Jim-NC

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:09 am

Control vs. Loyalty

As can be seen
[ATTACH]7391[/ATTACH]
I have 100% control of Franklin, OH (containing Columbus). I only have 8% loyalty however. The 100% control allows me to move supply through Franklin to other areas (even with a low loyalty). The loyalty effects my ability to get production from this city. Also, if you look, there is a tent in the lower left of the city. This allows me to collect 1 CS point per turn as long as I have control. In the middle of the city is a supply depot (the brown square under the cannon balls). The cannon balls indicate that there is ammunition in the city (651 to be exact). Behind the cannon balls are small brown barrels indicating that there is general supply present (779 to be exact). How is this useful? Look at the attachment below. Marietta has ammo only, while Parkersburg only has general supply.
[ATTACH]7395[/ATTACH]
Attachments
supply.JPG
loyalty 2.JPG
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:19 am

Let's talk entrenchments.

Look at the shot below, I have 4 units completely on the screen. The calvary is at level 2 entrenchments without cannons. Polk is at level 3 entrenchments with cannon (see the black cannon sticking out of his haystacks?). While the single infantry is at a level 4 entrenchment without cannons. While SD Lee (on the bottom) is 4+ (actually he is at level 8) which is represent by the stockade looking thing with a cannon sticking out).
[ATTACH]7397[/ATTACH]

How is this useful? If you look closely in the box for Parkersburg, you can see that there are 2 units, and that they are entrenched to at least level 4, probably 5+. Also, I see that at least one is a unit containing artillery. Since the entrenchments are "in the city" so to speak, both units are garrisoning the city. Which allows me a great chance to sneak in and place the city under siege.
[ATTACH]7396[/ATTACH]
Attachments
entrenchment.JPG
supply.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Detection values

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:30 am

Let's talk detection values. The same values are used for sea and river areas. Looking at the thread "stealth units", you can see my post on the subject. Here is a refresher. Your land units lose 1 detection value for the river next to their area (4 becomes 3 for example). This is important for crossing rivers. Lets look at an example from a game.

[ATTACH]7468[/ATTACH]

As can be seen, there is a CSA calvary unit in Henderson, KY. with a detection value of 5/2. The river area (Evans Ford) next to the calvary has a detection rating of 4/1 (4 for land units, 1 for sea/river units). Per the thread there is an enemy gunboat hanging out there blocking movement. The gunboat must have a hide value of greater than 1 (probably 2). Let's look at a different example.

[ATTACH]7469[/ATTACH]

Fort Morgan, has a detection of 3/4 due to the garrison (standard garrison). This leads to a detection of 2/3 in the sea zone next to it (in this case Ocracoke Inlet). However, the normal detection values are not kept at sea. How so you ask? Well if you look 2 sea/river areas over from your fort, the detection value is 0. :bonk: This means that a ship that is 2 zones away from a fort (read artillery unit) is virtually hidden (detection value of zero). Try it in your game (check the Mississippi river somewhere not next to your forts or artillery)
Attachments
river detection 2.JPG
river detection.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:36 am

Its "Marse" Robert, not Marsh Robert.

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Excellent piece on Detection, Jim!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:19 am

Very nice. :hat:

I have neglected naval detection too long....this clues me in well. I like the stealth concept for goin in invisibly to a "hot LZ". :dada:

Sorry, Tag. I was bein onomatopoetic back then since our example was workin with swamps. ;) :innocent:

Jim-NC

Sea Time

Sat May 02, 2009 4:54 am

Have ya ever wondered about the beautiful seas outside the wonderful CSA? Well have I got a post for you. :mdr: Seriously, however, the question has been raised about keeping ships at sea, and how long you can do it.

[ATTACH]7536[/ATTACH]

Here we have the wonderful Gulf of Mexico, pretty scenic this time of year I hear. But wait, what does my wondering eye spot, but scouting squadron # 2, sailing peacefully around. Note the green arrow. It points to the supplies on the ships (2 ships in the squadron). Right below is the ingame tip stating that I have 32 supply points, and that I use 2 per turn. This means that my ship can stay at sea for 16 turns before running out of supply. :w00t: Now look below, my ships have come in. :thumbsup: And what's this, they brought little Johnnie his musket (Huzzah!). Really it is money and WS. However, they only bring me gifts as long as they are in the blockade box (the game assumes they bring the loot in, and escapes them Yankees).

[ATTACH]7539[/ATTACH]

Now, what happens if they don't get lucky you ask? Well look below at my next 2 pictures. The red arrows show the way. In the first picture, do you see the little icon under the red arrow? That is the battle has occured in the sea zone. Picture 2 shows us report 35/47, which informs us that those sneaky yankees in fleet 9 spotted our valiant boys in Scouting Squadron # 10, and hit 'em 11 times (ouch), we put up a good fight, but only got 1 hit in (apparently they don't cover gunnery in the CSA naval academy) :( . I better be sending squadron 10 back to port for some much needed repairs (and a new load of ammo) :D
[ATTACH]7537[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]7538[/ATTACH]
Attachments
blockade earnings.JPG
sea battle 2.JPG
sea battle 1.JPG
at sea.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Marching to the sound of the guns!

