by Hooker COULD break through. The only pitfall to this attack would be the amount of time it would take Hooker to get there....even with another lightening march....Hooker's force would be "showing its hand" in trying to make it all the way there from Vicksburg. So I think this move is made somewhat less likely by that fact. Although it is a concern.

All that in mind...one thing is for certain...A.S. Johnston is needed in the above theater...and I hope to avail him once I've finished mopping things up in...

Georgia:

While at first I performed a nice little "dance of frustration" at such a masterful move by Soundoff...worthy of Grant himself. I took time to process everything and came to some rather obvious conclusions. Milroy CANNOT stay in Atlanta long...he simply doesn't have the supply and his troops would starve. Milory's troops have to be a little low on cohesion.

However my choices are limited...I have to retake Atlanta...I would so love to focus on cutting off Milroy's command, but the NM impact of retaking Atlanta as well as retaking its depot intact are too important. So I will rail Johnston's army to Atlanta and "assault at all costs". Morgan's troops will attack as well....take back Montgomery and high-tail it back to Atlanta to join Johnston...(you can't see that movement arrow because I neglected to paint it :bonk :) .

SO

Can Jackson get set without interferance?? Will Grant try for the end around...or the belly dive?? Where will Hooker go next?? Stay tuned....

ncuman
Corporal

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:14 am

Banks6060 wrote:Again, I apologize for such a nasty delay. The day-to-day work hours have REALLY picked up. That combined with an increased summer social calendar makes it tougher to get in front of the computer and get this AAR done. I certainly hope I've not chased anyone away with what may seem to be my lack of participation.

Banks,
Don't worry if RL gets in the way of posting all the time. After all, RL is more important than the AAR any day of the week. Just post what you can, when you can. Waiting just adds to the suspense! :thumbsup:

Jim-NC

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:26 am

Gusty gamble in the valley. We will have to see what the future holds for you. This has been a real nail biter I must say. :)
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jokeon
Corporal

Great AAR

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:52 pm

It has been great fun keeping up. I love the way you turn every setback into an opportunity.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21 pm

Just wanted to drop in and let everyone know an update IS coming today. :thumbsup:

count taaffe
Sergeant

Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi Banks6060!

Banks6060 wrote:Just wanted to drop in and let everyone know an update IS coming today. :thumbsup:

Great news - thank you - the AAR is SUPERB!!!! :coeurs: :thumbsup:

MrT
Colonel

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:08 pm

This is great, just sat and read it all and can honestly say i am enthralled (for want of a better word). Had to register to tell you this is like watching a great tv drama, your always waiting to see what happens next!
GL to you Mr Banks sir.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Well thank you for all the support gentlemen! While I fear this may end up being the last year of the war...there is certainly hope that the revolution will survive through the next winter. If there are such a thing as miracles...a bunch of really lucky blockade and embargo rolls might get me FI...though at this point I'm hardly counting on it.

[color="Red"]Turn 52, Early May, 1863:[/color]

Jackson beats back Rosseau at Christianburg!! (While making his way east, Jackson encountered about 8,000 troops under Rosseau outside the western Virginia town of Christianburg. Jackson't troops were able to set up a strong defense in a mountain pass covering the main road to town. Rosseau's attempts to bypass Jackson's line never exceeded a determined probe by one of his more veteran brigades...which was repulsed. Union losses: around 800....Confederate: around 450.)

Meade takes Nashville!! (certainly expected. Sumner's Corps sauntered into a city who's citizens, war weary and practically starving, were almost glad to see the "boys in blue". At least they knew they had a better chance of having 3 square meals a day. There were a few in the crowd who swore they would not relent in their resistance to Union rule however.)

Johnston wins back Atlanta!! (His small army was too late to engage Milroy's troops, but he was able to save the city's vital depot. Now dirty work lay ahead for the 12,000 remaining troops of the Army of Mississippi. More in a moment.)

Hooker makes his move, Mobile!! (He didn't make it all the way there, but Hooker's army appears to be headed for Mobile. Things are really going to heat up in the deep south this turn.)

On to orders...

I'm going to start in Georgia this time around, there's VERY likely to be a crucial battle coming up this turn. As you'll see in the screenie...

It's clear to me that Milroy's troops are probably going to be suffering from some supply problems soon unless they withdrawal. With the pressure Soundoff's been putting on me in this theater...with the depot I believe he's getting ready to construct at Montgomery...and with the lightly defended depot at Columbus, GA just waiting to be taken to complete his supply chain into Georgia....Columbus HAS to be Milroy's next target. I expect there may be some support from Blair's division, but I don't have time to worry about that at this point. Johnston's army is ordered south to ensure Milroy is ejected from the area.

