It's a Trap

Takng Fort Donelson

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:10 am

What is the best wasy to take this fort?

From what I see the best way is to land at Collies KY and attack south. Is this what most people do? Cause I get hammered by the guns,that would be over ~30 miles south of the northern most landing point. Providing that the CSA put guns along the Cumberland river that would mean you'd have to go to Deactur for a clear crossing?

I have tried a direct landing without getting bomarded (which makes no sense why I do in Collies). However sometimes when I land battle insues and I slaughtered. And other other times it goes straight into a seige. Any idea on what determines this?

arsan

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:19 am

Hi
If possible attack from the southeast so you don't have to cross a mayor river.
Regarding the battle or siege, it can depend of two things: your stack posture (red will mean assault without siege) and the enemy location, inside the fort (you will be able to siege) or outside or most probably both out and inside the structure.
If there is defendig forces outside you willhave to fight before being able to lay siege. And if you are doing an amphibious attack or attacking across a major river you will experiment heavy penalties :bonk:
Regards

It's a Trap

Takng Fort Donelson

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:20 am

Would it make sense to extend the Great Confluent (where Tennesse and Cumberland rivers end) to connect to Collies Mills, KY? As of right now the Fort Donelson Batt. can fire at any landings there as stated in http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=152711#post152711
which is in excess of 25 miles downstream. From what I see the only other changes would be to increase the movement from Tenn and Cumberland rivers by 1 day and allow units in Trigg KY to bombard passing ships. Which from what I see take on any part of the river.

It's a Trap

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:49 am

But to attack from the SE would mean crossing by River into Humphreys TN which would result in being bombarded and if I'm getting bombarded anyway the save attack would be from the north right? Unless I had already taken Nashville. Then from the SE would be best. But the idea is to take the fort first forcing a CSA to go to Nahsville or Memphis or risk being being defeated in detail.

slimey.rock
Major

Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:31 am

There's always the region north of Donelson. If you enter that region first, you will avoid the river crossing penalty. However, I find it easier to go directly to Donelson in offensive posture (NOT assualt), seige for a few turns and then assault.

From my experience Donelson is one of the weakest forts in the game. If you can keep the enemy from reinforcing it, Donelson has a very weak garrison.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:49 am

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:49 am

It's a Trap wrote:Would it make sense to extend the Great Confluent (where Tennesse and Cumberland rivers end) to connect to Collies Mills, KY? As of right now the Fort Donelson Batt. can fire at any landings there as stated in http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=152711#post152711
which is in excess of 25 miles downstream. From what I see the only other changes would be to increase the movement from Tenn and Cumberland rivers by 1 day and allow units in Trigg KY to bombard passing ships. Which from what I see take on any part of the river.

No.

see post #5 at this thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=152711#post152711

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:59 am

deleted

It's a Trap

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:00 am

Excellent point

It's a Trap

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:00 am

Deleted

It's a Trap

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:51 am

Your right it doesn't when landing from the narrows or ferry. I wonder what path I was doing earlier?

Cut me some slack I'm new to this galaxy. BTW "Milky way?" honestly who thought of that?

Edit: Wow combining the two totally confused me. So many double posts.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:55 am

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:58 am

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:03 am

deleted

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:27 am

In a nutshell:

* Attack from the adjacent spit of land.

* Attack when there is no one but the garrison there.

* Use Grant or Sherman in a 285+ PWR Division. This will let you Assault (Ass/All Out Ass) right away.

It will most probably fall immediately.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”