Sat May 02, 2009 5:29 am

Have ya ever wondered about what can happen when you MTSG? What happens to the after battle report? Well wonder no more. We have an exclusive look at a battle with MTSG in all it's glory. Lets meet our contestants.
In this corner, artfully sporting the grey shorts, is none other than that paragon of virtue, that lover of nature, the great, the fantastic E.K. Smith and his Corps (of the Army of Northern Virginia). Let's hear a shout for our hero. And opposite him, we have in the blue corner that snake, that rat, that all around bad apple S. Curtis and his Union Army.

[ATTACH]7547[/ATTACH]

If you look above, you see that I have 4 corps and 1 army around Manassas. Athena has the Union army with 3 corps in Manassas besieging the town. I have decided to send E.K. Smith into the fray. His corps has 4 divisions, containing 70 elements (37 Inf, 4 Sharp, 3 Light Inf, 7 cal, 4 supply, and 15 Art). He has 108 guns, and approx 23,000 men, and 4,000 horses. There is a lone inf reg, and a supply unit (4 elements) in Manassas. To the west of the battle, I have Joe Johnston's corps, and Lee's Army. In the same area as E.K., G Smith has a corps. And last, but not least, Longstreet is to the southwest. My enemy has 1 strong corps (under Hooker), and a lot of weak ones. Hooker's corps has a power of 1778, and the others have 100, 229, and not much in the army). Hooker has 68 elements (from the battle the turn before). Slocum has a corps with a power of 2100 sitting in Alexandria that can help the army.

Now lets look at the picture below. This was taken by our daring photographers during the battle. As you can see, I now have 4 units outside Manassas, with Longstreet on top of the stack. The garrison is still in the town. Joe and his corp has gone missing, as has G. Smith's Corps. They must be under Longstreet, in the area (after having MTSG). The union has fled the area.

[ATTACH]7548[/ATTACH]

Let's look at the results of this battle. In the picture below, you can see that all 4 of my corps took part in the battle.

[ATTACH]7549[/ATTACH]

In the picture below, you can see the results of the battle (a great victory for me :D Please note, that the results only show my original attacking force (plus the garrison). How do I know? Look at the cannon numbers (the corps had 108 cannons (using the CTRL key), and the results show 109). It also shows that the Union had 58,000 men, but took 13,500+ casualties. The after battle report makes no mention of the help of the other 3 corps that E.K. Smith received. [color="Red"]EDIT - DO NOT CLICK LINK, SEE BELOW POST[/color]

[ATTACH]7543[/ATTACH]

Look below, and you see that Slocum has joined his fellows. He probably MTSG in support of the union army being stormed. How do I know this? Look at his new power level (it was 2100 before the storm, and now sits at 1695 (an almost 20% reduction). Hooker took a 20% reduction in power as well after the battle.
[ATTACH]7544[/ATTACH]

The file below also shows that G. Smith's corps was in the thick of the battle, just look at that damage to his units. But he duly marched back to his starting area, and re-entered his trenches.
[ATTACH]7545[/ATTACH]

Here is the results of the next turn where I smashed the union army in Manassas. Note, that the troop levels are much higher for the union (as all units started in the area)
[ATTACH]7546[/ATTACH]

Hope you have found this entertaining, and informative as well.

edit - oops, I have too many attachments. I will be loading 1 below.
Attachments
after battle 1.JPG
mid battle.JPG
Before battle.JPG
after second battle.JPG
after battle 4.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Sat May 02, 2009 5:33 am

Attachment 7543

[ATTACH]7550[/ATTACH]

Attachment 7544
[ATTACH]7552[/ATTACH]
Attachments
after battle 3.JPG
after battle 2.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Intellitip #10 or thereabouts

Tue May 05, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks Jim,

You’re bringing a lot of ideas and wisdom to a lot of Johnnies and Bluebellies here. Good stuff. ;)

Hope to hear from a lot of you others out there. C’mon. Step right up. Don't be bashful.
:w00t:

There’s lot more on intelligence to share.

And so today’s intellitip is on our intelligence corps’ finest…..right, Cpt Cav? :thumbsup:

The dashing young men in the CAVALRY. :dada:

And now, as Paul Harvey used to say, the rest of the story:

Intelllitip # 10…All cavalry is not created equal. Nor does it operate equally.

Take a look at this fine specimen of cavalry.
[ATTACH]7595[/ATTACH]

The 4th Virginia cavalry. Looks like any other cavalry. But it’s not. Nope. Nada.

Contrast it with this brigade embedded cavalry, Campbell Rangers.
[ATTACH]7593[/ATTACH]

Notice the difference,yet? It’s circled in red.

