gchristie
Brigadier General

great job

Mon May 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Spharv2,

Really enjoying your AAR. You strike a great balance between an engaging narrative and a level of detail that is helpful to players. Nice screenies, too.

'Bout all I have time for these days is reading the forum and living vicariously through the AARs. I look forward to your next installment.

Thanks for the effort. :thumbsup:
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Spharv2

Tue May 12, 2009 2:57 am

Thanks guys. I am a bad AAR writer....bad! I've been working on the storyline while I'm at work, and the game playing here at home, but I keep forgetting to e-mail the seperate pieces back and forth so I can post it at one place or the other. I will try to remember to do so tomorrow so I can post up another turn or two....but now I'll go hit myself with a rolled up newspaper. :)
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 pm

Resolution:
Small armory built in Meridian (+9 ammo)
Raiders sink $8 and 4 WS
Blockade runners return $1 and 15 WS
Farragut's fleet bombards Ft. Caswell, NC hitting once and being hit 40 times in return.
USA captures Harpers Ferry and depot.
1st Kentucky brigade finished in Prestonburg
CSA wins a battle against USA in Waverly, VA

CSA captures Paducah (+6 supply carts, 1 crate of ammo)

Frost's MO Brigade finished in Springfield
Stewart's, and Johnson's TN Brigades finished in Huntsville
Cabell's AR Brigade finished in Madison
CSA wins a battle against USA in Lexington, KY

USA captures harbor in Stafford, VA
J. Palmer's fleet finds Dodge Squadron, inflicting 5 hits and being hit once.
W.H.C. Whiting has been congratulated. Seniority: 98
Polk has been congratulated. Seniority: 3
Alliance with Native Americans event fires. (Stand Waite and his three Indian units arrive)
Stand Waite - 6-0-1
Ft. Gibson recaptured (+33 supply carts, 21 crates of ammo)
Divisional command now enabled.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Wed May 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Turn 13 -
Story:
Jefferson Davis looked at Gen. Beauregard, then Gen. Joseph Johnston. “Do you think you’ll be able to move up quickly enough to support Gen. Beauregard in an attack?” he asked Johnston.

“I will make the attempt sir, but I cannot guarantee my forces will make it in time to support the attack”

“Gen. Beauregard, do you have enough force to reclaim Fredericksburg alone? Are your troops up to the task if Gen Johnston is unable to reach you in time to join the attack?”

Beauregard looked nervous and fiddled with the pommel of his sword. “I believe we may be able to retake the town, but I do not want to move forward until I can be sure. If you issue orders to that effect, I will, of course, endeavor to do so.”

Davis fumed silently. He knew Beauregard was basically attempting to shift any blame for a reverse from himself to the administration, while if the attack went well, he would reap the rewards himself.

“Fine, I will draft orders to that effect as soon as this meeting is finished. Make no mistake gentlemen; we cannot win this war by remaining on the defensive, we must carry the war onto our enemy’s territory. We will not conquer their land, though we will reclaim those areas that have been overrun by the Yankees. But we must make their people feel that they are a part of this war, more than simply sending men off to fight somewhere they will never see. We have to bring the war to their doorstep so they will petition their government to end the war. We cannot win this war militarily if they bring their full strength against us. We need to win it politically by making their populace force the government to give up the fight. We cannot win this war through timidity and safe campaigns. We must strike hard, strike fast, and no matter who you are, or what you’ve accomplished, if you cannot do so, you will be replaced”.

Davis sat back, face flushed. He should not have let his temper get the better of him, now he would have to try and repair the damage. “I apologize gentlemen. Know that I have full faith in your abilities, and know you will do your best in the difficult situation we have been put in. Please, let us adjourn to the house, where Mrs. Davis has been informed we will take a good dinner before you go back to the field”

The next day, Davis signed off on the divisional commanders his commanders had recommended. The CSA was now implementing a new command structure in order to reduce command confusion. The size of the forces was simply too large to continue using the brigade as the base force. Lee had also been discussing moving to a corps command. His command in western Virginia had demonstrated how difficult coordinating diverse commanders could be, and that was with a relatively small force. Unfortunately, that change would have to go through congress, which meant delays and indecision.

