kjstrand
Private

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 am

I think speed is the key to a CSA victory. I build up forces as quickly in as possible in the east while causing enough havoc west to make the USA player think I'm going to go on offensive. The real plan, though, is to make the USA player build up forces and then slowly retreat, trading territory for time, and killing lots of USA troops.

Meanwhile, take Fort Monroe quickly if you can, definitely threaten it, but take Harpers Ferry as quickly as possible. Also take and hold the territory between Harpers Ferry and Alexandria/Manassas. Put a depot on it so you can hold it through the winter and you have a solid line on the Potomac. From there, you have to out-maneuver your opponent into exposing corps, one at a time. Encircle DC and make your opponent fight his way out.

I like to expand my railroads as much as possible so I can maximize use of my limited manpower.

If you're going to win, it's going to be before the end of 1863. Disregard the trans-Mississippi, it's a waste of time. Sacrifice New Orleans. Slaughter the Union in Tennessee. Overwhelm them in the East. That's my formula.

facmanpob
Civilian

Force levels

Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:07 am

Hello all,
I bought the game about 2 weeks ago (how did it get past my radar for such a long time?!) and since then have been working out game mechanics and strategies by playing smaller campaigns - these forums (fora? - sp) have been an invaluable resource, so thank you to all those who have unknowingly helped me! :thumbsup: In particular the AARs are great - I'm following Soundoff vs Banks very closely!

Now to my question:

I've read a lot of stuff about the sort of force levels people like to build up playing as CSA, but haven't found much discussion about the timescale it takes to build up those forces. For example, an earlier poster mentioned that they like to create a 4 Corps size army in VA - but didn't say how long it usually took - 1 year, 2 years etc etc......

I'm currently playing a full campaign as CSA and its late Feb 1862. My current force levels are:

Tx - 1 split Division of 3600 Inf, 4200 Cav, 16 Guns under Forney**, with McCulloch* and Sibley* assisting

Mo - 2 small Divisions of 7800 Inf, 3000 Cav, 8 Guns + S.Watie's Indians, under Holmes**, with Magruder* and Taliaferro* assisting

KY - Army of Tennessee under AS Johnston***, with Van Dorn** and Polk** waiting to form Corps - 4 Divisions of 22500 Inf, 6600 Cav, 112 Guns

VA - Army of Potomac under Beauregard*** and independent command under Joe Johnston*** (about to become AoNV), with Longstreet**, Jackson** and E.Johnston** waiting to form Corps - roughly 10 Divisions of 43600 Inf, 12600 Cav, 206 Guns. A further 2 divisions of 15000 Inf, 1800 Cav and 40 Guns are forming in the rear and will be in the front lines within 30 days.

My question is - are these realistic force levels to be defending with in the early part of 1862? Having not played the game very much I'm wondering if I've completely underestimated the number of troops I'm going to need, particularly in the East. :confused:

Any advice much appreciated! :)

Vegetius
General

Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:50 pm

facmanpob wrote:My question is - are these realistic force levels to be defending with in the early part of 1862? Having not played the game very much I'm wondering if I've completely underestimated the number of troops I'm going to need, particularly in the East. :confused:

Any advice much appreciated! :)

Hi Facmanpob, concerning your first question, i just can say that i have been playing a game as CSA, we are in end april 64 and i have still a complete division to build to reach the limit of 30, so you've got time !

Concerning the second question,
* Texas : a secondary front wich does not justify large use of troops (not a division anyway), i usually manage it with Missouri and Arkansas, trying to keep as long as i can Springfield, Fayetteville and Fort Smith.

* Missouri : as i said above, try to keep the important towns as long as you can but they will fall if the union is resolute to capture them. Two divisions are a good proportion for defense but Magruder may be more usefull in the East or Kentucky in my opinion.

* Kentucky : i am afraid 4 half powered divisions won't stop Grant when he comes. The union player can build quickly 6 full divisions in this area so that your defense line would easily break. At least 2 additional divisions have to be built here.

* Virginia : i think you should concentrate your power in some strong divisions to hold the key positions, your 10 divisions are only filled with 4.500 each, too weak to stop the Army of the Potomac. I would gather 4 or 5 full divisions in the hands of the best leaders and let the others in rear, waiting for reinforcement.

Just my 2 cents.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:33 pm

For anyone looking for advice on the basics, read Runyan99's thread or its concentration in the wiki.

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:17 am

CWNut77 wrote:I will be starting two threads, for players to discuss their favorite overall strategies with either side. This one is for the CSA. Needless to say, this refers mainly to the main campaign game covering the entire war. While the purpose of this thread is more to discuss GRAND strategy, feel free to discuss finer details as needed.

So, what do YOU do, to win as the CSA?

In PvP - Pray a lot and do as much to screen my movements as much as possible. My last PvP games ended up with CSA losing each time, the last time I won was because my opponent made a catastrophic mistake he had two of his 100,000 armies nearly starve and feeze to death and I picked them off in the spring of 63. A case of he gambled to try and shorten the war, only the weather proved to be particularly nasty and slowed down his escape back to his resupply points. Which I had burned anyway - destroying Yanks depots and extending thier supply lines is essential to any chance of success for CSA I reckon. I preserve my Armies as long as I can and keep them as intact as I can. I do give Forrest and Stuart powerful divisions and also Wheeler if I can for the purpose of wrecking Yank supply lines and choking thier main armies as much as I can.
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”