Guz
Private

An American Classic!

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:55 am

A lot of great recipes have been submitted and I am definatly going to try them all! However for a quick meal that can't be beat it has to be the tried and true Chili Dog! The great thing is you can take this dish (hehe) from simplicity to gourmet with a minimum amount of effort. Heres how we do it:

Hot dogs...We broil them so they are slightly blackened on the skin. Buy your favorite brand. I honestly dont care :)

The Chili....I prefer Bush's Chili with Beans. The beauty of chili is there are a thousand varieties and in fact most americans have their own recipe! Its all good! Simply pour chili over your dogs (on buns or not) My wife makes a great texas chili as well.

Thats your basic recipe for the 10 minute meal.

Want to make it special?

add these toppings:

grated cheese (we like cheddar)
diced onions
Fritos corn chips (I prefer the chili cheese variety) The crunchiness adds a great dimension to the overall experience! My wife turned me on to it and now I gotta have it!!

Gourmet edition:

mushrooms (sauteed or raw..your choice)
Bell Peppers
any cheese other then cheddar
Garlic (try it)
Tomato
Hot Sauce (pick your fire...err...flavor...)

The great thing is whatever you add you can't go wrong!

Ok not a "gourmet" item BUT......Damn it's good!

And whatever you do DONT open that bottle of wine....Ya gotta have an ice cold beer!

Bon Appetite! :D

tristanj
Civilian

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:06 am

I'd like to share my Mango Float recipe for other members to try out. This is really easy and it's one of the refrigerator cakes that does not require some oven baking.

Nutty Mango Float

Ingredients:
2 ripe mangoes, chopped
1 cup condensed milk of your choice
1 cup all purpose cream of your choice
1 pack of crushed Chocolate or Honey Graham crackers
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup toasted almonds (or any nuts of your choice)

Procedure:
1. Mix the condensed milk and all-purpose cream in a bowl throroughly until well-blended.
2. Drop a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract on the cream mixture and mix well.
3. In a baking glass pan, put crushed Graham crackers on the bottom of the pan and flatten the crushed particles.
4. Put the cream mixture as a second layer for the Graham crackers
5. Sprinkle some toasted almonds and chopped mangoes on top of the cream mixture.
6. Repeat the process of layering the pan with #3, #4 and #5 until it reached the top layer.
7. Refrigerate the float for 4-6 hours.
Enjoy!
"Make the best of it, turn it into a positive... it will be better for all involved in the long run."
[SIZE="1"]Toys Compass[/size]

Hobbes

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi folks, I thought I would briefly resurrect this thread (it was that long ago :blink :) for any students or budding cooks out there that would like to try a few fairly simple dishes. I collected the recipes I have been making or intend to make over the past few years into one document this week (attached). Formatting may be a bit off now I have switched to Open Office.

Cheers,
Chris
Attachments
RatcliffesRecipes.zip
(30.6 KiB) Downloaded 423 times

Pocus

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:30 am

They appear quite yummy! :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:56 pm

Delete.
Last edited by Baris on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbes

Re: The Recipe Thread

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Hobbes wrote:Hi folks, I thought as we have people from around the world here it might be a good chance to share simple food recipes (yeah I know a bit odd but what the hell).

I wish I had known this at 20 :-

Hobbes Chicken.

Roll some good chicken legs (free range/corn fed) in flour with some salt and pepper.
Fry for a few minutes on each side with some butter and vegetable oil, adding some mushrooms,
bacon pieces (lardons), a little crushed garlic and onion.
Add a pint or so of water (beer or wine also if you feel like it).
Put on a lid and simmer for 40 minutes turning the chicken occasionally.
After 35 minutes boil some peas and onions.
Then chuck them in the chicken pan for a few minutes and serve (fresh crusty bread goes well).

This must be the wierdest post I have ever made. I would love to see some simple recipes from around the world - I will certainly try them!

Here is an random picture of the American Civil War to give the thread some validity :-

Chris

The wierdest thing is that you are not using any stock. And why boil the peas and onions separately? In fact the thing you would have most liked to know in your 20s was how to deglaze a pan. You get a nice sauce and less washing up.
P.S. roast the chicken to get a nice crispy skin and just add the rest underneath it when done you moron.

Pocus

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 am

Stop disagreeing with your former self! :laugh:

Hobbes

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Philippe, being French I assume you can improve some part of this recipe? Or do you accept that English cuisine has improved since the 70's? (although I suppose this is really in the main a French recipe). One attempts to keep the thread alive on occasion. Any new recipes that anyone would like to share? I wonder what might have changed since the first post was made?

Cheers,
Chris

Pocus

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:50 pm

I don't know about English cuisine. I used to mock you (common you) by speaking of mint jelly and boiled beef. And I thought you moved to edible food.