He also dispatched a response to Gen Longstreet approving his new plan of attack on Ft. Monroe. He felt confident that this time it would fall and finally free up those forces to provide support elsewhere. Despite the time it had taken and the difficulties encountered, Longstreet was proving to be a fine general. He hoped he would continue to perform well once he was able to leave the confines of the peninsula.

He was handed a telegram by his aide, he read it and sighed. It was yet another dispute between the generals. This time it was Ruggles angered at being passed over for divisional command by Bushrod Johnson. Ruggles was talking to his friends in the senate and doing his best to cause problems. As much as Davis would prefer to put the man in his place and try to end this practice of getting politics involved in command issues, he could not afford to lose a quality commander, and considering the recent military issues in Virginia, he could not afford to press the congress at the moment. So he decided to transfer Ruggles out to Charleston Missouri to assume command of the forces gathering there. Not only would it put a good commander in a position he was needed, it would get Ruggles about as far away from his congressmen friends as possible.

Also in Missouri, McCulloch had finished preparing for his advance, and was moving to recapture Rolla. The city was vital, as it was centrally placed, and would be able to provide numerous routes for further advances if recaptured. Compared to the forces arrayed here in the east, the western areas seemed to be fairly lightly held. They had been unable to take advantage of that fact up until now, but more aggressive men were taking command of rapidly growing forces now, so soon Davis hoped they would be able to stake solid claims on the disputed states of Kentucky and Missouri.

Actions:
Movement -
I form my divisions, and suddenly I've gone from not enough generals to way too many, much better problem to have.
Banks landed in Waverly and had the small fight with Whiting as he passed through. Johnston passed on by, and will now turn around and hopefully attack him on the way up to join Beauregard, while Bushrod Johnson is moving to intercept Banks if Johnston doesn't hit him. I need to reinforce Beauregard who did not attack Fredericksburg because a large Union force under Milroy is heading south toward Fredericksburg.
Longstreet will give Fort Monroe another shot, and has plenty of artillery to do the job.
The new KY and TN brigades will move toward Bowling Green as I continue to gather forces to dispute Union advances in Kentucky.
I operate Ruggles over to assume command of the forces gathered in Charleston, MO.
McCulloch will move on Rolla this turn, while Bragg remains in Springfield training the militia there.
Stand Waite will simply recapture the Indian territories this turn, and then move toward Rolla to support and scout for McCulloch.

Purchases -
I used a lot of WS to put my divisions together, so I will invest in 20 rail since I've had to overuse my rail lines in Virginia the past few turns.
I also purchase 1 TN cavalry regiment to do a little scouting and join with Forrest once he arrives.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Wed May 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Resolution:
Vicksburg increases output of common goods (+18 general supply)
Raiders sink $8 and 4 WS
Blockade runners bring back $2 and 14 WS
Farragut's fleet bombards Ft Caswell, NC hitting 4 times and being hit 37
CSA wins a battle in Waverly, VA

CSA wins a battle in Clarksburg, KY

CSA loses a battle at Fredricksburg and retreats to Culpepper.

USA captures Clarksburg, KY

J. Palmer's fleet finds Lewis Cass squadron and lands 4 hits, being hit once
CSA recaptures Creek village in Indian territory.
CSA wins a battle in Lexington, KY

CSA wins a battle at Ft Monroe capturing 2,000 rifles (+105 supply carts and 115 crates of ammo)
CSA captures Ft Monroe and depot

Ransom's NC Brigade finished in Wilmington
CSA recaptures Cherokee village in Indian territory.
CSA wins a two day battle in Rolla, MO
CSA captures Rolla, MO along with 2,000 rifles (+93 supply carts and 38 crates of ammo)

