Berge20
Sergeant

Newb Question: Reinforcement vs Replacement

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:14 pm

I can't quite seem to get the practical difference in my head around the differences between reinforcements vs replacements. It's probably simple, but want to see if this right.

Reinforcement are effectively new units, yes?
And Replacements are effectively a reserve of a type of unit that will come in and help heal up damaged units?

So if I create a new infantry unit, it will come into the game all in the red--but will automatically build up to full strength (1000 men lets say). If I then go and get that unit busted up in a fight down to 1/2 strength via manpower losses, the only way to get that unit back up to 1000 men again is via replacement?

How do replacements impact experience level of a unit? Is it cheaper to replace than to reinforce?

Are there any good threads/places that might help me fully understand this?

Thanks. New to the game (demo'd it long ago, but just recently bought it) and trying to nail down the nuances. Very well done.

PS - Is there a way to know if a unit that just appears on the map (Say Stonewall's Bde) that are in the red partially to start need replacements or are just building up? (Is it just a difference in the turn message when they come in?)

arsan

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi and welcome aboard!

You've got right the difference between replacements and reinforcements. :thumbsup:
But...
- Reinforcements bought by you don't need replacements. They are already at full health, but need some time to finish training and the like (check their tooltips to see how many time).
- Most of the reinforcements you receive for free (specially at campaign start) will arrive depleted (and 30-50% strength) and will need replacements to get to 100%.
- Damaged units (on battle or whatever) needs replacement of the adequate kind (cav, inf...) to recover losses. The speed of the recovery depends of where they are located. Its faster at depots at big cities and much slower on the wild.
- Replacements will put elements on the green and also recover full missing elements from a brigade. Some historical reinforcement brigades comes with just one element and can grow up to 4 or 5 :blink:
- Stonewall brigade is (if i recall correctly) an elite brigade so they will need elite infantry replacements to recover strength. Regular infantry replacement won't do.

Use the forum search tool to find mroe info. thera has been lots of threads abot this :)
Also, the wiki can be very usefull
http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/Main_Page
Cheers!

Berge20
Sergeant

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks!

Is there a master list of the different unit powers (offensive/defensive/range/etc) anywhere? Ie quickly comparing a militia unit vs a calvary unit or different infintry unit?

arsan

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi!

No, there isn't... at least i don't remember seeing it :confused:
There was one list like that for another AGEOD game, Napoleons Campaigns, but it will not help you as the units are completely different.
You will have to sue the unit detail panel in game.
By the way, a couple of question i forgot to answer...
- Replacements can affect unit experience indeed, lowering a depleted veteran unit experience.
But not using replacement and instead trying to consolidate veteran unit must be a micromanagement hell and not efficient at all.
I highly recommend using replacements :thumbsup:
Cheers

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:48 pm

As CSA always opt for the replacements. Never let the replacement pool get depleted if you are CSA - well not if you can help it. Just because you can bring your Armies back up to strength far quicker than if you let that pool deplete! Particularly so with your artillery consider the length of time it takes to build new artillery!
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”