Redeemer
Major

My first PBEM game was an eye opener!

Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:42 pm

I just played my first PBEM game and wow. I knew I was going to get beat, but I didn't expect to get steam rollered. I played the Union, and the CSA out built me in army and navy, ran all over the place with their super soldiers, and basically won every battle no matter what the odds. They even maxed out the foreign entry with every politcs event and they had the British and French within a year. It is mid 1863 and everything between Indianpolis and the Rockies is gone. Delaware is gone, Washington is almost surrounded, and the British have most of NY.

I didn't think I was a poor player, I could beat the AI on any setting (I know, not that hard), but how do you stop this CSA bull rush?

Mickey3D

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:22 pm

Hello Redeemer,

There is some material that could give you good advices to begin with :

But above all : Don't expect a human player to act as AI ! I haven't play against the AI for long but I'm sure that, even with the latest improvement, it is no match compare to a human.

CSA out built me in army and navy

When recruiting or raising money, there is several level. Are you sure that you're using the highest one ?

Redeemer
Major

Thanks Mickey

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:05 am

I've read all the guides, I know how to right click through the options to get higher mobilizations and money, etc. I've been playing the game since it came out in the US. Like I said, I did expect to loose my first PBEM game, I knew a human player would not be the same and I know several of the mistakes I made. Reality just happen to blow me away. I was just not prepared for how strong the CSA can be right up front.

Cairo can fall before the USA can even purchase units. Also gobs of cavalry rush your depots and strategic cities before purchased units can come online and move to the vunerable points. I've never seen so many destroyed depots and railways :blink:

Before I got my first river naval units by events, the CSA had at least 10 gb and 5 river trans. He could attack anywhere with greater numbers than I could pump out even with the max mobilizations and money.

He would win battles even when attacking at 1:2 odds, during winter and across rivers. If I tried the same thing at 2:1 or 3:1 odds, I would loose. I can think of two major battles that he lost costing him about 1 div each time, but the rest of the battles were all lost.

A CSA naval landing in Delaware was also a surprise. Along with the 10+ ironclads he had on the VA coast to protech the landing in early 62' no less.

Regardless, I'm not complaining, just voicing my bewilderment at the pounding :bonk:

So, since this is a strategy forum:

How do you protect cairo against a cav rush before you can recruit?

How do you protect against a general CSA rush first thing whos objective is to destroy your supply network? Militia doesn't cut it.

I also lost Ft Pickens and Ft Monroe early. I considered this a minor thing considering the pounding I was taking out west anyway. Is it really worth reinforcing either? I did not.

Mickey3D

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:41 am

Seems you fought against a veteran : give me his name so I will avoid any game with him ;)

I'm not a very experimented player but here are my comments (please forgive my "rusty" english.). More "seasoned" players will correct me.

How do you protect cairo against a cav rush before you can recruit?

Cairo is a weak point for USA. I don't know an infallible way of preventing its capture at the beginning of the game. You should send troops as soon as possible to retake it (or defend the city if CSA is too slow). As far as I know, depots destruction is not automatic and sometimes it can require several turns to destroy one.

How do you protect against a general CSA rush first thing whos objective is to destroy your supply network? Militia doesn't cut it.

At the beginning of the game a militia unit inside a city in "defense to the last man" stance can easily repulse cavalry attack (but CSA can group several cavalry units to have higher power...you'll have to adapt).
Defend depots and strategic cities first. Use train to move your militia in order to prevent CSA cavalry from aquiring supply in small cities (but don't stick to them once danger is away, it's a kind of "fast intervention force").
Use part of your cavalry to chase down ennemy cavalry (the other part can do its own scouting and destruction work in CSA states). In previous version (not sure it's working with version 1.12) you could drag a friendly unit on an ennemy one and this would instruct your troops to follow the ennemy wherever it goes.

I also lost Ft Pickens and Ft Monroe early. I considered this a minor thing considering the pounding I was taking out west anyway. Is it really worth reinforcing either? I did not.

While occupying Fort Monroe, you threaten Norfolk and James river is open to you (well you still have to pass the Norfolk guns). I would renforce it but I would not defend it at all cost.
Ft Pickens is a beachhead toward Pensacola but there is plenty of other places where USA can land. So I would not defend it.

