Mynok
Private

Divisions

Thu May 15, 2008 3:18 am

Coming to the end of my first full campaign as the CSA. The most painfully restrictive thing is the minimal number of divisions I'm allowed: 30. Any way to increase this? It really hinders one's ability to have more than two real armies.

Corollary to that, I have any number of leaders who are marked promotable, yet cannot be promoted, even when unattached to any unit.
:grr:

Jabberwock

Thu May 15, 2008 3:25 am

Promotable should be read as potentially promotable. They still have to earn a promotion through battlefield victories.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Mynok
Private

How do I see this?

Thu May 15, 2008 3:40 am

What rating will tell me a leader can actually be promoted?

Jabberwock

Thu May 15, 2008 4:28 am

Once a leader is four or more points of seniority above his original database seniority, he becomes promotable. Note than when using randomization, actual seniority (not database seniority) is randomized, so it may be possible to promote some leaders as soon as they appear.

His NATO symbol will pulse in the unit panel. He will be highlighted in red in the roster. Under the second tab of the special orders panel, the promote button icon will change from grayed-out to blue and gold.

Mynok
Private

Thu May 15, 2008 4:36 am

Ah...so a high seniority guy will likely never be promoted. Interesting.

And I'm still stuck with just 30 divisions.
:fleb:

Jabberwock

Thu May 15, 2008 6:04 am

Sorry - I forgot, anyone with seniority of 1 or 2 can be promoted. I can get back to you with how to mod the division cap later.

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 15, 2008 8:17 am

Jabberwock wrote:Promotable should be read as potentially promotable.

This had me puzzled to no end in the beginning as well. It's one of a handful of cases of rather ambiguous wording in the game that makes it unnecessarily hard to figure out for newbies how things really work. Other cases are the interchangeable use of "conscription point" and "conscript company" or of "general supply point" and "supply wagon", or the overlapping terms of militia / conscript / volunteer / regular etc. that mean quite different things depending on their context (recruiting, model, training, experience). There are others that I cannot recall off the cuff. But I often thought that maybe a veteran player (who is certain he understands the concepts) and a newbie (who is still prone to wonder), both English native speakers, should combine to clear up the manual, game menu and tool tip language to achive a uniform and unambiguous use of terms. A veteran will of course say that's unnecessary ... but newbies might be grateful, the game would become easier to learn, and thus (even) more popular. :)

Just my 3 cents. :innocent:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Rafiki

Thu May 15, 2008 8:37 am

Welcome to the forums, Mynok :)

Note that you'll also be notified in the message log when a leader becomes promotable.

As for divisions, it's possible to change the gamefiles to increase the limit.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

bk6583
Lieutenant

Thu May 15, 2008 12:36 pm

As for divisions, it's possible to change the gamefiles to increase the limit.[/QUOTE]

Please do tell us how. I've tried going in to save game and settings files but unfortunately because of my lack of computer skills it frequently looks like hieroglyphics.

Clovis

Thu May 15, 2008 12:46 pm

bk6583 wrote:As for divisions, it's possible to change the gamefiles to increase the limit.

Please do tell us how. I've tried going in to save game and settings files but unfortunately because of my lack of computer skills it frequently looks like hieroglyphics.[/quote]

open scenario folder; open the file named like the scenario you're playing. Serach for the string:

SetCombiUnits

The last number is the max division number allowed, by example 24

SetCombiUnits = 0;0;24

Change that.

Save

Start a new game

Then go back there, search the thread about the maximum number division ans read why some ( like me) consider too much divisions to be bad :niark:
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Pocus

Thu May 15, 2008 1:14 pm

This won't work, Setcombiunits is a script command, which is used to produce the scenario. Once done, the scenario don't have that, but only the numeric entry, which is the 27th string data for the faction. You should see something like that:

0|0|48

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Rafiki

Thu May 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Perhaps it could be tweaked so that there is no limit, but as the number of divisions rises, the cost of creating new ones increases?

