jeff b
Corporal

Depots and Supply

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:51 pm

I thought that to get supply to a location all you need was a depot connected by either another depot, rail, or naval. I have captured Georgetown SC, built a depot there, but I have noticed that it is not gathering supply, and that my units there are losing supply.

What do you need to do to get supply by sea? I thought that as long as you had enough sea transport points it would happen automatically, but obviously that isn't what happens.
Currently playing American Civil War.

Rafiki

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:48 am

[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

jeff b
Corporal

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Unfortunately, NO. Here is what wiki says:

"Effects of ocean transport
Supply by sea is quite different form the above, and takes place in its own phase. Your capacity will be 10 times the transport capacity you have in the Atlantic shipping box. Supply will be moved from ports with lots to ports or coastal depots (even without ports) that don't have that much. Range is generally not an issue for supply distributed in this manner. "

I read that paragraph to indcate that I should be getting supply in Georgetown SC, but was not.

Rafiki

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:32 pm

Are you playing as the Union? Are there any enemy stacks that might be interfering?

I'm not familiar with the exact mechanics for ocean supply transportation, so I can't provide any answers or even good suggestions :)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

jeff b
Corporal

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:08 am

yes I am the Union, and no, No enemy stacks near by. I have pushed the enemy back. If I park a transport there I seem to be gathering supply.

Pocus

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:57 pm

What is your transport capacity?
How much troops do you have sucking up supply in the vicinity of the depot?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jeff b
Corporal

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:16 am

According to the indicator at the top of the screen my sea transport is in the category 3/3 range. I have more men there now since I originally posted up, but it is about 15,000 men.

Rafiki

Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:36 am

15000 is a sizeable force, especially if the supply influx is limited by the size of the harbor.

How's the supply situation for your troops? Are their stocks increasing, decreasing or holding approximately steady?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Pocus

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 am

jeff b wrote:According to the indicator at the top of the screen my sea transport is in the category 3/3 range. I have more men there now since I originally posted up, but it is about 15,000 men.

3/3 for the naval pool means not much, can you indicate the actual number?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jeff b
Corporal

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:21 am

164. Hard to say how things are going. I have managed to take Charleston, and Savanah. Plus I now keep a group of transports shuttling back and forth from the north to my army there. My division grew into a corp, then two and an army.

My supply situation is improved, but I can't pinpoint the cause.

Pocus

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 am

I guess you have big stocks in some of the northern ports (like NY etc.), because supply is taken and somehow averaged between harbors with overstocks, toward locations which are in need. The process is not perfect though.

jeff b
Corporal

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:11 pm

I suspect the cause of my improvement was parking a transport in the port I wanted supply forwarded to. I can't definitively state that this is it, because of all the other activity I have been doing. Possibilities are:
1. Parking a transport in the port
2. Having a transport arrive from a port with a supply surplus. i.e. delivering supplies
3. Capturing nearby Larger Ports
4. Capturing Confederate supplies that are transferred to my port.

I can't definitively state which (or all) are the cause of the improvement.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”