Before I got my first river naval units by events, the CSA had at least 10 gb and 5 river trans. He could attack anywhere with greater numbers than I could pump out even with the max mobilizations and money.

:confused: Couldn't you build your own fleet ?

He would win battles even when attacking at 1:2 odds, during winter and across rivers. If I tried the same thing at 2:1 or 3:1 odds, I would loose. I can think of two major battles that he lost costing him about 1 div each time, but the rest of the battles were all lost.

We need more details on the battles as result is dependent on several factors : leaders, organization, cohesion, supply, ...

A CSA naval landing in Delaware was also a surprise. Along with the 10+ ironclads he had on the VA coast to protech the landing in early 62' no less.

Interesting strategy :sourcil: But I hardly understand how CSA could build a huge fleet, lands in Delaware with significant forces and still be dangerous on the Rappahannock/Potomac :wacko: Do you (or your opponent) have the backup of your turns ? I would be very interested in having a look at them.

Redeemer
Major

Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:13 am

I have the last 25 turn files and my order files, but not his.

Coffee Sergeant
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:13 am

Buy militia to protect those depots. They build fast (next turn) Yes some of them will still fall(I don't think Grafton, WV can be saved, though its not really a big deal). But he can only go far with lone calvary regiments, which will have a tough time beating entrenched militia.

And there's no reason you can't do the same thing to the CSA. Give 'em a taste of their own medicine. Rip up his rails and blow his depots see how much he likes it.

Jarkko
Colonel

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:23 pm

Redeemer, I believe you got fooled to play with historical strategies and tactics. One easily falls to that trap because the game at first glance appears historical, but if you want to play it competetively, forget about history. Ahistorical strategies and troop-compositions is the way to go in this game :)

1) You are going to lose Cairo, and there is nothing you can do to stop that. Plan your moves with that in mind.

2) First round you need to recruit militia and cavalry. Militia to garrison towns, cavalry to raid behind enemy lines.

3) Second round and there after you need to recruit in bunches of 8 militia, 9 artillery and 1 sharpshooter (and form them up to independent divisions). Forget everything else: You want militia, artillery and sharpshooters. Notice all those fancy brigades with fancy troops? They are there to distract new players, so stay well clear of them.

4) Dig in the independent dvisions at key locations. They'll be able to take care of themselves. What ever you do, don't attack until -62 earliest.

5) Your railroads will be blown up by enemy cavalry. Depots you do not garrison will be blown up. Again, there is nothing you can do about that, except fight fire with fire. Remember the cavalry you recruited above? Send them as single regiments to blow up CSA railroads and depots. USA will win the war of attrition in the end, and there are no bad consequenses for the guerilla war. Guerilla war is the way the game is won :) Who blows up more places wins.

6) You get a humongous fleet in the Atlantic boxes. They are total waste of space there. Bring them to the coast and patrol around enemy forts, and whatever you do, do not place them under the command of an admiral who is any good at evading: You do *not* want them to evade, you want them to nuke the forts. Best thing that could happen is that CSA takes one of the forts you have, and your fleet arrives to the scene to turn them to dust (despite the game engine attempting to evade with the fleet, you will not fail (ie evade) every time). By the end of 1861 you have nuked every coastal fort, and there is nothing the CSA can do about that.

7) Garrison the (now empty) coastal forts with single militias. Pray that the CSA player is stupid enough to attack them with a real force, because then your fleet can again "accidently" kill the bunch. The fort is a trap and the single militia is the sacrifice lamb.

8) If the CSA player doesn't take the bait at the forts, send out single militias from the coastal forts. Their task: Blow up and burn everything they can.

9) In the east recruit some more militia and artillery (and sharpshooters). In summer -62 you can start thinking of maybe taking some offensive actions, preferably delay that to -63 though. In west you can take a bit more active role, your first goal should be to retake Cairo, because that will stop CSA from using the river for deep-raids.

