nytram01
Conscript

How best to use Mosby and Quantrill

Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 pm

I've not quite gotten the hang of these irregular units for the Confederacy and more than once I've had both Mosby and Quantrill's commands wiped out and even lost Mosby and Quantrill themselves occaisonally so I want to ask what is the best way to use these two and get the best out of them?

Colonel Dreux
Major

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:41 pm

nytram01 wrote:I've not quite gotten the hang of these irregular units for the Confederacy and more than once I've had both Mosby and Quantrill's commands wiped out and even lost Mosby and Quantrill themselves occaisonally so I want to ask what is the best way to use these two and get the best out of them?

Brigade Mosby with a cavalry unit or take one of the two big cavalry brigades the game gives and then stick in the Shenandoah or Allegheny regions and either let him sit and watch (with easy retreat on) for Federal movement, or send him on some railroad busting raids. Just don't leave him up North for long. Have him go back and forth when he raids.
Oh my God, lay me down!

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:03 pm

Non-combat recon/raiding.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Use them in a non combat and recon situations - be careful of them in winter though. I never found them much use in ambush situations - usually got destroyed and I think Mosby you dont want to waste that way?
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Keep Quantrill with any stacks that don't already have a cavalryman. He'll boost the effectiveness of any cavalry in that stack. If you have a shortage of raiders you can give him such an assignment.

Keep Mosby with a cavalry corps. His screener ability will give you the edge in keeping the stack composition hidden for as logn as possible. Don't use him as a raider as he's much more valuable as part of your cavalry corps.

Don't bother using these guys for recon. Regular cavalry are the best, however, in certain situations you can use the uncommanded partisan units too.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Quantrill!!

Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:48 am

Take Q out the nearest sump and shoot him!!! t

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”