Jerzul
Captain

Taking Coastal Forts

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 am

Maybe I'm missing this in the manual somewhere, but how exactly does the Union take coastal forts? I'm talking about Fort Fisher, Caswell, Macon, etc. Can you launch an attack straight from a ship at sea? Sorry but I'm still new to this game!
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

Durk

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:13 am

Others will provide you with more detailed 'how to.' The basic idea is you load you leaders, division and units onto transports, move them to the fort and unload.
You launch your attack from the sea in one of two ways, you can use the distant unload or simply move next tot he fort and then move your units to the fort. You need to have enough strength to take the fort, in land units.
Then, set your units to attack mode and the fort is yours.

Jim-NC

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:17 am

Usually 1 full division is enough to defeat the regular garrison of a fort (CSA - 1 inf element, 1 coastal art, and 1 other art). You should also have a few loose regiments for garrison duty.

I load my division on to some transports in a fleet. Then I sail the fleet next to the fort (in the sea zone beside it). Next turn, I drag and drop my division on the fort (you can use assault posture to try to capture that turn, or attack to wait a turn). You will need to assualt the fort at some point. The turn after I assault, I move my fleet into the fort for repairs, and to off-load a spare regiment (the extra garrison). After a turn or 2 recovering cohesion, your division is ready to sail away to the next fort.

As Durk said, you can use distant unload as well. I don't use it as the troops are VERY vulnerable when they unload, and it can be a receipe for disaster.

This was a great way to get your best leaders promoted quickly (don't know if that's still true in the last patch).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chuske
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:35 pm

What is your plan after taking the coastal forts?

Do you garrison them and if so what forces do you garrison with? Just the default art, coast art and inf or do you add a few extra inf or artillery to stop an opponent taking them back or do you destroy the fort?

What about Forts Monroe and Pickens how much do you garrison them and with what, art, gatling or loads of inf? Do you ever add siege guns or supply wagon to make sieging hard? I usually assume most won't bother sieging so I aim to just make assualts costly.

I usually leave most coastal forts with the default garrison but put some brigs patrolling to stop riverine assaults by the CSA. Pickens and Monroe I usually add 3 inf and another 12 lb but have no real idea if thats a good reinforcement. If Monroe is threatened I'll usually send a full division there.
Useful Info for Beginners

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Jim-NC

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 am

I generally add one of the small Zouave units (single regiments) and a Gatling gun. If you add more, then you risk getting cut off, and the unit surrendering (which can cost NM). If the CSA player wants them back, he can take them. But that means he will be weaker somewhere else. I don't worry about Ft. Pickens. As to Monroe, I place a division's worth of troops as soon as possible (but don't make them a division). Then I march everything that is not fixed towards Richmond (to fulfill the "Onto Richmond" event). With a division in front, Ft. Monroe only needs the standard garrison. I will have 1 (or 2) divisions sitting on top (not inside) the last fort taken, preparing to take the next fort.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pb783
Lieutenant
Location: Coming out of the attic-- I've finally beaten Athena

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm

At one time, I think with an early patch, there was a concept of using the Union navy to blow forts away. I believe that concept has been fixed with a patch. In any case, I've never successfully used that concept to capture a fort.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”