Leeds
Corporal

Reinforcement - Optimal Builds and Unit Explanation

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:31 pm

As the Union player, what should I focus on or reinforcements.....

* Elite, Line or Light Infantry (whats the timeframe to build difference, etc)
* Skirmishers (what advantage do they provide and why do I need?)
* Light, Field or Heavy Artillery?

Lastly, what is a service asset?

Thanks

soloswolf
General of the Army

Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Union or Confederate, this all works the same.

All of the types you mentioned are categories of troops. For a given type of troop to receive replacements you need to have some of that type in your pool. Service assets are the replacements for your engineers, medicals, etc.

They all build in one turn, the only thing that separates them is cost.

Typically you will need many more line infantry and field artillery from their respective branches.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Jabberwock

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Elite infantry is provided by event, the only elite infantry you can build is marines.

Skirmishers aka sharpshooters provide a combat initiative bonus to whatever unit they are part of. Elite units provided by event will often include a sharpshooter element. Add one of these units or an independent sharpshooter regiment to every division.

By the category names you are using, I can tell you are looking at the replacement screen. A rule-of-thumb for the standard attrition option is to have replacements available equal to 10% of your regiments (batteries, battalions, etc.) in the field. In some cases that is overkill, but hey, it's a rule-of-thumb. Have at least one replacement available for each category that has units in the field. For "historical" attrition, just stick with one of each, and use the reinforcements screen to create new units beyond that.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”