Milroy will get the jump on me...by that I mean it'll only take him 4 days to get to Columbus...however he'll still be in assault posture...as will my army. To assuage the difference between Soundoff's overall cohesion and mine....I've orderd Johnston's troops to assault at all costs. Robert E. Rhodes (3-2-2) will hopefully help add a little punch to the attack along with Johnston's (4-2-1)...that along with a possible "surpriser" availability...I might be able to come out on top.

I'm leaving a small brigade behind to repair the rails around Atlanta and begin digging trenches. I have reinforcements en route as well. A division under R.W. Anderson....as well as Taliaferro from the east. They should arrive in Atlanta within the month.

Now...shifting to the west slightly...the area around Mobile:

Well's it's now abundantly clear what Hooker's objective is....Mobile. At least every part of me believes that's what it is. There's a chance Hooker could add to my troubles in Georgia...but, I would think Mobile to just be too much of a prize for Soundoff to pass up.

Hooker I expect will make a quick march south to take the city with the help of that fleet you see off the Florida coast. Soundoff will need to deal with my ironclads if he wants to secure a supply line into Alabama.

I'm sending Quantrill with around 4,000 troops to reinforce Gardner in Mobile, but it will take him 18 days to get there....not good. Hopefully Gardner can hold in his level 6 trenches long enough for Quantrill to provide relief next turn. One thing helping Gardner's defense...terrain....marshy. That will hopefully narrow the frontage sufficiently to beat Hooker's attack back.

Moving to the east:

When you see this next screenie...you'll be able to see my concern for the defense of Goldsboro...and subsequently Wilmington...Jackson may well end up fighting alone afterall...

As you can see, Soundoff's cavalry are probably able to see just about everything I've got in Goldsboro...and I think he knows that with a concerted push with the Corps of McDowell, Whipple and Berry...he has a decent chance of carrying the fort that protects the town.

With this in mind, I'm sending Lee and Longstreet with around 32,000 troops to guard the town and its approaches. They will be travelling by rail and so will arrive in 4 days. More than enough to time to possibly dig in a little before McDowell and Whipple arrive...if in fact they come. If they don't I won't be too surprised....but surely Soundoff has the stomach to endure SOME significant loss to his troops when it means breaking my line.

My fleet along the coast will increase this turn to 7 ironclads. More than enough to repel the small fleet Soundoff has stationed outside Fort Clark. Though I'm sure my esteemed opponent has by now realized his disadvantage in naval material and is churning out monitors like it's going out of style :thumbsup: . Hopefully I can at least keep Crittenden bottled up at Fort Morgan for awhile. That's around 12,000 troops that Soundoff could sorely use against Wilmington.

to the inland sector of the east:

Well a bit of a problem here....Jackson will have to take "the long way".

MUD...it covers the two most important regions along Jackson's would-be line of advance...were it not for the mud, Jackson would probably be able to make it damn near all the way to Mannassas this turn...at least close to Harrisonburg, VA...(which would conveniently hide him, likely causing Soundoff a few sleepless nights ;) ).

So I will have to make do with what I have and advance along the mountain ridge to the south and east. I fully expect Soundoff, being the very knowledgable player he is...might just attack me with Franklin and Hamilton's troops...he's got the edge in troops strength...well calling it an edge would be a VAST understatement :D . Although I think my conservative opponent will opt for the defensive in reaction to Jackson's gambit. Since I have J.E.B Stuart in the area...there's every chance that both Corps may just retreat to protect Amherst...either than or Hurlbut's division will and Franklin and Hamilton will enter the valley to counter Jackson. At any rate....I have Jackson moving quickly to set-up near Charlottesville...he'll remain in defensive posture and try to avoid any major combat.

E. Johnston's troops weren't able to join Jackson this turn...which is another frustrating setback, but I'll have to deal with it...he will force march along Jackson's line of advance, following him north to the region just west of Amherst.

J.E.B. Stuart will detach the Laurel brigade under the able command of John Walker, who will penetrate east to cut the rails between Petersburg and Richmond. Hopefully this will manage to slow Soundoff's reaction forces down enough should I manage to make it all the way to Mannassas.

Stuart's other troopers will screen Jackson's command and then continue north to threaten Winchester and Harper's Ferry. Keeping my fingers crossed in this theater...I've got the initiative and hopefully I'll be able to maintain it for awhile.

In the west:

I have NO idea what Soundoff has planned in this theater...certainly there is the chance he will work on concentrating his army...but with that cavalry unit peeking into Polk's trenches...I've got the feeling Soundoff may begin leaning on me with some of that material and NM weight.

