dougbush93
Captain

Endless Repeating Events??

Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:18 am

In my ongoing campaign game (playing the CP using 1.0.5c), I am able to play several events ("Supp Munitions", "Blockade Runners", and "Technology") over and over each turn. The AI is doing the same, playing "rolling barrage", "initiative bonus", and one other event. For some reason, the game recreating them each turn in both my and the AI's event hands. Anyone else experience this?

While very handy, this is not how events work in the boardgame, and depending on the event can unbalance the game. In the boardgame, most events are set aside when played until one side or the other draws the "remix" event, which puts all events back in the event pool. A small number of events go back in the pool as soon as they are played ("torpedoing" is one). Definitely needs to be fixed.

Doug

bjfagan
General of the Army

Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 am

Yes, I have noticed these recurring events in my games. Of course this doesn't happen to my extra munitions events when I play them. :(

I also get many events that belong to the opposing player. Now, I assume this is to simulate drawing from a pool of event cards that belong to all players.

This is fine, but it would be nice if there were clear indications as to whom the events benefit. Some clearly state who will benefit, but others are vague and leave a player wondering if the event was just "historically" used by one side as described, but could in fact be used by any side in the game.

Ayeshteni
Captain

Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:09 am

bjfagan wrote:I also get many events that belong to the opposing player. Now, I assume this is to simulate drawing from a pool of event cards that belong to all players.

This is fine, but it would be nice if there were clear indications as to whom the events benefit. Some clearly state who will benefit, but others are vague and leave a player wondering if the event was just "historically" used by one side as described, but could in fact be used by any side in the game.

I agree with this. It is very confusing.

Ayeshteni
"You, O English, who have no right to this Kingdom of France, the King of Heaven orders and commands you through me, Joan the Maid, to leave your fortress and return to your country, and if you do not, so I shall make an uproar that will be perpetually remembered! Behold that I write to you for the third and final time: I shall write to you no further." - Jehanne d'Arc, Orleans 1428

vonRocko
Colonel

Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:24 am

I've had this with a couple events,and the AI keeps playing the initiative event,and gets the first moves every turn!

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:01 am

There is a need to tidy up the events in the game. I have experience all those items mentioned aboved myself. I thought it might have just been when restarting a game, but it is not only then.

The immediat repeating of the events is an irritaing feature. I would like to think it is a bug. I will sometimes get the same notification 3 times in a row.

I have gone through the message filter and stopped most of the messages-and there still is plenty coming through.

Sean E
Captain

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:29 am

Yes there is definitely something broken with the events.
In my game the AI has been playing “Major technological advantage”, “National Will bonus” and “Rolling barrage bonus” every turn since game start! That’s over one year of game play.

Then last turn I had played all my events and only had 4-5 left. Next thing I have a full hand of events again.

Thats 12 event cards that came from nowhere? Magic?

abulbulian
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:49 am

Same thing for me. Seems to be a bug. I get all those mentioned and the NW bonus keeps occurring for me as well. Like the card is being played each time after the initial event phase I played it.

Chertio
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:21 pm

It would be helpful too, to state in the event description how many turns an event applies for when there is a limit. Also the earliest date the event can be played (eg "Laffargue" - does the date given in the event actually apply?), or what conditions are needed to play the event (eg "Lenin", "Mutinies").

Should events like "Bruchmuller" and "Fokker" only be playable when their historical counterparts appeared on the scene?

And I've noticed that perpetual events like "Squalls" and "Navy Code Breaking" reappear in my hand once played, I think every interphase***.

*** Edit: I see the point of this, so the navy can change stance aggressive/defensive each interphase.

dougbush93
Captain

Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:53 pm

Chertio wrote:It would be helpful too, to state in the event description how many turns an event applies for when there is a limit. Also the earliest date the event can be played (eg "Laffargue" - does the date given in the event actually apply?), or what conditions are needed to play the event (eg "Lenin", "Mutinies").