McCulloch has been congratulated. Seniority: 8
Price has been congratulated. Seniority: 14
Longstreet has been congratulated. Seniority: 7
Zolicoffer has been congratulated. Seniority: 97
Blockade runner Venus ready to sail in Wilmington.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Wed May 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Unfortunately, I've now caught up with my story. Got really busy at work this week, so I haven't had time to work on it. I've played through turn 26, just haven't got the narrative for anything past this turn yet. Anyone have an opinion? I can keep posting the turns and resolutions and backfill the story as I go, or I can hold off until I can get that caught up. It's like a choose your own adventure book, except one choice has about half as much adventure. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

Wed May 13, 2009 4:30 pm

I vote "story"! I love this wonderful, creative thingy you've got going here! :thumbsup: :coeurs:

[SIZE="1"]Unless, of course, you'd kinda prefer it the other way.[/size]
Aphrodite Mae

bburns9
Sergeant

Wed May 13, 2009 4:45 pm

I stand behind our Queen and vote "Story" as well. The narrative adds a great flavor to this AAR!
Find out what Grant drinks and send a barrel of it to each of my other generals! - A. Lincoln

Spharv2

Wed May 13, 2009 5:25 pm

As my queen commands. :D Actually just finished rushing out one more turn while nobody was looking here at work, so I could stick at least one more up here today.

Turn 14 -
Story:
Jefferson Davis looked down at the avenue below the capital building, watching a troop of Georgia cavalry trotting past. They were headed to join the forces still trying to corner and defeat the Federals who were currently somewhere south of Petersburg.

His mind dwelled on the decision to send Beauregard forward on an attack he clearly didn’t want to make. True, Johnston had been delayed and only arrived after the battle, but Davis should have expected slow movements given the fact that Davis was the only one who believed in the attack.

Beauregard himself had delayed too long to attack and found himself facing a force five times his size by the time he got near Fredericksburg. He had quickly pulled back to the west and made a stand near Salem Church on the Plank Road. There, the restricted frontage had enabled him to give the Union forces a bloody nose, and left them uninterested in continuing the pursuit. Now Johnston had joined him, but too late. They would have to pull back to Richmond for now.

To add to the problems, Beauregard was blaming Johnston for his failure to reach him before the battle. The two had gotten along well thus far, but now the acrimony between them was palpable. He wished he could find generals who could work together better, but in matters of pride and blame, the southern character was at its worst. He would have to do something to separate the two men. Beauregard had handled his army well, and his men loved the cocksure little man, so he would retain command of the Virginia forces. But where to send Johnston that wouldn’t hurt his pride too much?

At that moment, the kind hand of providence touched him. The aide entered and handed him a telegram from A.S. Johnston in Kentucky, requesting a new commander to replace one of his generals who had fallen from his horse and been killed. Joe Johnston was a fine soldier, but seemed timid when faced with a decision. If anyone could put some fire in his belly, it was Albert Johnston. That man could drive a nail through a plank with just his voice when he got riled up. And Joe could not complain too much about being subordinates to Albert Sydney, who was one of the country’s most respected military men before the war. Davis said a quick prayer of thanks and began drafting the orders.

Once that was done, Lee came in and joined him to look over further movements. Due to the failure of the attack at Fredericksburg, Huger would have to pull out of Manassas Junction. He had hoped to hold on in the northern part of the state even with a small force, but they were simply too isolated with the legions of Yankees appearing ready to descend on them. They could move back and cover Charlottesville to screen the western approaches to lower Virginia.

Bushrod Johnson had reported intermittent contact with Nathanial Banks around Petersburg, and was requesting more cavalry to try and pin him down. Davis had very few spare cavalry units to send, but between Johnson and Whiting they should be able to trap and destroy that force without them. Banks had engaged in numerous running fights since landing and finding that his commander’s force had been destroyed. His men must be tired, hungry, and nearly out of munitions.