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Pocus

Thu May 15, 2008 2:14 pm

it certainly could :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

tyrex
Colonel

Thu May 15, 2008 2:19 pm

So get all ready for a new 1.11 patch :mdr:

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Rafiki wrote:Perhaps it could be tweaked so that there is no limit, but as the number of divisions rises, the cost of creating new ones increases?

What would be the justification? :confused:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Pocus

Thu May 15, 2008 4:01 pm

tyrex wrote:So get all ready for a new 1.11 patch :mdr:

I meant, theoretically, it can be done. Now I don't feel it is a priority. :nuts:

Mynok
Private

Thu May 15, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to go find that other thread.

Clovis

Thu May 15, 2008 5:49 pm

OOPS...I was thinking of change by event and not change at start. My bad.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

GShock

Thu May 15, 2008 6:40 pm

What if = no limits.
History = full historical limitations.

/me updates cell phone ringtones

Girlfriend = Liza Jane_x2
Mother = Dixie's Land
Boss = Mississipi Sawyer_x2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Jabberwock

Thu May 15, 2008 7:44 pm

A small mod to effectively remove the division cap, by setting the cap to 90 divisions for both sides. Just extract into the game folder. Any problems, let me know.

Modified files:

EarlyForcePool.inc
90CSA_Division.uni
300USA_Division.uni
Attachments
ACW.zip
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 253 times

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 15, 2008 9:53 pm

jabber: Thanks for the info on promotions; had been frustrating me also. :p apy:

Rafiki

Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:What would be the justification? :confused:

Increasing administrative costs from maintaining a large number of large formations?

Truth be told, I don't really know. I was thinking of this from a purely gameplay-perspective since I figured it would present the player with an interesting choice along the lines of "Is my 50th division really worth the cost? or should I use the 49 I already have in a better way?"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Rafiki wrote:Increasing administrative costs from maintaining a large number of large formations?"

But the cost would be proportional to the number of divisions ... why would it increase, per division, with their number? :innocent:

Rafiki

Thu May 15, 2008 10:13 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:But the cost would be proportional to the number of divisions ... why would it increase, per division, with their number? :innocent:

Truth be told I don't really know; the suggestion was gameplay-motivated :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Rafiki wrote:Truth be told I don't really know; the suggestion was gameplay-motivated :)

Gotcha. Must be the historian in me. :D

Rafiki

Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Gotcha. Must be the historian in me. :D

Yeah, you historians can be such pains-in-the-lower-back; just too bad you outnumber the rest of us to such a degree around here :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Thu May 15, 2008 11:01 pm

More divisions - drool!!!! I could have one Army to invade Mexico. Another Army to invade Canada. 2 Armies just to play about with the Feds. Might even give Jackson an Army. A Confederate Empire then I could attack the Brits/French whilst I am about it?
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Mynok
Private

Thu May 15, 2008 11:07 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:But the cost would be proportional to the number of divisions ... why would it increase, per division, with their number? :innocent:

That would be my thoughts as well. How to determine what that is might be difficult. It used to be the cost of the Div HQ unit correct? Why not make it that cost again without actually creating a Div HQ unit?

MkollCSA
Corporal

Fri May 16, 2008 12:36 am

then again the reason for the division ban is to simulate the south's inability to must as many troops as the Union....thus if your looking for the historical way to go you should leave it as is...you can always have ad hoc divisions running around....or just replace beaten unit with the fresh one's...there are many ways to play it out

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 16, 2008 3:02 am

MkollCSA wrote:then again the reason for the division ban is to simulate the south's inability to must as many troops as the Union....thus if your looking for the historical way to go you should leave it as is...you can always have ad hoc divisions running around....or just replace beaten unit with the fresh one's...there are many ways to play it out

The way to simulate the rebel's inability to muster as many troops as the Federals is to decrease their conscription pts. A division cap will not do this.

If you can still recruit brigades and regiments why should you not be able to form them into divisions?
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”