Thomas, Sumner AND Rosecrans are all within attacking distance. So there is a good chance Soundoff may go for it. I don't want to take the chance of Polk's isolated troops getting mauled too badly by a stronger enemy army...so I'm going to withdrawal...destroying the Pulaski, TN depot first...and pulling back to Winchester. Johnston's Corps will march west in support of Polk and then continue south near Tracy City.

SO

Can Johnston repulse Milroy?? Will Grant assault at Goldsboro?? Will Gardner be able to hold against Hooker...and more importantly...will Quantrill be in a good position to rescue the city??

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:31 am

Since Soundoff will be gone for a few weeks I'm going to begin posting some more of the battle maps of some of the more crucial engagements thus far in the game. If there were to be any of you viewers out there that would not mind....(and wouldn't think it unfair)....I would appreciate reports on which of Soundoff's Divisions were hit hardest in each of the following battles:

Lexington: [color="Red"]Holmes[/color] vs. [color="Navy"]Morrell[/color] - early winter 1861
Wilmington: [color="Red"]Bragg[/color] vs. [color="navy"]Milroy[/color] - winter 1861
1st Columbus: [color="red"]Johnston[/color] vs. [color="navy"]Foster's Corps [/color]- 1862??
Hampton Roads: [color="red"]Lee [/color]vs. [color="navy"]Milroy[/color] - spring 1862
1st Appomattox: [color="red"]Lee[/color] vs. [color="navy"]Grant[/color] - early summer 1862
1st Amherst: [color="red"]Lee[/color] vs. [color="navy"]Grant[/color] - summer 1862
Charlottesville: [color="red"]Jackson[/color] vs. [color="navy"]Franklin and Berry [/color]- late summer 1862
Nashville: [color="red"]Van Dorn, Bragg [/color]vs. [color="navy"]Helleck[/color] - late summer 1862
2nd Appomattox: [color="red"]Lee[/color] vs. [color="navy"]Grant[/color] - fall/winter 1862
Henderson, TN: [color="red"]Johnston[/color] vs. [color="navy"]Meade's Corps [/color]- fall 1862
Little Rock: [color="Red"]Quantrill[/color] vs. [color="Navy"]Sheridan [/color]- winter 1862
Mobile: W.H.F. [color="red"]Lee[/color] vs. [color="navy"]Milroy[/color] - ?? 1862

If you can think of others that I've failed to mention then that's great. If there are any of you that think it would be best not to take this on just yet...let me know.

dublish
Corporal

Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Banks6060 wrote:Since Soundoff will be gone for a few weeks I'm going to begin posting some more of the battle maps of some of the more crucial engagements thus far in the game. If there were to be any of you viewers out there that would not mind....(and wouldn't think it unfair)....I would appreciate reports on which of Soundoff's Divisions were hit hardest in each of the following battles:

If you can think of others that I've failed to mention then that's great. If there are any of you that think it would be best not to take this on just yet...let me know.

I think it's a great idea, but I'm not willing to pass the information along without soundoff's approval.

This might be something for a third party to do in the comments thread, where neither of you can see the results.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:34 am

A crucial battle you didn't have... Annapolis in late '61. I also noticed near the beginning you had several turns where M Bonham was not building a depot you wanted because he was inactive. I just started reading this so I'm sure by now you've figured out that a leader can build a depot even if he's inactive. If all else fails you could detach the supplies...
Permit me to jump on the bandwagon. GENIUS. I'm amazed at the constant turns this game is taking. First you had soundoff on the ropes early on, then he flanked you through WV and forced a retreat, then the Battle of the Bulge... This is exactly how the game should be played. Well, maybe Soundoff could take better care of his rail lines. I read both AARs and I'm like seeing how sometimes you guess each other's aims perfectly and at other times you throw each other for loops.
I hope the bugs in 1.14 get fixed soon. This is making me itch to play a PBEM and make my own AAR.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Numbers?

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Dear Sir: You are full of it! Arne: Get this "person!" t :(

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:51 pm

tagwyn wrote:Dear Sir: You are full of it! Arne: Get this "person!" t :(

:confused: Who are you talking about?

MrT
Colonel

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:54 pm

was a spambot earlier thats who he means.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Quick teaser....Soundoff should be getting back from his trip soon. I'll be posting my latest update within then next 24 hours.

Jackson is back in the valley
Milroy and Johnston battle it out in Georgia
Lee's line under threat by Grant
Mobile under siege?

Stay tuned...

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Spambot?!

Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Mr. T: I am sure you are correct. t :thumbsup:

Return to “American Civil War AARs”