In the west, Benjamin McCulloch was proving to be quite a thorn in the Yankee side. He had recaptured Rolla, MO, and sent Lyon scrambling for cover. His report stated that his force was nearly spent, and requested reinforcement. Despite the condition of his men, he was putting on a show for any scouts that might be looking around, digging in and trying any method to make his forces look as impressive as possible. He asked Lee to reply to McCulloch stating their intentions to send Ruggles and his force west to join him as soon as they were gathered.

According to the report, a General Grant had taken command in St. Louis. The name sounded familiar, it must be old army, but he couldn’t place a face to the name.

Actions:
Movement -
Well, Milroy got to Fredericksburg before Beauregard could be reinforced, so frankly I was lucky that with 5-1 odds, Beauregard did as well as he did. I have gotten Beauregard and Johnston's force together now, so I pull them back to defend Richmond.
Huger will pull his division back to cover Charlottesville.
The AI has forced me completely out of everything north of Richmond through maneuver. Not bad for an AI I think.
Banks got beat again, but is now sitting outside Petersburg. Bushrod Johnson will again try to intercept him with assault orders since Banks should be quite weakened by the last two battles.
Whiting moves to Waverly to repair the rails Banks tore up last turn.
I operate J.E. Johnston over to Bowling Green to team him with A.S. Johnston. Once corps commands are available, he will make a good commander. I also set Johnston to building a depot in Bowling Green to support future offensive moves.
I send a couple of river transports to Paducah to construct a depot there.
As soon as Cabell's AR Brigade arrives in Charleston, MO, I will move Ruggles and that force into western Missouri to join McCulloch.
McCulloch's force is nearly spent. I can see Grant with a decent force in St. Louis, hopefully he remains there for now, I can't resist much of an attack, so I give McCulloch's force the “defend and retreat” ROE.
Venus heads for the blockade box
I am tapped out of conscripts. I will hold out until '62 before I institute the draft, which means I need to be pretty conservative with my troops for the next two months. I'll stay on the defensive in Virginia, and hold what I have in Kentucky, minus Louisville unless it manages to hold out for a while longer. If it continues to hold out, I might move some troops up there since it is a recruitment center.
The only area I might go on the offensive in is Missouri, when Ruggles reinforces McCulloch, I should have a solid force able to cause some big problems for the Union there.

Purchases -
3 line infantry replacements, light industrialization in NC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Wed May 13, 2009 5:37 pm

I vote for the story.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 13, 2009 5:45 pm

Jim-NC wrote:I vote for the story.

+1 ...... providing you have the time Spharv2. I'm fully aware of how consuming it can be. ;)

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 13, 2009 5:52 pm

Those generals' ratings are RIDICULOUS!!! Zolllicofer could not tie his shoelaces withoug help from an NCO. Stupid! How do I get this message out? t

Spharv2

Wed May 13, 2009 6:09 pm

tagwyn wrote:Those generals' ratings are RIDICULOUS!!! Zolllicofer could not tie his shoelaces withoug help from an NCO. Stupid! How do I get this message out? t

And this would be why I play with high randomization. I've had games where my top general for the South ended up being Bonham, and as the North where Butler ended up commanding the Army of the Potomac and driving the CSA out of Virginia and North Carolina. Though it's a crying shame when Cooper or Scott end up with really nice stats and you can't use them. :)

None of the generals were known quantities at the time of the war. Even some of those who were well though of turned out to be complete duds, while men who had never served in the army turned into complete tigers. It's not nearly as much fun for me if it's always the same generals who are good, game after game. It's why I pushed for the leader randomization to be included. It could be better if the ratings were hidden, and if traits could be randomized, but I'll survive until AACW 2. Besides, it's kind of fun to get a general with good stats and bad traits and trying to figure out how to use him.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Wed May 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Resolution:
Small ironworks set up in Grenada (+4 WS) Woohoo!
Raiders sink $8 and 4 WS
Blockade runners return $2 amd 12 WS
9th US Fleet bombards Norfolk, hitting 5 times and being hit 58 times in return
Ft Monroe bombards 9th Fleet hitting 38 times and being hit 5 times in return
CSA wins a battle in Petersburg, VA

Law's AL Brigade finished in Tuscumbia
USA captures Winchester, VA in two day battle.

