Skoberlink
Civilian

AACW in Vista no compatible Direct3D device

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:10 am

Hey guys I'm trying to get this game up and running for my dad. He said it installed fine (although after several unsuccessful attempts at fixing this problem I reinstalled) but when we try to run it we get an error "No compatible Direct3D devices", then a message that the program will exit, which it does.

I have downloaded and placed the d3drm.dll file into the game folder and the system32 folder and rebooted. Unfortunately that didn't help. I have also made sure that DirectX is updated. As I said I have reinstalled the game. I have the game running as administrator and have tried running it in XP compatibility mode (the actual OS is Vista). I have tried updating the game to the most recent patch. I know for certain that I have compatible devices and I am well over the recommended system requirements. I believe my video card drivers are up to date but I'll double check after posting. I forgot to check that before I started this post.

On the loading screen, the AGE logo comes and goes. I'm not sure if this is random or has something to do with the settings I change between attempts to run it.

Appreciate any help you can give!

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:30 am

deleted

Pocus

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:57 am

Please send us your DxDiag file at support: [email="support@ageod.com"]support@ageod.com[/email]
Be sure to link this thread in your mail.

Vista should come with a legacy DirectX installation that allows the (still) numerous Dx9 games to run. This is rather weird in your case, as many Vista players have the game.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lodilefty

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Pocus wrote:Please send us your DxDiag file at support: [email="support@ageod.com"]support@ageod.com[/email]
Be sure to link this thread in your mail.

Vista should come with a legacy DirectX installation that allows the (still) numerous Dx9 games to run. This is rather weird in your case, as many Vista players have the game.

To have the games run [WIA, AACW] I had to install DirectX 9 from the MicroSoft website, not just the single file noted. Vista's 'Dx9 compatibility' is not very compatible....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:40 pm

deleted

Pocus

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:49 pm

what do you expect from such a tiny company with so few resources? ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

markorvan
Conscript

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:53 am

Hi all

markorvan
Conscript

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:53 am

Skoberlink wrote:Hey guys I'm trying to get this game up and running for my dad. He said it installed fine (although after several unsuccessful attempts at fixing this problem I reinstalled) but when we try to run it we get an error "No compatible Direct3D devices", then a message that the program will exit, which it does.

I have downloaded and placed the d3drm.dll file into the game folder and the system32 folder and rebooted. Unfortunately that didn't help.

So maybe you didn't put it on right place or maybe you should fix the existence dll file to run the process. I recommend the next tool which helped me and maybe could help you:http://fix4dll.com/d3drm_dll

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”