squarian
Brigadier General

Too many chiefs

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:03 pm

With the addition of many more generals, especially for the Union side, since the original version of the game, I now have a kind of quandary -

What do I do with them all? By early 63 the Union has enough leaders to man all sixty divisions, all detached forces, and every last garrison. I wish I could take the left-overs and convert them into a combat unit: the Brass Brigade.

lodilefty

Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 pm

squarian wrote:With the addition of many more generals, especially for the Union side, since the original version of the game, I now have a kind of quandary -

What do I do with them all? By early 63 the Union has enough leaders to man all sixty divisions, all detached forces, and every last garrison. I wish I could take the left-overs and convert them into a combat unit: the Brass Brigade.

:mdr:
I agree. :neener:

I'm tinkering with fewer leaders in a mod, but it will be some time before it sees public ridicule :blink:
First, stable official patches ;)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Jim-NC

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:09 pm

I think it should be more leader deaths/wounds. For example, Lee took over only because Johnston was wounded.

Currently, AFAIK, a general only gets wounded if the unit he is attached to is destroyed. He can also die then (or by random chance during the battle).

Imagine if 10% of your generals were wounded at any given time, that would relieve the excessive general problem.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 am

I don't suppose anyone has actually done a count of wounds/deaths in-game vs historical?

I've had generals die in battles without their unit being wiped out, but I agree it's more common when the unit is wiped.

charlesonmission

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:20 am

In my last AAR, I was the CSA and I used all the CSA generals and was still short about 5 or 6. Also, I wondier if there should be another CSA naval commander (Commodore Montgomery) for the Mississippi River.

Charles

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:23 am

Longshanks wrote:I don't suppose anyone has actually done a count of wounds/deaths in-game vs historical?

I've had generals die in battles without their unit being wiped out, but I agree it's more common when the unit is wiped.

My average deaths per campaign is less than 2 I'm pretty sure. Put another way, less than 1 per year. I'd like to see more general deaths like there is in RUS, but hopefully with a mechanic that takes intensity of the battle into account.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:34 am

Are you guys kidding me? I am always extremely short of general officers for both sides. If anything there should be more not less! I find this very hard to believe....

I just don't believe that you can find an assignment for everyone and still have leftovers. I have to question if the way you are playing the game is not optimized..
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”