1st TN Cavalry finished in Memphis
CSS Arkansas completed
Cooper Retires event fires (Samuel Cooper removed)
Election Day in the South event fires. (+1 NM)
A.P. Stewart arrives
A.P. Stewart - 1-5-2
CSA maximum entrenchment level is now 4

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Thu May 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Turn 15 -
Story:
A cold wind blew in through the door as Jefferson Davis stepped into the house and saw Varina standing there to greet him. “Good evening my dear, how was your day?”

“Well, one of your sons gave us a scare today. We found him outside crawling around the balcony. The nurse said she had turned around to fill a basin and by the time she turned back, he had managed to get outside”

“I would wager that it was Joseph then, not Jeff Jr?”

“Of course. I wouldn’t be nearly as worried about Jeff, he has as much sense as his father. Joe is constantly trying to find new and horrifying ways to frighten the wits out of me though. Here, come into the sitting room and I will try to get some food in you. Do we have any new emergencies to worry about? I haven’t heard any new rumors aside from that force of Yankees south of here who were apparently about to steal us all out of our beds in the night recently, and I have noticed that supplies of everything are getting a bit short.”

“Nothing much is new. The Yankees you have hear tell about are still down there. We’ve got them running, but just can’t track them down and make them stand and fight yet. But they’re no threat to us here. The reason that things are in short supply at the moment is that there’s a Yankee fleet that looks to be moving toward the James. Our blockade runners are putting in to port further south, and until we can deal with Mr. Banks who is currently threatening every rail line south of here, supplies are few and far between.”

“Well, it can’t be helped at the moment I suppose. Are you still planning on sending us to Carolina when the lines are open again?”

“Yes Winnie, as soon as I can be assured of your safety, I will be sending all of you south until we can be assured that the capital is safe. Recent events have shown us that this city is simply too exposed to a quick attack. I will not risk you or the children simply to make myself feel better. I will miss you dearly, but better a short separation than a permanent one. You can stay with family for now and as soon as the situation improves, I will try to bring you all back. Besides, winter is setting in, and little William would probably much prefer warmer climes.”

“Very well dear, but you had best remember to take care of yourself. You are a strong and stubborn man, and will work yourself into an early grave if there is no one to watch over you. While I would still be quite the eligible woman, I have no desire to go through any of that again,” she said and gave a slight smile, “besides, most of the eligible men are off in the army, I might actually have to chase them.”

“Well, we can’t have that Mrs. Davis. It would be unseemly for you to switch from hunted to hunter at this stage,” Davis replied with a quick laugh, “I promise I will take care of myself. I can’t promise not to work over long, but I will try to keep my health up.”

Actions:
Movement -
Winter is beginning to set in, so not too much this turn.
Bushrod Johnson will once more chase Banks to Petersburg, they're just kind of running in circles now.
A.P. Stewart moves to join A.S. Johnson in Bowling Green
1st TN Cav moves to Fts. Henry and Donelson.
CSS Arkansas moves to Paducah
Stand Waite will break the rail line behind a union force that just popped up in Rolla and then move back to shelter since winter has hit.
McCulloch will go to assault posture and try to take out the union force at Rolla since I could use the supply units they're lugging around.
US 9th fleet has blockaded the lower James. Wish I still had something to go after them since my batteries put a hurting on them when they moved in.