10) Never ever, *NEVER*, suppress local population. There is *no* good reason to go for martial law etc, only bad reasons (the consequenses are *really* bad). If you have commanders who automatically announce martial law, be sure to only use him in areas which are already loyal to you. The option to oppress civilians is there so that new players can make it easier for the more experienced opponent to win.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Redeemer
Major

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Jarkko wrote:Redeemer, I believe you got fooled to play with historical strategies and tactics. One easily falls to that trap because the game at first glance appears historical, but if you want to play it competetively, forget about history. Ahistorical strategies and troop-compositions is the way to go in this game :) .

I just learned that the hard way :D He took the initiative first turn and I never got it back.

Jarkko wrote:6) You get a humongous fleet in the Atlantic boxes. They are total waste of space there. Bring them to the coast and patrol around enemy forts, and whatever you do, do not place them under the command of an admiral who is any good at evading: You do *not* want them to evade, you want them to nuke the forts. Best thing that could happen is that CSA takes one of the forts you have, and your fleet arrives to the scene to turn them to dust (despite the game engine attempting to evade with the fleet, you will not fail (ie evade) every time). By the end of 1861 you have nuked every coastal fort, and there is nothing the CSA can do about that.

Ok, all the rest made sense, but this one I am scratching my head at :confused: Every time I ever send a fleet next to a fort I usually come up on the wrong end of the stick (using v1.12) what orders do you give the fleets to accomplish this?

Thanks.

PS: How big a force do you need to send around Richmond to avoid the -10 morale hit for lack of offensive?

Redeemer
Major

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:28 pm

Whoops, two other questions.

1) I noticed your initial divisions have no cavalry. Doesn't this keep them from finding the raiding cav you want to kill? and how do you feel about replacing one of the militia with a marine?

2) Do you buy replacements as Union or continue to just buy new units and swap them with used up units as necessary?

Mickey3D

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:56 pm

1) I noticed your initial divisions have no cavalry. Doesn't this keep them from finding the raiding cav you want to kill?

Don't use divisions to chase lonely raiding cavalry, it's a waste of resources. moreover. because of infantry, they are too slow.

Redeemer
Major

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:34 pm

Mickey3D wrote:Don't use divisions to chase lonely raiding cavalry, it's a waste of resources. moreover. because of infantry, they are too slow.

What I meant is if the enemy cav travel through a region with one of these divisions, will they even be able to find it to engage.

Jarkko
Colonel

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:34 am

Redeemer, give your fleet orders to move back and forth around a fort. Also, be sure to that you are using a big fleet with lots of ships, it's all or nothing. If you send in small fleets to do the fort runs, *you* will be the one taking the beating.

Regarding raiding cavalry: In my experience there is *no* efficient way to capture raiding cavalry. You have to use lots of more cavalry to be able to catch a lone raider. Much more efficient to give back the same medicine: Send your cavalry to raid down south to cause havoc there. The CSA player will be blowing up his own railroads for warsupplies, so it is better that you do it first (and of course, if possible, you should/could blow up the main bloodlines of South so that railmovement is hampered seriously). In north make sure every city has a militia garrison, and the key locations (where the CSA player might push harder for) entrench in a heavy infantry-artillery division, and let the country-side burn.

Regarding Richmond and the 10 NM hit, personally I consider that a lost case. No use really trying to avoid that hit. Sure, you could send in lone regiments with evade orders in summer -61, but it will be a kamikaze, and those 10 regiments would have been better used as garrisons against raiders.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Redeemer
Major

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:11 pm

Stupid question, but if a player mods his game and the other one doesn't, can they still play PBEM? and if so, does the mod effect the game?

Gray_Lensman

Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:36 pm

deleted

Redeemer
Major

Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:48 am

I don't mean to seem suspicious, but how do you know if your opponent hasn't modded their game to increase mobilization or money then??

Gray_Lensman

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:23 am

deleted

Redeemer
Major

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:10 am

When playing a PBEM game, are the foreign entry variables different? I've played two PBEM games as the Union and the CSA has maxed out the cotton embargo numbers almost every time, while blockade goes against me big every time and he gets foreign entry by mid 62'

Rafiki

Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:06 am

There is no difference in the game mechanics between PBEM and solo play.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:06 am

Redeemer wrote:I don't mean to seem suspicious, but how do you know if your opponent hasn't modded their game to increase mobilization or money then??

