George McClellan
Captain
Location: " If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere!"

Good Union Battle Strategies

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:11 am

Come and share yours! Mine is fairly simple:
-I have three armies; "" of the ohio "" of the cumberland and the Union ""
-The cumberland sails south and marches to Richmond, capturing cities along the way
-Meanwhile Ohio army does the same from the West to Richmond

Any Suggestions? :mdr: :mdr: :mdr: :thumbsup: thanks! :dada:

Krec
Sergeant

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 am

i like it :thumbsup:

Njordr
Sergeant

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 am

George McClellan wrote:Come and share yours! Mine is fairly simple:
-I have three armies; "" of the ohio "" of the cumberland and the Union ""
-The cumberland sails south and marches to Richmond, capturing cities along the way
-Meanwhile Ohio army does the same from the West to Richmond

Any Suggestions? :mdr: :mdr: :mdr: :thumbsup: thanks! :dada:

I'd like to know what Albert Sidney Johnston and his Army of Tennessee (CSA) think about having a clear track to Chicago... :bonk:

Jim-NC

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:11 am

Welcome to the forum George. You will find it a useful, helpful place. Enjoy your stay here.

In the forums, the search button is your friend.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

George McClellan
Captain

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks!

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Welcome George! :thumbsup:

I endorse what was said by my friend Jim! ;)

:hat:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ace

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Definitely aggressive, aggressive and more aggressive in a single theater. In a short, everything your historical avatar failed to do. :neener:

George McClellan
Captain

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Njordr wrote:I'd like to know what Albert Sidney Johnston and his Army of Tennessee (CSA) think about having a clear track to Chicago... :bonk:

What did you mean by that?...

George McClellan
Captain

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Ace wrote:Definitely aggressive, aggressive and more aggressive in a single theater. In a short, everything your historical avatar failed to do. :neener:

You greatly anger me.

George McClellan
Captain

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 pm

"G. McClellan's Command (NY Voulenteers, Artillery, MD Colored Bde.) attacks Ace's Command (Supply)"

George McClellan
Captain

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Battle of richmond, va - union victory!

George McClellan
Captain

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Yesh.

von Sachsen
Captain

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:18 am

Well, I don't know about good strategy, but I just had one of the best games so far a few days ago. Various armies (admittedly one or two later on were just dummies to keep the politicians happy) One giant one under Grant initially in the West, later split upon reaching Vicksburg in 63 and two more in the east.

I was able to capture Fayettville, AR thanks to the St. Louis Massacre being avoided. This made the far west fun as I had to slog a bit to gain ground, but wasn't tied down in MO the whole time like happens often my game. In the west, it was just a general advance - secure - fight off any attempts to retake any cities, with a focus on the MS river, finally getting around to East TN in later 63 after an abortive attempt at it or two earlier.

And finally the east was much more different from history than the other two theaters in this game. Failed in the initial bid for Manassas, but was able to hold Winchester by the end of 61, and took the rest of the Valley by very early 62. This is where it got interesting. I moved the AOP south in march/april 62 with slightly over 100k men, there were no big battles, except a corps sized battle or two. On reaching Richmond however, I saw that it was defended by forces upwards of 5k strength. So, given that my commander was McClellan, I decided a siege would be the best course of action.

I surrounded it with a Corps in every province save those on the James River and two corps along with McClellan himself sitting between Petersburg and Richmond. I had smaller forces (brigade and division sized) seize the Lynchburg and Petersburg. This continued on for the rest of 62 (I started the siege in July/August) while I built up my forces, built depots to supply all of the troops surrounding Richmond and advanced in the west.
The AI did make a few attempts to escape, twice in 62, once later and again just before the end, all times trying to force south through the two corps (they could very possibly broken through at other points, but then would have been chased down and cut of from the south.

As 63 passed, I was finally able to raise enough troops to force out Early, who had entrenched himself in Norfolk and in doing so sealed the fate of Richmond as its only supply line was cut.

As the year passed into 1864, the rebels began to starve within the city. The once mighty army was reduced to under 40k men and a few on garrison. This was all that tried to break out in march, and were thrown back by John Pope, recently appointed to replace McClellan after the latter's inactivity and the formers successful career as a corp commander in the west. then in early april, a few months shy of the two year anniversary of the beginning of the siege, the Union assaulted the city and faced relatively little resistance from the starving confederates.

George McClellan
Captain

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:37 am

Ace wrote:Definitely aggressive, aggressive and more aggressive in a single theater.

Actually, it's Early March, 1864...so...

George McClellan
Captain

POST REPLIES PLZ! :mdr:

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 am

:mdr:

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:22 am

One of my primary tasks as the Union is to blockade Richmond ASAP. This requires about a dozen combat ships, plus 2-4 transports to keep them in place. Richmond is very important for CSA production of everything that counts, and blockading cuts its production significantly. It's more than a fair trade for what Semmes is taking from you.

knowmad62
Conscript

Re: Semmes

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:39 am

I have had success neutralizing Semmes by sending a fleet
of heavy warships, including all available armored frigates,
to the shipping box. That way the transports aren't such
easy prey.

Jim-NC

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:44 am

knowmad62 - Welcome and enjoy your stay. Browse the forums and don't hesitate to ask questions. Remember to use the search function (it will be your guide).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SleeStak
Corporal

Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:49 am

Knocking out New Orleans denies the South a bunch of cash and going after a couple of those easy coastal towns (Pensacola is a good target but the South concentrates there, Wilmington is an easy grab and some of the towns in Florida are easy targets, Wakassa sets you up for Jacksonville, Beaufort for Savanahaa and Charlsetown but you have to deal with Fort Pulaski, Georgetown, SC, sets you up for Charlestown and is unimpeded by those pesky Southern forts) spreads the Confederates thin. Bring a seige train though as you may have to clear some forts to secure your supplies and add to your transport fleet as the 120 points don't seem to keep me supplied in major amphibious landings.

Also, I've found that if you can coordinate a landing in Norfolk with a march by your main army from Fredrickburg, you can denude Richmond of defenders. The Norfolk grab will almost certainly draw troops from Richmond (clearing the way for a NorthEastern approach) and holding Norfolk also gives you a point to attack Richmond's rail links. Remember to capture Edenton to give yourself a place to retreat (and maybe fill its harbors with transports in case you need to run).

You can also use the capture of Norfolk to support a northern push against Richmond's rail links. Grabbing just Garysburg, Burkeville and Lynchburg, cuts Richmond's rail traffic and this, in conjunction with cutting Richmond's river traffic through the excellent strategy of a blockade or by entreching a force with artillery along the James to interdict river traffic, should strangle Richmond. It disperses your forces though.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”