Purchases -
1 Army HQ, 1 line infantry, 2 cav, and 1 field art replacements
10 rail, 10 riverine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Resolution:
A small armory has been built in Jackson (+6 ammo)
Shieldsboro increased their output of common goods (+20 general supply)
A small ironworks built in Grenada (+3 WS)
Raiders sink $8 and 4 WS
Blockade runners return $2 and 14 WS
Depot finished in Bowling Green
CSA wins a battle in Rolla, MO

USA captures Alexandria, VA
CSA wins a two day battle against US in Petersburg capturing 3,000 rifles

Stand Waite and Indians occupy Jefferson City, MO (+25 supply carts, 12 crates of ammo)
USA captures Manassas and depot.
9th Fleet bombards Richmond hitting 8 times and being hit 89 times in return. All ships in fleet sunk except for ironclad USS Nahant
Robert E. Lee and Franklin Buchanan injured in bombardment
J. Palmer's fleet found Lewis Cass squadron hitting 4 times and being hit once in return.
Bushrod Johnson has been congratulated. Seniority: 79
Union forces besiege Richmond

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Mon May 18, 2009 10:12 pm

This will have to go on a hiatus for a few weeks. We're finally moving into our new house, and even though it's only about 15 miles away. Between the packing and transfer of utilities, I'm going to be very busy for a while. But I shall return and continue once I move roughly 14 quintillion boxes and get them all unpacked. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rafiki

Tue May 19, 2009 6:35 am

Happy moving, Sphar; looking forward to this one's continuation :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Tue May 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Well, my life has basically gone from bad to worse here in the past weekend. Not moving, the house deal fell through, but I have some other big issues in my life now, so I'm going to be away for a while. Need to step back, take a while and re-evaluate a lot of things in my life right now. I'll still be around a bit, but not much. I just need time to put everything back together right now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johnny Canuck

Tue May 26, 2009 8:45 pm

Crappy news - I hope everything works out.

Rafiki

Tue May 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Sorry to hear that Sphar. Hope you get things sorted out in the best way possible.

Thanks for the heads-up :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Just an update for anyone who was actually reading this. In the next week I plan to pick this back up and try and finish it off. It will take about a week due to internet issues, but as soon as those are resolved, I'll try and pick up where I left off...if I can remember where that was. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gchristie
Brigadier General

Good to hear

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Looking forward to the next installment. Glad you are back.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Meagher
Sergeant

Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:37 am

I'm very glad to hear that you will be continuing. I really enjoy your approach. Your historical understanding and narrative style add a lot of depth.

Spharv2

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Turn 16 -
Story:
Davis looked at the letter in his hands, even out in the field he continued to read the dispatches, with a bit of relief. His use of government funds to jumpstart an industrial base in Mississippi was finally bearing fruit. Small for now, the individual efforts would begin to add up over time. This particular letter was describing a small ironworks in Grenada that had begun to turn out rifles. It would be a while before artillery could be produced, but rifles were definitely a good start.

It was a much needed bit of good news, considering the entirety of Northern Virginia was now lost. The Union had moved forces into the recently vacated Manassas Junction, and had now occupied everything north of the Rappahannock River. Fortunately their landings in the southern part of the state had been disjointed and too widely separated, which enabled the Confederate forces to defeat each one in succession. The last force, which had been vainly attempting to pass around to the west of Richmond to rejoin the rest of the Northern Army, had finally been blocked by a force under Bushrod Johnson who had killed or captured nearly the entire tired and dispirited force. Johnson had been shocked by the determination of the enemy in the battle. He had offered terms once it became apparent that they would not be able to continue their flight, and again after the first day of battle had gone poorly for the Union. The force had refused to give in though, and the fight had quickly became a one sided affair. Eventually, small groups of men surrendered to the Confederates, but no force larger than the remains of a company had failed to continue their futile resistance.

Davis had visited the site of the battle and was amazed by the bloody carnage in the fight between the two armies. Later, he had led a delegation of some of the more boisterous men in the senate out to show them that the “Damned shopkeepers” could fight every bit as hard as their Southern counterparts. He hoped it would help. The Southern man might be superior initially, merely through the fact of his having been shooting since he could walk in some cases, but they were far less amenable to taking orders, too individualistic for the discipline of an army life. Discipline problems were rife in the army as men who had never taken orders from anyone but their parents tried to adjust to a strictly regimented life. Eventually, those that couldn’t manage to adjust would be either killed or shuffled off into some other area, leaving only a hard core of tested veterans. Until that point though, the armies would continue to suffer from the effects of the lack of discipline.