What is important is: what is the data set on the hosting machine. You can as the non-hosting player tweak the options as you wish, it does not matter. Because the game engine is a simultaneous turn based one, it is functioning in effect as a client/server program.

Make a test. Change the speed of one of your troop to 1000%, then plan a move. Now, host your turn with another, unaltered copy of the game. You will see that your unit will move at the speed dictated by the data on the hosting copy of the game, not on the one you altered. Same for options etc.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Awwhegoboom
Conscript

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:00 pm

Just a quick note to say that I have found this to be (one of) the most beneficial threads (for my learning curve) that I have yet read.

Thank you all. Great strategy / guidance.
Just when you think things are going well .......... :(

Redeemer
Major

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Pocus wrote:What is important is: what is the data set on the hosting machine. You can as the non-hosting player tweak the options as you wish, it does not matter. Because the game engine is a simultaneous turn based one, it is functioning in effect as a client/server program.

Make a test. Change the speed of one of your troop to 1000%, then plan a move. Now, host your turn with another, unaltered copy of the game. You will see that your unit will move at the speed dictated by the data on the hosting copy of the game, not on the one you altered. Same for options etc.

So are you saying that the only mods would show up from the hosting machine?

Redeemer
Major

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Awwhegoboom wrote:Just a quick note to say that I have found this to be (one of) the most beneficial threads (for my learning curve) that I have yet read.

Thank you all. Great strategy / guidance.

Ditto, like I said earlier, I've been playing the AI from day one, but the learning curve this last week has been astronomical.

Redeemer
Major

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:24 pm

While we're at it, I have another question. :neener: Do multiple leaders in fleets have any effect? I assume putting Dalhgren with Farragut would still give the naval stack Dahlgren's artillery ability, but is there any other benefit since fleets don't seem to use CP?

FM WarB
Colonel

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Jarkko wrote:Redeemer, I believe you got fooled to play with historical strategies and tactics. One easily falls to that trap because the game at first glance appears historical, but if you want to play it competetively, forget about history. Ahistorical strategies and troop-compositions is the way to go in this game :)

This says it ALL. And U.S. Grant got his start in Cairo.
Happy Holidays.

ghostlight
Private

Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:18 am

Jarkko wrote:The CSA player will be blowing up his own railroads for warsupplies, so it is better that you do it first (and of course, if possible, you should/could blow up the main bloodlines of South so that railmovement is hampered seriously).

Could someone expand on this a little? There's a WS benefit from reducing the amount of railroad you have?

Rafiki

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:57 am

Yes, by demolishing your railroads, you get materials to for war supplies, which you in turn can use to buy reinforcements and suchlike.

It's not much you get, though. I think something like 2 WS per region you blow up yourself.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Mickey3D

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Hello Redeemer,

I had a look at the files you sent me. Here are some comments and advices :

1) One Sharpshooter per division and only one : a sharpshooter gives its ability to the whole division so it is better used in a division than outside. A second sharpshooters in the same division won't add any benefit so it's a waste.

2) Unit whose name is on a red background are still in training : keep them in towns in passive mode so they will be ready faster and do not mix them with already trained units with other orders.

3) Siege artillery is of little use and will slow your move : personally I don't buy them.

4) There is a saying stating that troops inside a city are dead troops ... but when you want to defend with militia against cavalry raid it's not true : To have a chance to take a city CSA has to have at least a 3 to 1 ratio if your militia is defending "to the last man" and he can't set the siege as he would be out of supply very soon. Moreover, your militia in the town/city will immediately benefit from the cover, it don't have to wait to be entrenched.

5) Your troops seem to often be exhausted (low cohesion) : do not order them to do long move (more than 15 days) but prefer shorter deplacements that allow them to rest a few days each turn (I don't know the actual reason of their low cohesion but this could be an explanation).

6) Try to compose division as near as possible to the 17 elements limit. I saw sometimes uncomplete division and in the same region a detachment with 35% malus due to lack of leader. Or worst :
[CENTER][ATTACH]5429[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Artillery should be incorported into division to avoid command penality.

7) build division ! it's better to have 10% percent malus (or 0% with the trick explained below) than 30% for a detachment.

