rick6840
Conscript

Creating Corps and Armies

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:29 pm

First I would like to thank everyone who helped me before when I could not figure out how to create divisions. Now, again I am having problems. I have the divisions, but now I cannot figure out how to create Corps and Armies. I follow the instructions in the book, but somehow I think they are incomplete, because it does not work. So again I am asking my fellow gamers who are smarter than me to walk me through the process to create Corps and Armies. I am looking forward to hearing from the smart people! :wacko:

Major Tom
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:37 pm

rick6840 wrote:First I would like to thank everyone who helped me before when I could not figure out how to create divisions. Now, again I am having problems. I have the divisions, but now I cannot figure out how to create Corps and Armies. I follow the instructions in the book, but somehow I think they are incomplete, because it does not work. So again I am asking my fellow gamers who are smarter than me to walk me through the process to create Corps and Armies. I am looking forward to hearing from the smart people! :wacko:

What scenario are you playing? As of the 1.13 patch, in the 1861 scenarios corps cannot be created until early March, 1862.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

rick6840
Conscript

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:44 pm

I am already in 1863 and still cannot figure out how to build my Corps and Armies.

cmurphy625
Private

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:03 am

Army's need an HQ and a 3 star General, you also need to use the one with the most seniority, so that you don't suffer penalty.. You can search your roster on 3 star generals and then click on Seniority to sort by that. Create and HQ and move it to the same location as your potential General

Corp's need a two star general at least.. hold your mouse over the icon to make sure that his is activated (you probably know this from creating divisions).. I would assume the Corp needs to be within the Operating Range of the Army to be created. You can tell this by clicking on the army and holding the shift key down.

I'm a noob too.. but this is an awesome game and a great forum!!... Keep at it!

Major Tom
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:40 am

Also -- the leader you want to turn into a corps commander cannot have an attached division - if he has one, you need to empty him first.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Armies are formed by putting an Army HQ unit in the same stack as a 3-star general (As afformentioned...best to stick with the most senior 3-star general each time you form an army to avoid any penalties.) Once you have them in the same stack, click on the middle tab of the orders interface (the same tab used to form divisions). There you will see a button that will allow you to form an army with that general and his accompanying Army HQ unit. Click that button and voila...you have your first army.

NOW...

Corps are formed with 2-star leaders that are within range of an Army Commander's "Command Radius". Unlike division commanders, I don't believe a general has to be active in order to form a Corps. When a 2-star leader's stack is within range of an Army HQ, you have it selected and you look again at that middle tab...there should be an option to form a Corps. Click the button...and voila...you have a Corps!

Now...the fun part is how you put together each of your corps. Do you put the standard 2 or 3 divisions in it...do you use Corps artillery...do you accompany the corps with a unit or two of cavalry...or perhaps do you jam 5 divisions into a stack with "Stonewall" Jackson and wreak havoc on your enemies! :) . It's really a key part of what makes this game so fun.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

kwhitehead
Sergeant

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:45 pm

Probably the step you are missing is you have to go to the "Reinforcement" screen and under support units select "Army HQ" to be built. It will then show up (I think always in Washington) as a locked unit waiting for it to build up. I am not sure how many turns that is. After its released you can finally move the HQ to whatever region you want to start your army in and send it a leader.

Sarkus
Corporal

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 am

kwhitehead wrote:Probably the step you are missing is you have to go to the "Reinforcement" screen and under support units select "Army HQ" to be built. It will then show up (I think always in Washington) as a locked unit waiting for it to build up. I am not sure how many turns that is. After its released you can finally move the HQ to whatever region you want to start your army in and send it a leader.

They can show up in other cities, just like all the HQ type units (doctors, engineers, etc.)

I think what is confusing is that the game gives you a few 3 star guys to start that already have army HQ's attached (McDowell for the Union for sure) and so it isn't always obvious that you actually have to buy the HQ unit as a reinforcement, wait for it to form (which takes a few turns) and then move it and attach it to the general you want to form the army around. It's very easy to think that all three stars are just like the ones you start with.

One other thing to remember is that a general with an army HQ attached has higher command points so he can directly command what amounts to a super-sized indpendent corps if you stick a bunch of divisions inside of him. This is why McDowell can be valuable in 1861 before the game lets you create corps that attach to armies.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Sarkus wrote: -snip- One other thing to remember is that a general with an army HQ attached has higher command points so he can directly command what amounts to a super-sized indpendent corps if you stick a bunch of divisions inside of him. This is why McDowell can be valuable in 1861 before the game lets you create corps that attach to armies. -snip-

This is slightly misleading as Armies require 4 cp, and corps require zero.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:18 pm

A comment about Sarkus's point on Army HQ's and their capacity early in the game with the new "non-corps" rules.