Davis watched the burial details going about their work. The battle had taken place about 50 miles west of Petersburg. Johnson had occupied a small ridgeline with a sunken road running along the length. He occupied these positions with just a thousand men, while he the remaining portion of his group continued to push the Federals against the main line. The Union force, barely a hundred men by this time, had initially charged the top of the ridge and nearly broken through with their sheer desperation. Despite the small numbers involved, it had become a vicious hand to hand battle at the top of the ridge. The site would make a fine cemetery, the view was impressive, and the small copse of trees added a nice touch. He would have to see if funding could be secured to begin a military cemetery in the location. Davis had a feeling that soon there would be plenty more men to be interred there.

He heard the sound of a furiously galloping horse along the road. Turning, he saw a lieutenant sawing at the reigns to pull his horse up. Stopping, sides heaving, the horse had obviously been run into the ground, “Sir, why have you abused that animal so? Come down and let him rest before he falls over dead.”

The lieutenant jumped down and sketched a quick salute, “Sorry your Excellency, but I’ve just come from Richmond. The Yankees are moving. They’ve finally moved south and are less than a day’s march from our outer fortifications”

Davis hurried to the carriage and climbed in. They were finally moving, but might have waited too long. A few weeks ago, with all the forces south of the capital, there would have been few options for defense, now it was just a matter of getting the forces positioned. Would they be given enough time to move the troops into the defensive positions and hold the capital? The problems never stopped, but this at least was a simple one…merely a question of time and distance.

Actions:
Movement -
Well, the Union has made me look silly in the east. A couple of months ago, I had pushed up to the Potomac and was feeling good. Two months later, my capital is besieged, and I've lost everything north of it. Ouch.

To illustrate this, here is the eastern theater:

I'm trying to hustle Longstreet and Bushrod Johnson up to help out. The Union has more force than me, so I'm staying on the defensive. Once those forces arrive, I may try an offensive if nothing goes horribly wrong this turn.
I move Floyd toward Laredo since Fremont has pulled back to the southwest territories.
Weather has shut down most of the rest of my moves now. I would do some things, but the distances I'd have to march would end up with me wrecking my forces, so I'll hold off.

Purchases -
1 Elite infantry, 2 line infantry.
+30 rail, 10 riverine.
My next call for volunteers will be coming soon, and I need them desperately.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Resolution:
Natchez increases output of common goods (+25 general supply)
Meridian sets up a small armory (+7 ammo)
Jackson increases output of common goods (+20 general supply)
Raiders sink $8 and 4 WS
Blockade runners return $5 and 15 WS
USS Nahant sunk by coastal guns
CSA defeats USA in a battle in Richmond fortifications capturing 1,000 rifles

USA captures Strasburg depot
CSS Mississippi completed in New Orleans
Franklin Buchanan now active in Charlottesville, VA
P.G.T. Beauregard has been congratulated. Seniority: 3
Thomas J. Jackson has been congratulated and is now promotable
The Trent Affair fires. (+1 NM)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:03 pm

Turn 17 -
Story:
Davis sat and listened to the sound of distant cannon fire. Distant, yes, but still much too close considering he was sitting in his office in the Confederate White House. Moving to the window, he could see nothing, but the sound was there, and growing louder. He could see clouds in the direction of the battle. Too heavy to be smoke, it looked like a storm of a different kind was coming.

He forced himself to sit down at his desk and try to go through more paperwork. There was nothing he could do about the battle, and Beauregard had made him promise to stay away from the battle. Despite the promise, he desperately wanted to be out there, leading troops or commanding the army, rather than sitting here feeling helpless.