Should events like "Bruchmuller" and "Fokker" only be playable when their historical counterparts appeared on the scene?

And I've noticed that perpetual events like "Squalls" and "Navy Code Breaking" reappear in my hand once played, I think every interphase.

In the boardgame, there are conditions on the events, usually a date window they can be played in, or another event that triggers when they can be used. If those are coded in the computer game, they could explain them in the yet-to-be published manual.

Doug

Sheytan
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:20 pm

Sadly ive shelved the game once again precisely because of this problem. Investing the time to run a campaign to conclusion isnt in the cards because of this problem. I hate to say it but as a number of others have said, this game was not even close to being ready for release.

I salute the effort that has gone into patching, but this is not acceptable. I hope any future releases from AGEOD are much much more polished then WW1 or frankly I will not look to buy more games from AGEOD.

dougbush93
Captain

Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:52 am

I would have to agree. One wonders if anyone at AGEOD even tried to play the CG all the way through one time before the game was released? Once they get these things that need obvious fixes out of the way the game will be a gem, but they aren't there yet.

Syt
Colonel

Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:51 am

dougbush93 wrote:In the boardgame, there are conditions on the events, usually a date window they can be played in, or another event that triggers when they can be used. If those are coded in the computer game, they could explain them in the yet-to-be published manual.

Doug

Better yet, they could show up in the tooltip for the event and in the event card's text when you get to choose events.

As it is now I often have events where the tool tip says that I can't play them because the conditions aren't met. Fine, but what the hell are the conditions?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.
- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

Syt
Colonel

Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:54 am

Additionally, it would be nice to have a button or soemthing that displays currently active events (esp. those that last longer than one turn).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.

- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

Chertio
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:05 am

As well as Events, "News" events and tech telegrams repeat each turn.

So as CP I have an American passenger ship being torpedoed every turn (no submarine warfare chosen for CP from the politics choice and no events being played by the Entente).

Also the "X has adopted Y technology for the first time" telegrams repeat every turn, by late 1915 I have several such messages each turn - but not for all the technologies that have been researched.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

WWI - Vacation?

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:12 am

Guys: I know how frustrating this game can be. But, Please, Please, wait until Calvinus gets back from Vacation!! :thumbsup:

Chertio
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:15 am

Another "news" events question - soon after Turkey joins the CP, and apparently inevitably, the newspaper announces that Enver Pasha demands two Grand Offensives per year from the Turks.

But it looks to me that they can only do one Offensive per year, so they necessarily pay the National Will penalty for failing.

Doesn't seem fair to demand two Offensives from such a poor country anyway - why not the Kaiser demanding six from Germany, etc?

Chertio
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:20 am

tagwyn wrote:Guys: I know how frustrating this game can be. But, Please, Please, wait until Calvinus gets back from Vacation!! :thumbsup:

I'm not frustrated - I'm just noting these things while I remember them, they are not showstoppers I think.

Nothing worse :p leure: :p leure: than getting back from holiday to find an overflowing in-tray, sorry Calvinus :coeurs:

Tamas

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:38 am

Chertio wrote:Another "news" events question - soon after Turkey joins the CP, and apparently inevitably, the newspaper announces that Enver Pasha demands two Grand Offensives per year from the Turks.

But it looks to me that they can only do one Offensive per year, so they necessarily pay the National Will penalty for failing.

Doesn't seem fair to demand two Offensives from such a poor country anyway - why not the Kaiser demanding six from Germany, etc?

Those are simple attacks, IIRC, not grand offensives.

calvinus

Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Chertio wrote:As well as Events, "News" events and tech telegrams repeat each turn.

So as CP I have an American passenger ship being torpedoed every turn (no submarine warfare chosen for CP from the politics choice and no events being played by the Entente).

Also the "X has adopted Y technology for the first time" telegrams repeat every turn, by late 1915 I have several such messages each turn - but not for all the technologies that have been researched.

Don't worry. This bug is already scheduled for fix! ;)

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”