Jarkko
Colonel

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:31 pm

Clovis wrote:Pure speculation as never the chance of a foreign reconnaissance of the Confederacy were sio high than during the Lee's invasion of the maryland in 1862 before Antetiam...

In fact, the interest in autumn 62 was so high because Stonewall had successfuly repelled Union forces at 2nd Bull Run. It did then appear South was indeed able to *defend* it self.

Well anyway, this has again gone far enough off-topic I think. I think I can agree with Clovis (if he sees it fit to agree with me) that we disagree on quite a few things :)

Happy New Year to everyone!
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

arsan

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:29 pm

Jarkko
Quatrill action was exceptional. In fact i won't consider it a proper "ACW raid".
It was more a bloody climax of the Bushwakers/jayhawks fights that plagued Missouri, Kansas and surrounding areas.
The raids you can do on AACW /that serve to destroy rails, depots, small garrisons and the like) are the kidn of raids made by men like Stuart, Morgan, Forrest, Wheeler and the like. Or Grierson for the USA
Back then they were considered adventurous exploits that gave fame to the CSA as Lee and the ANV victories did.
Thinking that these actions could be regarded by France or UK as war crimes seems ridiculous to me, honestly. :)

Syt
Colonel

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:17 pm

Holy Civil War Hijack! :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.
- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

Gray_Lensman

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:41 pm

deleted

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Daring to go back on topic...

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:59 am

I just recently purchased Rome with the VV expansion and I think it is an improvement over EU3 (using the same engine, yes?). The addition of the senate and characters adds a level of interest that seems to be missing in EU3.

With regard to HOI2, I think the modded versions are relatively good. However I think the engine could be improved.

I'd have to say that AGEOD gets the balance right, there is too much micromanagement in the Paradox games. This can detract from the enjoyment,and I agree it does start to feel more like accounting than wargaming.

I'd like to see AGEOD try its hand at 4X type game, I reckon they could do a damn good job.

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:54 am

deleted

Aurelin
Colonel

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:46 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:You lost me with the acronym! What does 4X mean?

Explore, expand, exploit, exterminate. First used in a review of Microprose's Master of Orion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X_games

runyan99

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:46 am

Exploration, exploitation, expansion, something. General name of Master of Orion, maybe Civilization type games.

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:29 am

deleted

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Yep, sorry to use the acronym without definition.

Do you think AGEOD is interested in this type of gaming?

I would really enjoy seeing the AGEOD AI (Athena) and the current games opened up to this type of play.

However, I must admit I'm just as enamoured with the artistic aspects and interface of BOA and AACW as the AI.

Cheers,

Aurelin
Colonel

Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:20 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Ah, yes, Speaking of which... Wasn't it a shame that they so totally ruined the Master of Orion franchise with the 3rd release? Another example of trying to do too much in a game. It literally died from it's own weight!

Yes it was. So looked forward to it. So disappointed........

Pocus

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:37 am

Dunhill_BKK wrote:Yep, sorry to use the acronym without definition.

Do you think AGEOD is interested in this type of gaming?

I would really enjoy seeing the AGEOD AI (Athena) and the current games opened up to this type of play.

However, I must admit I'm just as enamoured with the artistic aspects and interface of BOA and AACW as the AI.

Cheers,

4x? Definitively interested. But we build our edifice stone by stone. A 4x need quite a lot of work, and VGN will be a stepping stone in this direction.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Sounds good. I'm willing to wait for good work. I don't have enough time to play the games I've already got.

Cheers,

Return to “General discussions”