He had gotten a direct telegraph link to Beauregard's headquarters to try and keep track of the battle, and to ensure that if things went poorly, they would hopefully have time to leave the city ahead of the Yankees. There had been a bit of a scare earlier in the day when the line had gone ominously silent to any requests. It turned out that the line had merely been cut by a careless wagon moving up toward the front. The line was quickly repaired, and updates resumed. The Yankee army had initially began a push on the right side of the line, then just as Beauregard had given the order to shift the reserves to the hard pressed flank, the bluecoated lines had shifted their focus to the left. There had been no updates for nearly an hour now, and it seemed as if the fire was growing much louder. Was it coming closer, or was it just intensifying? The waiting was driving him crazy.

A few ambulances rumbled by on the street outside, heading toward the improvised medical facilities set up for the influx of casualties that would soon be overwhelming the hospitals. He got up to move toward the telegraph operator and was just about to have him send another request for information when the machine began to clatter. His hands clenched involuntarily as he waited for the message to be received. The room was silent aside from the noise of the machine as everyone waited breathlessly. The operator finished his work and turned toward Davis, “Sir, the Yankees are pulling back. Beauregard reports that heavy rains are preventing a counterattack at this time.”

While others in the room cheered, Davis felt no lessening of his tension. They had been pushed back today, but were still there, still threatening the city. He sat down in his chair and forced himself to relax. The room slowly cleared, and within a half hour a young captain from the HQ staff arrived to fill him in with some details of the battle before Beauregard could deliver a full report later. Apparently, after the Yankees had switched their attack to the left, Beauregard had gotten the reserves led by Jackson turned around and headed in that direction. Rather than directly reinforcing the defensive line, Jackson had led his force behind the hills flanking the defensive position and when the Yankees began pushing the Confederates back, had thrown his force into their flank, completely disrupting the attack and had been threatening to completely roll up the Yankee lines before the sudden storm had slowed his force and allowed the enemy to extricate themselves from the battle. Reinforcements would soon be arriving from the battles in the south, hopefully if the Yankees did not retreat, they would be sufficient to crush them.

The rest of the fronts were quiet, the weather having shut down most operations. Aside from the battle that had just concluded, the big news was that a Union steamer had stopped and boarded a British mail ship and seized ambassadors Mason and Slidell. More than the seizure of the men, the stopping of a British flagged ship had infuriated the British public and government. The incident had done more for the cause of intervention than nearly anything the ambassadors could have done if they arrived safely. The Northern public was hailing the ship's captain as a hero, which would make any repudiation that much harder for the government. Davis could only hope that the incident would motivate the European powers to recognize his country.

Actions:
Movement -
Beauregard, having been reinforced, will now go over onto the offensive
Jackson will be promoted
Floyd should capture Laredo this turn
CSS Mississippi will move up to Paducah where Buchanan was operated to take command of the river fleet this turn.
Winter has shut down all other offensive moves at the moment.

Purchases -
2 Line infantry and 1 cav replacement
+10 rail and 5 riverine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Resolution:
Small armory built in Natchez (+7 ammo)
Merchant raiders sink $7 and 4 WS
Blockade runners return $6 and 13 WS
CSA defeats USA in battle at Richmond

J. Palmer's Fleet finds Scouting Squadron #2 and hits 7 times, being hit twice in return
USA captures Milton, FL
CSA captured Laredo, TX (+5 supply carts, 10 crates of ammo)
CSA defeats USA in Louisa, VA

Blockade runner arrives (+1 WS, $5)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MrT
Colonel

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:05 pm

love the way you are writing this AAR, really a different perspective. May it continue on!

Dixicrat
General

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 pm

...So, when does the story continue?!

I like the way you write. Concise, well-structured, with great usage of drama. Bet you were sweatin' bullets when Athena invaded the Penisula! :D I like the "Southern" way you sometimes phrase things, too. And sometimes, some of what you've written just grabs ya: "Texas was a mess." How's that, folks, for a concise, accurate summary?!

Well done, Spharv2!
I think you've more than earned your medal from the queen. :)
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]
Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

Return to “American Civil War AARs”