Stoneage
Private

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:52 am

Turn 8 (Victory 363, Morale 100)
Time for computer to process end of turn : 2.5 minutes

Reinforcments & Replacements :
I notice a lot of units are desperate for replacements, buy line, and ART replacements.

Economics :
Went for 5% war bond cash is getting short and things aren’t going to well. With hind sight I would go for this or exceptional taxes on the first turn. Twenty five victory points or one national morale point for 163,000 or 183,000
cash is a bargain.

Army Org :
At last my divional HQ’s are in Richmond, reorginised the Richmond Army into 2 corps and three divisions. Started pulling in cavalary and artillery units to beef up the corps.

Military :
There are numerous union supply columns hanging around unprotected in the central Virginia area, decide to sweep a few of them up.

The situation in northern Virginia is getting out of control, Union army and flanking corps operating around Harpers Ferry. Army of Shenandoah abandoning Harpers Ferry, falling back to Winchester.

Marching on Bowling Green.

Reinforcing Lexington KY which is now under siege.

Marching on Rolla

Game Info :
Just noticed you can see if a unit is entrenched by the graphics on its base. Look like sand bags etc.

LAVA
Sergeant

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:48 pm

Kewl!

Also noticed that for the yankees, who sometimes are hurting for corps commanders, you can use a 3 star general as a corps commander.

Didn't check, but probably he is less senior to the army commander, so that's why you can do it.

Ray (aka LAVA)

Spharv2

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:53 pm

You can always use 3 stars for corps command, regardless of seniority. The US often fiddled with dates of ranks to justify promoting one general over others. They jumped Rosecrans over 29 or so other generals to give him command of the Army of the Cumberland. You'll never pay penalties for messing around with your corps structure, just make sure you check before appointing a new army commander, because if you don't use the most senior three (or four) star general available for the command of the new army, you'll pay the price.

LAVA
Sergeant

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks mate!

Can you explain why a general will not activate?

I've got some rebs on the ropes and I can't get my 1st corps activated to finish off the job (it's nov 1861).

Ray (aka LAVA)

LAVA
Sergeant

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Stoneage wrote:
Economics :
Went for 5% war bond cash is getting short and things aren’t going to well. With hind sight I would go for this or exceptional taxes on the first turn. Twenty five victory points or one national morale point for 163,000 or 183,000
cash is a bargain.

Yep.. that's what I did, went for exceptional taxes.

From a Union point of view, seems the early war generals are not too anxious to make a fight out of it, so if you have the chance you might want to pounce on a isolated corps.

My army HQ is in Manassas in a passive mode, and I just can't get him or his two corps to attack.

Ray (aka LAVA)

Spharv2

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:29 pm

LAVA wrote:Thanks mate!

Can you explain why a general will not activate?

I've got some rebs on the ropes and I can't get my 1st corps activated to finish off the job (it's nov 1861).

Ray (aka LAVA)

Chance of activation is related to the general's strategic rating. I'm currently playing a game as the Union with random generals, and crapped out on my randomization rolls. My generals are even worse than real life. :) I've only got about 5 possible corps/army commanders, and of those, only one has a strategic rating over 1. I've got two with Strat ratings of 0. I'm not sure what the percentages are, but I don't recall ever seeing a guy with a rating of 0 activate. Anything under 3 means you're going to spend a lot (and I do mean a lot) of time waiting for them to activate so you can use them offensively.

It's not a perfect representation of the way things were, because they can still move while inactive, (Though they move slower) but not being able to go to an offensive posture does a really good job of simulating the inability of the early Union generals to actually finish off the battles they started or got suckered into. :)

LAVA
Sergeant

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:09 pm

Spharv2 wrote:

It's not a perfect representation of the way things were, because they can still move while inactive, (Though they move slower) but not being able to go to an offensive posture does a really good job of simulating the inability of the early Union generals to actually finish off the battles they started or got suckered into. :)

Totally agree...

Thanks for the "under the hood" explanation. It's a very nice simulation.

Surprised Lincoln didn't pull all the hair out of his beard!

:bonk:

Ray (aka LAVA)

Pocus

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:45 am

its rolled against a six-sided dice, you know the white Avalon Hill one ;)

If not active, you can move, but at -35% speed and you can't switch to offensive. if you are caught into battle and you have managed to be on offensive somehow*, unless you are in a firmly control land (understand a very good military control), you will get a nasty combat penalty.

*: can happen if you move into hostile land, you auto switch on offensive. This is to prevent this possible exploit.

Bottom line, you have to stay in defensive at home, basically doing nothing.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:55 am

The only thing that worries me in the turn time,30 secs to 2 mins in length.That is too long for me to enjoy the game.

Stoneage
Private

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:13 pm

The turn time is a bit annoying at first but you soon get use to it. If its the price you pay for good AI I am willing to pay it.

tc237
Colonel

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:26 pm

It takes me 30 minutes to plan my moves, so I can give the AI 2 minutes.
I'm sure pocus said he was going to optimize the AI after he got enough feedback from players.

Pocus

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:39 pm

reducing the AI time always take ... time, so for now it does not seems to be the top priority, as most people want interface improvements and AI improvements. This can be done, definitively, but don't count on that before several weeks at least.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”