Jerzul
Captain

Building Supply Wagons

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:37 pm

I have read on these forums repeatedly about the importance of keeping wagons with your Corps and Independent divisions and their general awesomeness overall. My only question is this: I've read several AARs and no one actually seems to ever build any new wagons. Does anyone do this? They are really expensive ($40K, 24 Conscripts, 24WS) so I want to know if its worth it to build any of them.

I wouldn't mind opinions from both the Federal side and the Confederate sides.

Thanks!

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:34 pm

I usually build at least two extra supply wagons as the CSA, and build an extra depot behind the lines in Virginia. I also tend to build depots along major rivers, but I use riverine transports for this purpose as they are cheaper than wagons. But wagons are worth their weight in gold - not only for the bonuses they provide to your Corps in the field, but they are also vital for critical garrisons, allowing them to withstand sieges for much longer.

I just started playing the Union for the very first time, but I imagine I'll build at least a couple extra wagons for the boys in blue. No sense raising a huge army if you can't keep it well supplied for its southern vacation ;)
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

rattler01
Captain

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Both sides tend to start with enough unless you are making deep penetrations into the others lands and they have imposed a scorched earth policy. As the CSA I don't build them unless I go fort heavy. With the USA, I try to keep supplies flowing along rivers (which is move effecient and easier to defend), whichs means I us the cheaper naval transports to make depots. The only exception really is in the far-west.
"To fallen comrades. And Winged Warriors; past, present, and future. One team, one fight. Winged Warriors."

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Rattler makes a good point - they're nice to have, but it's not really necessary to build more, especially with the CSA's limited resources. I should also note, I do tend to "go fort heavy" with the CSA with coastal arty on the Mississippi.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:54 pm

I'd add a small observation. Supply wagons also have the following additional benefits:

* They provide a +10% fire bonus during battles (provided they have some ammo left).

* They protect units from bad weather effects by trading hits for supply.

In addition, a supply wagon is able to supply any land unit with both General Supply and Ammunition if it is in the same or an adjacent region.

PS: I take this opportunity to greet my friend John Sedgwick, that some time ago that I know nothing from him. :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jerzul
Captain

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 am

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll keep that in mind as I go through my first PBEM...actually my first full game ever!

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”