Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Van Dorn is Not a Rock Band Name

Tue May 03, 2011 8:59 pm

7/17 E. Van Dorn’s Command engaged the United States of America in region Springfield, MO, at day 2.
8/17 United States of America succeeded in retreating from a battle in region Springfield, MO, at day 2, hour 5, taking 1 hits.
9/17 We won a battle against United States of America in region Springfield at day 2 | 3 National Morale Points gained.
(btw, Dorn lost 3843 of 6332; Lyon lost 1814 of 15484 and retreated to an adjacent region.)

12/12 Earl Van Dorn has been blamed for having suffering a defeat before the enemy. New Seniority: 8.

I don’t get it. He wins, but he loses? Is this a bug? If not, what’s the logic?

Am really enjoying the very nice forum btw! :thumbsup:

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Tue May 03, 2011 9:50 pm

Seniority seems to be based on casualties suffered vs casualties inflicted. In your case, EVD got his but kicked even though Lyon retreated. You'd think he'd get in trouble for losing over half his force. The Rebs didn't celebrate the great "victory" at Franklin TN even though the Union ultimately retreated.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 03, 2011 11:05 pm

OK, that makes sense. Also, nice to have a reply from a resident of my native state. Yes, I had ancestors on both sides, but I only ended up with the Yankee's gun. The other disappeared sometime around Shiloh. Where I grew up (near Fort Henry), you could kick the dirt up and find mini balls. If someone ever wonders why Southerners think about the Civil War so much, this is one of the reasons. Anyway, thanks!

Jim-NC

Wed May 04, 2011 5:52 pm

BTW, you may not have *won* the NM. The game gives a message based on who retreated, not the actual NM awarded. So if you had several units destroyed, or lost significantly higher amounts of troops, then you lose NM (and the game engine does the correct math). The report is sometimes not correct.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”