Well, the 4th Cav’s detection rating is good. It’s a four. But if you want the really extra juicy power numbers of the Yankees consistently, count on Campbell to bring home the soup and the bacon. He’s rated a five. Both are fine cavalry. One is just a bit more skilled at intelligence ops. And by the way. Extra experience doesn’t seem to change this trait. So more often isn't neccessarily better. So notice who you’re you’re sending to encircle the Yankee lines before you do it. You could be glad you did.

And here’s another part of this intellitip. Tired of losing so much cavalry on its wild rides behind enemy lines? Got tired, run down blood (oops wrong commericial, sorry) :neener:

C’mon. Admit it. Sure ya are. There just aren’t enough conscipts to keep trainin new cavalry every month. And the horses are tired of switchin sides.

So what can you do to prevent cavalry losses? Well for one thing, quit riding ‘em up to the general’s front door. Sure CSA’s Moseby did it often. Even captured his father (with) his boots in Arlington proper, I hear tell. But Moseby was a stallion. One of a kind. You and I gotta work with more regular folk. So start ridin in the region NEXT to the general and his corps. You’ll still get good intell.

And what else can we do? Well, fortunately, plenty.

Here’s our friends, the 4th Va Cav again. Notice their evasion rating. A twelve.

[ATTACH]7596[/ATTACH]

Now watch what happens when I hitch them up to a dashing confederate gentleman general (as a brigade). Presto!

[ATTACH]7594[/ATTACH]

Look at the 4th Va Cav’s evasion rating. See the difference. Originally 12, now 25. Now they'll come back lots more often and you won't have 10 generals mopin around in Richmond anymore with nothin to do.

Now you know why Southern Belles prefer hard ridin Southern Generals 3-1. They keep comin back to tell such interesting tales at their dances and are they ever so dashing! :p apy:

Opps I mean :cwboy: Happy Ridin Ya'll!
Attachments
Evasion 12.jpg
Detection 4.jpg
Evason 25.jpg
Detection 5.jpg

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Ps--

Tue May 05, 2009 2:32 am

And while I can already hear the grognard groans in the back row...

Now Announcing.....

....................coming soon to a stable/military college near you

................................SkyWest's TacTips..........................

Why?

Because as the Dutch Mata Hari knew all too well......

....................ALL generals have secrets to share :D

See you there SOON!

cmdrsam
Corporal

Tue May 05, 2009 3:04 am

Good stuff Sky, Thanks for these tips.

cptcav
Lieutenant

Tue May 05, 2009 8:02 pm

SkyWestNM wrote:And so today’s intellitip is on our intelligence corps’ finest…..right, Cpt Cav? :thumbsup:

The dashing young men in the CAVALRY. :dada:

If you ain't Cav, you ain't sh*t!!! :dada:

Regards,
CptCav

DaemoneIsos
Sergeant

Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:34 pm

cmdrsam wrote:Good stuff Sky, Thanks for these tips.

+1

Thanks, -D

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Found this by a recent link in a Jim-NC post.

I'd like to nominate it for sticky status. :thumbsup:

lodilefty

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:21 pm

willgamer wrote:Found this by a recent link in a Jim-NC post.

I'd like to nominate it for sticky status. :thumbsup:

Good find! :w00t:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

plau011
Conscript

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 am

This is a great post. Learning a lot! One thing I asked in another post that maybe I didn't make very clear was gathering information from the little bars at the bottom of the unit. So here eventhough you DON'T have the power numbers with the intellitip you still see 2 bars at the bottom.
SkyWestNM wrote:[ATTACH]6945[/ATTACH]

Does this mean anything? I know that is suppose to signify the power of the unit, but since you don't have that information, is this valid?
So does the Crittendum force farther north. The force farther to the East has 5 bars at the bottom. I don't know what each bar means but is this a valid way to gather intel?

----
A bit off topic, but what does the icon mean by the Cond. force slightly West of Augusta in the above link? The one with the soldiers and it looks like a scissors underneath or an X.

The other icons I think I know what they mean. They are in Offensive Posture, but will Evade Fight(? sort of strange). That one force actually has the evade icon twice.

Thanks

Jim-NC

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 am

I assume you are talking about the green colored dots at the bottom of the portrait of the unit. In normal mode, that is how many "units" are in the stack (so 2 green dots means 2 units). Do not get confused with elements, the game considers 1 division to be 1 unit, which is quite different from a single element militia unit. When the supply filter is on, the colors indicate level of supply.

The little icons on top tell you about your forces. Holmes in the south has a picture of a man behind entrenchments (as the force is entrenched), and tracks with an arrow (meaning he will move by rail), IIRC, the guy with the red arrow going around him is the avoid combat, and the scissors with the man is either join a force or don't join (I can't remember which is which right now). You only see these icons for your forces.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WildCat
Conscript

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 am

Thank you for this thread. I'm learning an awful lot reading these posts, which is otherwise so easy to miss. It's a heck of a sight easier (and more enjoyable) when you know how to make sense of the information you're seeing!

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”