8) You have plenty of officers in washington : they should be commanding unit to prevent command penalties. By example, there is a trick to prevent the 10% penalities for independant division, add a leader to the group (see examples below).
[CENTER][ATTACH]5427[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

9) McClellan is a crap ! Give him an army command so he won't complain if another commander is promoted to army command but never give him any corps.

10) 2 stars officers should be in command of a corps not of a division.

11) You lacked of army in TransMississippi and Western theater for long. When one was created, Fremont was put in command instead of Lyon. If preseance could make you loose victory and moral points, give a fake command (i.e. an HQ but no troops) to the bad officer and create another army for the good one. And sometimes it's better to loose a few points (victory and/or moral) to put Grant in command.

12) In summer 62 when South was invading Illinois and Indiana there was only independant divisions to face it. No army means no corps and no corps means no "march to the sound of gun" and no coordinated move. Both of them (especially the first one) are powerful tools when you have leaders like Lyon, Grant, Thomas.

13) You sometimes set division or corps in passive mode while in danger of being attacked (i.e. in the vicinity of ennemy troops) : when in passive mode, a unit have a better chance to retreat but if engaged in fight it endures penalities (If the goal is to avoid fight I prefer to give them the order : defense + retreat if engaged).

14) Do not move inactive general (I mean they can't attack, see below for example) in region occupied by ennemy : if they fight they will endure a penality !
[CENTER][ATTACH]5428[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

15) You had lonely ships in the chesapeake bay : if attacked they will be no match and moreover alone they can't set a blocus on Delaware harbor to cut CSA supply.

16) Check you supply satus ! In September 62 you loose 3 divisions due to supply shortage (your opponent was perhaps a little bit lucky on this one) : click on the supply tool [ATTACH]5425[/ATTACH] and the color at the base of your troop [ATTACH]5426[/ATTACH] will change showing their supply status. If orange or red, it's time to find food for your men !

If a point is not clear, let me know I'll try to explain it.
Attachments
GroupTroopsIntoDivision2.jpg
Inactif.jpg
DivisionSansMalus.jpg
SupplyStatus_2.jpg
SupplyStatus_1.jpg

dribrats
Civilian

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

To Mickey3D and all the rest: I really appreciate the great information in this thread. Reedemer: I'm grateful to you for having kicked this off and for sending your files to Mickey3D. Happy New Year everyone.

Redeemer
Major

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks again guys for all the replies. I just finished my second PBEM game and I did a little better, but still lost at the end. This time I hosted and was able to look at the CSA side at after we finished. I was astounded by the shear size of the CSA army and navy. On the objectives screne for the total combat loses (I know this doens't translate exactly to the hit points used by the game) it says I took 511881 and the enemy 504736, which was pretty good I thought. Then I look at the replacement screens. When I looked at the numbers of the elements already on the map, the difference between us was quite significant. As the Union, I had 50 elite, 191 line, 15 light, 20 skirmisher, 116 militia, 59 cav, 48 lgt art, 79 field art, etc. The CSA had, 29 elite, 350! line, 6 light, 26 skirmishers, 13 raider, 124 militia, 41 lgt art, 141! field art, etc. Plus, he had a huge navy, 35+ ironclads, many many gunboats and transports, and a sizable ocean navy too.

Give how close the casualities were, how does the CSA build an army almost twice the size of the Union? And where did the get the steel and production capacity to build all the artillery and the navy?

Maqver
Corporal

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Give how close the casualities were, how does the CSA build an army almost twice the size of the Union? And where did the get the steel and production capacity to build all the artillery and the navy?

Yup. This has happened to me as well. Ridiculous ain't it?

He probably rush built nothing but militia - they convert to line infantry very quickly - while you probably built a lot of regular line units.

There is also a way the CSA player can get more WS than was historicaly possible as well, IMO, but I haven't figured that one out yet (other than buying the militia as mentioned). My CSA opponent also had a lot of ships and as much artillery!

Also, the CSA player will have had higher NM and probably used his financial and draft screens efficiently.

So the game just turns into rushing a bunch of militia. Next time you play you should try and establish what the policy is on that or hope for a future patch that fixes it.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”