iceboy
Corporal

Partesians

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:23 am

I received a partisian unit in Laredo, Texas that took the town. I then put them in defense of the town and the next turn they vanished. What happened? What is the best way to use this unit? They are not strong enough to move into enemy territory so...

PhilThib

Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:29 am

These units are like the 'Minutemen' during the AWI, they will appear in your former territory captured by the enemy where the loyalty is still high in your favor...

They will recapture the region, then vanish (return to their farms and families :cwboy: )...

That's the best of their abilities...their main role is to force the opponent to garrison all freshly captured territory, at least till the loyalty towards the former owner is down... consider them as a 'free' nuisance against your foe. :indien:

Rafiki

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:00 am

Is loyalty the only trigger for these units, or do they depend on (the lack of) garrisons as well? If so, what needs to be garrisoned, and how large does the garrison need to be?

Pocus

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:47 am

any garrison suffice

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Rafiki

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:50 am

So if you put a single unit into every structure you won't get any partisans? Or do you need to garrison every region? Or do you only need to garrison low-loyalty regions?

(Sorry for nagging, but I just want to get "the big picture" about partisans)

iceboy
Corporal

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:16 pm

PhilThib wrote:These units are like the 'Minutemen' during the AWI, they will appear in your former territory captured by the enemy where the loyalty is still high in your favor...

They will recapture the region, then vanish (return to their farms and families :cwboy: )...

That's the best of their abilities...their main role is to force the opponent to garrison all freshly captured territory, at least till the loyalty towards the former owner is down... consider them as a 'free' nuisance against your foe. :indien:

Do they always vanish? Is there a way to keep them from vanishing? I noticed that when I moved them to another town they stayed. I figured another use for them is as raiders if you can keep them around?

Spharv2

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:11 am

You can use them as raiders, this is how they're really meant to be used, but they will still only last for a while. They're going to disappear after a while, since it's basically just a band of civilians getting together to cause some trouble, so use them while you can.

ussdefiant
Corporal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:24 am

Are there any non-minutemen varieities of partisans that pop up, as per the manual's description of them(appearing in the wildest regions of the state, mentioning nothing about towns, nor is there mention of them appearing in towns specically in the Loyalty section, merely mentioning them as being automatically generated)? I can't imagine the Reb player ever being able to find a good use for Quantrill et al. if all the Union has to do is dump a dirt-cheap militia reg. into Jefferson, Rolla, and Springfield. Would also seem to make the Patriot trait pretty much useless as well, as the occasional volunteers you get seem to be locked on only one reg. per state in any case.

Spharv2

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:21 am

ussdefiant wrote:Are there any non-minutemen varieities of partisans that pop up, as per the manual's description of them(appearing in the wildest regions of the state, mentioning nothing about towns, nor is there mention of them appearing in towns specically in the Loyalty section, merely mentioning them as being automatically generated)? I can't imagine the Reb player ever being able to find a good use for Quantrill et al. if all the Union has to do is dump a dirt-cheap militia reg. into Jefferson, Rolla, and Springfield. Would also seem to make the Patriot trait pretty much useless as well, as the occasional volunteers you get seem to be locked on only one reg. per state in any case.

Raiders aren't supposed to be taking towns, though they can, they're there to break rail, devastate the land so units can't live off the land for a while, and if you get lucky and do take a town, burn the depot and get out. They aren't strong enough for real stand up fights.

ussdefiant
Corporal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:53 am

The question is, do you get any partisans at all aside from them popping up in a ungarrisoned town? The way that they're described in the manual certainly makes it seem that you should, at least somewhere in SW Missouri.

PhilThib

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:27 am

Yes, you can get some of them by direct construction, but this is only linked to events that will add them in the force pool ('Southern Unionists' for the Union, the 'Partisan Rangers Act' for the CSA)... we'll see later on if we add some permanently in the force pool :indien:

ussdefiant
Corporal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:51 am

But otherwise, things like the "Patriot" ability only apply to the guys that pop up in ungarrisoned towns?

Seems to make that ablity a tad useless in my eyes then, especially since the Volunteers that are also mentioned in the ability description only seem to pop up once per state.

Pocus

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:19 am

partisans and revolteers are not the same. Revolteers appears in ungarrisoned towns, partisans can appears in hills or forrest and the patriot trait enhance their chance to appears.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”