Halberdier
Sergeant

Es posible un Mod del Mapa?

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:36 pm

Me gustaria saber si es posible crear un Mapa para hacer escenarios para la guerra de sucesion española y la guerra separatista americana en el Caribe y Costa firme.

Gracias!

PhilThib

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:07 am

We can help you with this mod if someone is doing the map bitmap and the different units and leaders pictures, as well as the scenarios... a LOT of work :nuts: :bonk:

Halberdier
Sergeant

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:04 pm

Thank you Phil for your response! to give a serious answer I need a little time to call for a help :sourcil: .

Historic campaigns in the Caribean:
-British-Spanish wars of succesion (Jenkins war 1739-1742) ,
-Revolution of spanish colonies 1810-1826 (yellow area),
-Cuban-Hispano-american war of 1898,

Pocus

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:11 pm

There is always the possibility to start without actual graphics, but only with the boundaries defined in the map making utility that we use internally (and each terrain being painted by the code with a color that can be redefined). No artistic skill here, just patience and motivation...

for a quick test, modify this key in boa (boa\settings\general.opt)

UseTexOnly = 1

to see BOA without graphics for terrains

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Halberdier
Sergeant

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:38 pm

Perfect!, Thanks Pocus see it :8o: . I make question tomorrow about to give colors to the sea and rivers if it could be possible and most important is how defined the boundaries in the map... to create a new map!

Halberdier
Sergeant

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:58 pm

well, I can use the map without graphics.

Please tell me what size of Bitmap do you need?.
I must to paint the boundaries in the Bitmap?
Can I make the boundaries or is not possible without a program?

Pocus

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:50 pm

The color keys can be changed, I will need to tweak a little things on my side, but no problem.

Size of map: to keep the 512 Mb computers alive without too much smoke, I would say at most 10.000 x 10.000 pixels (there is a caching system rotating unused bitmaps out of memory, but a cache can only work if it success far often than not).

Boundaries: You must draw by hand on your giant bitmap the boundaries, and then in the end you will need our special mapmaker software to define logically the regions, but you have quite some work before reaching this stage :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:55 pm

The question is first and foremost to select the right size of the theater of operations you want to cover. If you take a map scale equivalent to that of BOA, our original bitmap is 8000 pixels wide for 9000 height, which is a big map...

Yours, based on the previous map sketch you showed, could be something like 9000 width to 8000 height (reverse to BOA)

My advice is first you do a map sketch in Illustrator format (any size, it can be resized easily later on), with all regions names, info on terrain types, cities, borders, etc...

From this sketch a model can be done, and once there, we shall provide you later on with the specific tool we used to "cut" the map into the components needed for the engine

A lot of work to do first... good luck :nuts:

Halberdier
Sergeant

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:16 pm

The Hispanoamerican revolution have their own particularities as it was fought for little armies (10,000 man or less) in short battles (except sieges), but in a extremely large campaigns (months) to move this little armies along the extension of inhabited territories.

Very different from Europe where napoleonics wars was fought with very large armies (from 100,000 mans or more ) in short period of time and less territory with a lot of population.

For this reason I have another question: is possible to make a Turns of 60 days?

Thank you very much for your attention and your words. I will make some models of Maps to send you in association with a text schematic to explain the campaigns and then you tell me something about what you see better. One thing is true : it could be the first computer wargame about this theme.

The unique game resource that I know about this theme is Liberators!. Mainly for a classical wargame with figures at tactical level . But I think that a game like BOA can cover this period of time as a BIG PICTURE of the war.

British Legion
Bolivar's army

PhilThib

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:19 pm

No problem for turn structures, we can set whatever length we want... :coeurs:

Halberdier
Sergeant

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:34 pm

Here a basis for a mod for BOA :

In this basis there are 150 "main" cities but ¿How many PROVINCES is needed for the game at least?

PhilThib

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:11 pm

BOA has 800+ provinces. Yours should have the same at least (due to turn scale = 2 months)

Halberdier
Sergeant

Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:01 pm

OK. I have more questions:

Here a Historic map of "CARACAS" of "THE REPUBLIC OF GREAT COLOMBIA" that have many territories, more territories than the "VICEROYALTY" is divided before.

I want that you take a look the specific territory in blue called "Calabozo":

-it is big territory.
-it have 3 main cities (IN BLUE) : "Calazobo", "Sombrero", "Calvario".
-You can see six main historic battles (IN RED)

Questions:

-The Viceroyalty have inespecifics maps. Can I use EARLY Republican maps?
-Can I divided the historic "administrative territory" in more "GAME territory". For example: Calabozo was a important key for the battles, but only have 1 territory. Can I make not historic: for example territories for the main cities? Calabozo,Sombrero,Calvario.
-by the SIZE , Can I send you the MAP in white-black in a GIF format?

thanks

PhilThib

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:04 pm

-The Viceroyalty have inespecifics maps. Can I use EARLY Republican maps? ==> yes

-Can I divided the historic "administrative territory" in more "GAME territory". For example: Calabozo was a important key for the battles, but only have 1 territory. Can I make not historic: for example territories for the main cities? Calabozo,Sombrero,Calvario. ==> yes of course (the important point ot have provinces of homogeneous size for movement purposes)

-by the SIZE , Can I send you the MAP in white-black in a GIF format? ==> yes (or we can use ftp later on when you have bigger maps to exchange)

Trick: you may use a Illustrator format map (vectorial): we can easily adjust the sizes later on...

Halberdier
Sergeant

Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:22 pm

Here a mini-picture with an example of historic map of 1820 with the names of territories. In the next step I must to make the boundaries and put the type of terrain.

PhilThib

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:43 pm

I can't barely read it :8o:

Halberdier
Sergeant

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:05 pm

PhilThib it was at 50 % , here the picture at 100%.

I must to finish all the continental map with the boundaries and put the type of terrain in it.

PhilThib

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:26 pm

This is fine... complete the whole map DB and send it to us :coeurs:

Halberdier
Sergeant

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:56 pm

Here the map of provinces for south american war of independence

Phil, I finish with historic provinces. Give me an e-mail to send you.

1-For not explored or inhabited territories in XIXs: do you think that it is correct add and use the name of Provinces of modern countries to complete the 800 provinces?. Tell me to add some provinces.

2- In the west coast of the picture you can see the mountain range called "Andes" that is very difficult or impossible to cross (expect in some strategic provinces).

PhilThib

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:21 pm

Send stuff to my attention at contact@ageod.com

Halberdier
Sergeant

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:48 pm

Phil, I recive your mail. OK I go for it.

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”