Wraith
Sergeant

Confederate Army Build Strategy

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:16 pm

So, recently restarted a PBEM with my good frienemy Jerzul. For this go around, we decided to up the attrition to Historical. We're close to the end of August 1861 now, and I've yet to be in a position to build even a single cheap brigade, generally because I've no significant source of money with which to buy such "extravagances", and most of my resources are going into reinforcements. This is getting on my nerves, as he's gone and secured Island 10, New Orleans, Missouri and on his way to securing Arkansas, and there is literally nothing I have to stop him with.

So, my questions to you Sage Commanders of the Grey, what the hell am I doing wrong? Why can't I buy more units to put into the field? Am I forever just stuck with what I have?

charlesonmission

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:51 pm

This doesn't sound normal to me. I always play with Historical and never had this problem as the CSA or Union. Have you called for volunteers while paying 1,000. Have you put in the embargo to get the 3 NM? Are you using your CS and money on "Heavy Artillery?

Wraith wrote:So, recently restarted a PBEM with my good frienemy Jerzul. For this go around, we decided to up the attrition to Historical. We're close to the end of August 1861 now, and I've yet to be in a position to build even a single cheap brigade, generally because I've no significant source of money with which to buy such "extravagances", and most of my resources are going into reinforcements. This is getting on my nerves, as he's gone and secured Island 10, New Orleans, Missouri and on his way to securing Arkansas, and there is literally nothing I have to stop him with.

So, my questions to you Sage Commanders of the Grey, what the hell am I doing wrong? Why can't I buy more units to put into the field? Am I forever just stuck with what I have?

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 pm

What are your financial policies? War bonds and taxes alone should be enough to scrape together some forces by the end of '61. Paper printing is a controversial method, some people stay away from it, others swear by it. From what I've seen, as long as you don't use it too often, the interest accumulation shouldn't be too bad.

Here's what I normally do... remember, this is what I usually do against the AI, thought the same pattern would probably work in a PBEM.

1. Turn one, pass measured tax and war bonds. Also, click off recruitment and mobilization immediately. Why do this? Because they will be able to be used again in just a few turns, 5 or 6 I think. These early options won't net you too much, but it's better than nothing and using your conscript and money options early will just let you use them that many more times.

2. Don't worry about defense-in-depth, especially against an aggressive human character. Build units just far back enough to away from the front lines to able to get them in shape and then organize a muster city for your units to collect in for forming divisions and corps. For me this is usually Richmond, Nashville, Memphis, and Little Rock.

3. Are you plopping down industry anywhere? Forget it. Your opponent will be marching into Richmond and tossing out Jeff Davis long before any factories open up there. You will get as much from taxes and ship raiding as you ever will from economic development. It may be useful in a long haul game where the opponent invests in a blue water blockade, but I don't use it much and from what I've gathered from players here on the forum, they don't much like it either.

4. The militia mob spawning is another controversial option. They are cheap and you have access to a great many. However, their combat scores are very low and it will take many months for them to upgrade into regular infantry. For the early part of the war, I actually like building those large brigades like the ones you can get for Virginia, Tennessee and Arkansas. A one large brigade with a decent commander can wreak havoc in the early days of '61. I've seen the AI actually take one large Tennessee brigade under General Polk and march him all the way from Memphis to Bowling Green... and at the time I had little to stop him.

These are just some of things that I do when playing, but human opponents are much more unpredictable than Athena. But as a catch-all strategy for money, I'd suggest taxes, blockade running, and occasional paper printing. There's no reason why those alone shouldn't be enough to allow you a decent front line force in the '61.

Jim-NC

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:20 am

Generally speaking, you only build units right after your options come up (taxes, bonds, volunteers, etc), as that is the only time you have enough stuff to build anything. The rest of the time, you would be only able to purchase replacements. So usually, there is a July and January build period, and then replacements the other 10 months.

As the others say, if allowed, you can print money (I say allowed as your house rules may be against it). Attempting to build industry costs you the money and WSU each turn until canceled. This trips up a lot of players, and drains them of needed money/WSU.

Generally, you should build a few extra brigs, and send them to the blockade boxes (they will bring in money or WSU, or both - depending on your current need).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ace

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:23 am

Just do not buy reinforcements for heavy artillery, supplies, engineers and such. Hope this helps.

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:58 pm

As stated above, you can use Call for Volunteers and the two financial option very quickly twice. I usually go straight for Embargo Cotton, wait until that timer hits 0 and then Call and raise some cash.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”