And then the 19 years son of my ladyfriend went to a family for a month in the UK. The jelly was not mint flavored, but translucent white. The meat, non descript... :blink:

As for a recipe, my mother used to make me* a 'Soufflet au Fromage' which was both simple to make and excellent. I would need to find the recipe before writing it here. Perhaps a photo of me doing the recipe even (or the soufflet, more interesting than Pocus in the kitchen!) :)

* She passed away 9 months ago.

Hobbes

Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi Philippe, sorry to hear of your mothers passing. I missed this reply. Please post the recipe if you can. 'Soufflet au Fromage' sounds interesting and something I have never tried. I will certainly give it a go if you share the recipe and drink a glass of wine with a toast to your mum.

UK food has improved a lot over the last 20 years or so. But I'm sure there are still exceptions :)

Cheers,
Chris

Pocus

Tue May 28, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks for the kind words.

I need to try it before I forget entirely the recipe! And then yes I'll send you or post a photo of it. It is an excellent, rather healthy easy recipe to make.

As for clichés, the son of my ladyfriend spent a month in England within a family and ... it was cliché-esque. A kind of white jelly added as gravy with non nondescript meat has been one of the staple food he got...

But I'm sure you do better! How about posting a photo of some cooking of your?

DavidJo23
Civilian

Sun May 16, 2021 1:32 pm

I enjoy preparing coffee at home. This is my favorite Indian coffee recipe. Indian Espresso Coffee made without an espresso machine.
Ingredients:
Instant Coffee Powder - 1 tbsp.
Granulated Sugar - 2 tbsp. (alter according to your taste)
Milk - 1 cup (240 ml)
Water - 1 tsp.
Cocoa Powder - To sprinkle on top (optional)

Instructions
In a coffee mug, put instant coffee powder and sugar. Add 1 tsp. water and mix.
With a spoon, start beating the mix vigorously. You have to incorporate as much air as you can. That will give you the whipped frothy coffee-sugar mix. The more you beat, the mix will become pale in color. Make sure your mix is whipped and creamy enough.
Heat a cup of milk and pour it over the whipped coffee-sugar paste. Stir. Sprinkle cocoa powder and serve immediately.
Of, course who have a moka pot - it would be easier to prepare.

Notes:
To make more than 1 cup, prepare the coffee-sugar paste in a bowl. Divide the pasta equally into each coffee mug and pour hot milk. Stir and serve.

Hobbes

Sat May 22, 2021 10:46 pm

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread David - especially with a very interesting idea. I will try this tomorrow.

Cheers,
Chris

Pocus

Mon May 24, 2021 8:22 am

Has anyone some easy-to-do recipes for main courses? Preferably without meat (fish allowed)? I need to renew my book a bit and my significant other starts to see too often the same meals.

Hobbes

Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:09 pm

Hobbes wrote:
Hobbes wrote:Hi folks, I thought as we have people from around the world here it might be a good chance to share simple food recipes (yeah I know a bit odd but what the hell).

I wish I had known this at 20 :-

Hobbes Chicken.

Roll some good chicken legs (free range/corn fed) in flour with some salt and pepper.
Fry for a few minutes on each side with some butter and vegetable oil, adding some mushrooms,
bacon pieces (lardons), a little crushed garlic and onion.
Add a pint or so of water (beer or wine also if you feel like it).
Put on a lid and simmer for 40 minutes turning the chicken occasionally.
After 35 minutes boil some peas and onions.
Then chuck them in the chicken pan for a few minutes and serve (fresh crusty bread goes well).

This must be the wierdest post I have ever made. I would love to see some simple recipes from around the world - I will certainly try them!

Here is an random picture of the American Civil War to give the thread some validity :-

Chris

The wierdest thing is that you are not using any stock. And why boil the peas and onions separately? In fact the thing you would have most liked to know in your 20s was how to deglaze a pan. You get a nice sauce and less washing up.
P.S. roast the chicken to get a nice crispy skin and just add the rest underneath it when done you moron.

I can't resist after coming across this again.

Forget the peas and onions. Glaze some carrots in the oven and boil broccoli. Buy ready roasted chicken thighs and roast them again for half an hour on a high heat. Make a jus. It sounds poncy but saves messing around with flour. Stock, redcurrant jelly, a splash of soy and a bay leaf. Reduce but not so much it gets sticky. Stuffing and pigs in blankets are a must. Potatoes of choice.

Learn how to spell weirdest you idiot!

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:40 pm

Time for another WIA scenario? Please.

Anyway, I've just air fried some chips in my Christmas present air frier.

Best wishes to all.

Return to “General discussions”