I agree. I think it's advantageous to have an Army HQ with several divisions attached. It gives you some punch all in one place. Once you reach more than 4 divisions though...unless you have a signal unit...that's probably when you want to start thinking about creating Corps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

rick6840
Conscript

Thank You

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:56 pm

I just want to say thanks to everyone for your input, one day I amy get good at this game :thumbsup:

Jim-NC

Speaking of Corps/Armies

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:22 pm

I have a question about corps/armies. How many corps can an army lead? and what is it dependant upon?

Evren

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Jim-NC wrote:I have a question about corps/armies. How many corps can an army lead? and what is it dependant upon?

I guess the number is equal to the strategic rating of the army commander+6 .

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Divisions

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:58 am

Has there been some change to the Division creation criteria? I just tried to form some divisions though the Division creation icon was active and I had the resources to create the 3 divisions in late june 61.

I have been reading about Corps creation rules changes but it seems a little confusing from what I have read in the threads here!
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Gray_Lensman

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:17 am

deleted

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:58 am

Lensman!

Ta for the info. I understand the Corps rule now. It is the situation with divisions that is causing me concern as I tried to create some diviosions in my latest game and it did not happen despite having the resources to do so. The create divisions icon also being active.
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"

Gray_Lensman

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 am

deleted

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:I added an edit above. You probably had reached the limit in Late June, which changes in Early July. The tooltips are not so clear about this in v1.13b. The tooltips have also been changed for the next update (not released yet)

Yip I had forgotten about the limit - doh :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: Thats what happens when you take a long break from playing game.

KCDennis
Corporal

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Major Tom wrote:Also -- the leader you want to turn into a corps commander cannot have an attached division - if he has one, you need to empty him first.

Is this correct? I transferred Slocum's (promoted to 2 stars) division to a Corps led by Crittenden, and Slocum took over command of the Corps (because of higher seniority) and he still retains commands his division. Is there a disadvantage to having your corps commander lead a division?
Along similar lines is this correct: a 1 star general leading a division can be promoted to 2 stars and retain command of the division, but a 2 star general can not form a new division?
"Wars make the decisions; diplomacy merely records them."
A.J.P. Taylor

Le Ricain

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:02 pm

KCDennis wrote:Is this correct? I transferred Slocum's (promoted to 2 stars) division to a Corps led by Crittenden, and Slocum took over command of the Corps (because of higher seniority) and he still retains commands his division. Is there a disadvantage to having your corps commander lead a division?
Along similar lines is this correct: a 1 star general leading a division can be promoted to 2 stars and retain command of the division, but a 2 star general can not form a new division?

The more senior 2* general in a corps stack takes command of the corps. This senior 2* could be in command of a division. In which case he now commands both.

The disadvantage is that the corps commander passes a certain % of his traits to his divisions. I believe that the % is either 3% or 5%. If the corps commander also commands a division he can not pass any of his traits to his division.

A 2* general can form a new division.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

KCDennis
Corporal

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Okay, found the right spot in the manual, and as you said it's a 5% per point bonus. So if Slocum is a 3-3-3 the division he leads as a corps leader would get a 15% boost. But if that division is turned over to any 3-1-1 general, the bonus would be 20% (15% from Slocum, 5% from div gen)?? Do I understand that right?

A.J.P. Taylor

Le Ricain

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:51 am

KCDennis wrote:Okay, found the right spot in the manual, and as you said it's a 5% per point bonus. So if Slocum is a 3-3-3 the division he leads as a corps leader would get a 15% boost. But if that division is turned over to any 3-1-1 general, the bonus would be 20% (15% from Slocum, 5% from div gen)?? Do I understand that right?

You almost have it right. As division commander Slocum gives his division a 3% combat bonus per off/def rating. If he was the corps (or stack) commander he would give his divisions a 5% combat bonus per off/def rating.

However, if Slocum is both division and corps commander, he gives his division only the 3% combat bonus per rating.

In summary

Slocum as Division Commander - 9% off/9% def bonus to his division + Corps commander bonus
Slocum as Corps Commander - 15% off/ 15% def bonus to his divisions + Division Commander bonus
Slocum as Corps/Div Commander - 9% off/9% def bonus to his division
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:45 pm

Le Ricain wrote:In summary

Slocum as Division Commander - 9% off/9% def bonus to his division + Corps commander bonus
Slocum as Corps Commander - 15% off/ 15% def bonus to his divisions + Division Commander bonus
Slocum as Corps/Div Commander - 9% off/9% def bonus to his division

In further summary, use your best generals as corps commanders rather than division commanders when possible.

KCDennis
Corporal

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:23 pm

Understood. Thanks for the clear explanation.

A.J.P. Taylor

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”