Zara
Civilian

Coastal Artillery

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:41 am

Playing my first game in full campaign as CSA.

Boy, the Union sure does a number on the coastal forts. Any guidance on what to do?

It doesn't appear that new coastal artillery can be made, only replaced. Are there other artillery pieces worth placing in coastal forts? Or is this a complete lost cause.

OneArmedMexican
General

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:51 am

I believe you actually can buy new coastal artillery (if I am not mistaken, the first place where you will see them in the force pool is Georgia).

Some forts are expendable, others have some strategic importance (for example: Fort Monroe, Island No. 10, the forts at the Mississippi mouth). These are the only ones worth any ressources (or conquering in the case of Fort Monroe).

On the other hand, you won't loose against the AI just because you ignore coastal forts. It's not as if it would make great use of its sea-born assets.

Gray_Lensman

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:13 am

deleted

Zara
Civilian

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 am

I see them now appearing in force pool. I believe there is a cap...if you lose one, you can rebuild it. Doesn't look like a winning proposition, though.

Of course, the alternative is your coastal forts without coastal guns get pounded, with the infrantry taking fearful losses.

Jim-NC

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Zara - welcome to the forums. You do not need to have coastal artillery to bombard passing ships (any artillery with a range of 5 or 5+ can do it - I don't currently recall which it is). The coastal artillery is just better. As the CSA, the problem is that the units in the forts start out at half strength, and cost a lot to bring up to full strength. They take the heavy artillery replacement (most regular artillery used the "Field Artillery" replacements which are cheaper).

Enjoy your time in the forum.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”