Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

CSA Financial Strategy

Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:48 pm

Out of sheer curiosity, I have done it ... started a PBEM game as the dark side. :cool:

Sure feels a lot different. Especially being rather short on cash seems to be a drastic limitation.

As the Union I am extremely conservative with raising money. As a rule I do everything to avoid inflation and nearly everything to avoid NM hits. Of course, with the sort of industrial and manpower base the North has, that's easy to do.

Is such a strategy even possible for the South, or is inflation a fact I have to accept from the outset? In fact, if it's possible, is it prudent? Can I afford to wait and see, and keep my inflation-causing money options in reserve? Or do I need all the money I can get right in 1861 to buy enough troops and guns to survive?

A few comments from experienced CSA players appreciated. Or pointing me to threads where this has been discussed is good enough too. (I have already read the thread labeled "sustainable inflation", but that was more on the outer limits later in the game than on what's necessary and prudent for a start).

Thanks. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Jim-NC

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:47 pm

I would recommend Banks' excellent AAR. As for my personal play style, I avoid inflation as much as possible. So I won't use all money options available. I find that blockade runners provide a steady stream of money (after the first year, I rarely need WS). I am almost always more limited on CS points. I never have enough men.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

richfed

Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:27 pm

I am playing my very first PBEM game. I am the CSA and we are in the beginning of 1862, so it is early. I can say this, and I suppose it is because of my opponent's effective use of blockades, I am having a very difficult time with cash and war supplies particularly. Men are not in abundance, either. Very different experience than against the AI.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Mickey3D

Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:56 pm

My experience in PBEM is : don't care about inflation !

The only thing that will limit you with the South is conscription points and perhaps WS somewhere in 1862.

Against an experimented North player you'll be overrun if you limit your conscription and call for volunteers in order to limit inflation.

Note : another problem is the National Moral

Big Ideas
Captain

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 am

As the CSA everything costs money, you just have to get used to it. The most common FI choices for example- USA has total blockade and they get $50k. The CSA has cotton embargo and it costs you $150k- and inflation is charged to this as well. You just have to be patient on some turns you won't have all three production resources at the same time and be forced to buy the basics and save for a couple of turns. Once inflation does blow out you find yourself at the printing press very often as you can't even buy the basics without it. You have to decide on how large your armies are going to be and their composition, the size of the navy and ironclads you want. Another concern is that you need to buy as much stuff from Virginia and Tennessee as early as possible because you don't want the Yankees overrunning your recruits while they are training. Same goes to a lesser degree if you want to recruit from Kentucky or Missouri.
My inflation is usually around 20% for 1862, 30% for 1863 and 40% for 1864. Though some games have had more than that!

slimey.rock
Major

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:58 am

I like to limit my inflation as much as possible, especially early. In the first few years of the war, the benefits of inflationary finantial options are limited compared to late game. Furthermore, the penalties are much higher. If you have 10% inflation by 1862, you pay that penalty for the rest of the game, but if you hold out until middle 1863, you gain more from printing money and you're not paying the inflated price for your soldiers for a year and a half. The point is that it is better to hold out as long as possible before stooping to inflation.

I know it is really nice to use up all 700 CS points from 1861, but if you are patient enough, your money will catch up to your conscript points without having to print money or issue 8% bonds. The key to the Southern economy is finding that perfect balance between money, conscripts, and war supplies. If you ever have a long term surplus in one, it means that you have a long term deficit in another.

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Great replies, thank you Gentlemen. :) :thumbsup:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Vegetius
General

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:05 pm

Well, i have played a lot of games as the CSA and my strategy is to use the T-bonds 8% and exceptional taxes, but i never use the money print until 63 or even 64.

Due to that, i usually do not have a powerfull navy except on the Mississipi river, too expensive to build, especially ironclads. My only investment is on blockade runners, about 15 in the Mexico gulf and 5-10 in the atlantic box.

Like Mickey, i don't really care about inflation in the beginning of the game, i quickly reach 12-15%. If you are too cautious, the Northern army will be too strong to stop. Ant the priority is to push it back !

And don't forget there is a good rule, the higher the inflation, the best chances you have to make it decrease !
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:34 pm

"Dark Side?" How did the Germans get into AACW!!! t

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Vegetius wrote:And don't forget there is a good rule, the higher the inflation, the best chances you have to make it decrease !

Pray, how does one decrease it? :confused:

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Pray, how does one decrease it? :confused:

Each turn, the chance is equal to your current level of inflation. For example, if you have 70% inflation there is a 70% chance that you will get an 'economic sunrise' lowering your inflation by 1%.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Colonel Dreux
Major

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:41 pm

I've not played PBEM, but against the AI I only raise taxes and issue T-Bonds. It's possible to play the whole game and win without printing money. However, depending on how the game progresses you many want to print money at an opportune time. It's up to you.

Furthermore, I don't start building industry until January 1862. Up until then I focus on units and ships. I also Do 10 to 20 RR per turn and 5 to 10 river transports per turn. By 1862, with some victories under your belt you can raise more funds through taxes and T-bonds and may not need to print money. With a surplus of cash you can start to do 3 factories in one state per turn, if you want to, which more or less guarantees you'll get some kind of return on your industrial investment.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:29 pm

W.Barksdale wrote:Each turn, the chance is equal to your current level of inflation. For example, if you have 70% inflation there is a 70% chance that you will get an 'economic sunrise' lowering your inflation by 1%.

Thanks. :)

Big Ideas
Captain

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:51 am

If you last this long you can be hit by this event which is an expensive trade adding heaps of inflation and only $75k. I would have thought it should reduce inflation. But by now an extra 15% inflation isn't going to change things. I still have control of Richmond and Memphis so have a good income.
Attachments
currency reform.jpg

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:07 pm

I think it generally depends on the situation. VP's...especially for the south tend to remain solid gold real estate. Especially if you don't trigger Foreign Intervention.

I tend to favor the VP's over inflationary drawbacks. So going with 8% bonds is not on the top of my financial to do list as the CSA.

As the CSA...you have so much to weigh when making those financial decisions...VP's...NM...Inflation.

Typically I'll put the best VP result as my top priority.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”