Carnium

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks Aphrodite Mae :thumbsup:
This should be a sticky as many AACW players will miss it otherwise.

ColDad
Civilian

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:07 am

Interesting....

Rafiki

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:52 am

Carnium wrote:This should be a sticky as many AACW players will miss it otherwise.

[color="Blue"]Indeed :) [/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

count taaffe
Sergeant

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:53 am

Dearest Aphrodite!

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Picaron, of the Spanish forum, has created a wonderful summary of changes in the game that affect how you play it. This inspired Dixicrat and myself to do the same thing, for the English-speaking forums.

This document summarizes most of the "big" changes in the game that have been made since the manual was last updated in late June, 2007. We hope it's useful for you!

As I just returned from AGEOD's WW1 to AACW ;) I stumbled accross your message here and I would like to express my thanks to you and your husband for this very helpful summary :coeurs:

johnnycai
Major

Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi,
This is good work and very helpful to remind us what changes there have been. The river blocking changes that has been added should also be included, currently factors affecting crossing rivers are only discussed in the Terrain type 'effect on Attacker/Defender' area in the manual.

Chamberlain
Captain

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:04 am

Here is another 'Thank You' Aphrodite Mae for taking the time to put this together !!!

:hat: :hat:

Chamberlain

MrT
Colonel

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:27 am

ty and ty.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Redeemer: Yes! And now my PGII won't play on my winxp system?! t

Aphrodite Mae

Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:37 pm

To all who've responded with "thanks"...
...you're quite welcome, and thank you! :)

It's nice to have little "pats on the back" from people, when you spend a lot of time and effort on something. :)
Aphrodite Mae

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 am

You explained the meaning of the damage "#/##", which the tutorial indicates. Does anyone know what the following line in the Unit Detail screen means: "Assault 7/7"? Not Assault Damage, Assault.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:54 am

I noticed the Options include "small delay", "medium delay", and "long delay" in the context of Strategic Rating affecting engagement. Ahh, the wording gets awkward. Let me try this: Does this simply affect the discrepancy between, say, McClellan and Grant in terms of overall effectiveness?

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:06 am

deleted

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:45 am

enf91 wrote:You explained the meaning of the damage "#/##", which the tutorial indicates. Does anyone know what the following line in the Unit Detail screen means: "Assault 7/7"? Not Assault Damage, Assault.

Is there really no answer to this question? By the way, I noticed the stat increases with experience.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:33 am

Does putting a unit on "sentry status" do anything besides remove it from being found by e,r,t,y? I saw something in the 1.13 patch thread about "long range defense" and I have no idea what is being referred to.

Rafiki

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Can't say I've heard of that; AFAIK, "sentry" just takes you out of the erty-rotation.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

BigDuke66
General

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:08 am

I have to ask because I'm a bit irritated about the details on the unit screen.

-Offensive Fire = How successful the unit is in fire combat in offensive posture
-Defensive Fire = How successful the unit is in fire combat in defensive posture
-Assault = Used when range drops to zero, fire combat stops and melee combat starts and...???
-Ranged Damage = During fire combat number of kills inflicted and number of cohesion loss inflicted if successful hitting the enemy
-Assault Damage = During melee combat number of kills inflicted and amount of cohesion loss inflicted if successful hitting the enemy

Is that correct?

If so what does "Assault: X/X" stand for?
Is it "How successful the unit is in melee combat in offensive/defensive posture" or something else?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Dixicrat
General

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:53 pm

What does "gamey" mean? And what's an "exploit"?

An Exploit is a way to capitalize on a weakness in the game in such a way that the result is not historical at best, and wildly outrageous at worst.

For example, Strategic Redeployment has an exploit. Support units with 20/20 supply (Medical units, Naval Engineers, etc.) can be used to resupply out of supply units, even if the support unit has no other value to the stack that its resupplying.

To perform this exploit:
Transfer the fully supplied support unit to an out of supply stack by using Strategic Redeployment. (You'll need to have at least 25% military control of the region, to do so.) The next turn, its supply will be shared with the other units in its stack. The exploit is completed when you send the unit back to wherever it came from, the next turn. Resupplied, it can be used again.

Obviously, using exploits is considered poor form, among experienced players.

"Gamey" refers to using exploits and your knowledge of game mechanics in a way that's contrary to the spirit of the game. For example, actually using the exploit that I described would be considered Gamey.

You don't have to use an exploit to be gamey. We all are gamey, to some extent. After all, after you've played the game for awhile, you know what units are going to show up where and when, and you know what the events will be. Does this shape your decision making? If it does, then (technically at least) you're being gamey.

The exploit that I mentioned is currently being examined by the AACW Beta Team to see how it can be addressed. Soooo... sorry to pop your balloon, but you won't be able to use it much longer. ;)

Do you know of any exploits that you haven't seen mentioned, anywhere else? Post them here! The AACW Beta team will work to find a fix!

And who knows... the Queen might even give you a medal, for your "patriotism". :)
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]
Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Bravo, Dixi! :coeurs:

We will be vigilant without let our guard down! ;)

:wavey:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chuske
Lieutenant

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:19 pm

Dear Dixiecrat,

I can't get your Basic Training for AACW newcomers to work keeps telling me I don't have permission to view the page. Can you tell me if your guide still exists and how to get it working?

Thanks

Jon

Jim-NC

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Chuske,

Welcome to the forums. :wavey: You will find a welcome place, full of information about the game, with lots of people who want to help.

The search function will be your friend.

Enjoy your stay.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lodilefty

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Chuske wrote:Dear Dixiecrat,

I can't get your Basic Training for AACW newcomers to work keeps telling me I don't have permission to view the page. Can you tell me if your guide still exists and how to get it working?

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon. Welcome to the world of AGEOD.

Oh, it's still there, but I think this explains why (sort of), as the Social Group likely gets the same rules as PM restriction.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=173066&postcount=1
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Chuske
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks for the welcome and pointer to how to overcome new member restrictions.... 3 more posts and 2 days to go!

Confederate
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Whoa for a while here I thought the thread was dead :P
- Confederate

WildCat
Conscript

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:24 am

In order to keep this thread alive and put up my first post (so I can work on getting to see the no doubt excellent beginners guide) I offer this post!

anjou
Lieutenant

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:18 am

This has been a great deal of help to me. Thanks all

Taillebois
General of the Army

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 pm

How do I delay movement? e.g. if somewhere is 7 days away how do I get them to stay put for 7 days and move days 8-15?

I tried reading movement bit in the manual and searching forum before coming on this thread.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:27 am

Hi Taillebois! :)

For what you say, I understand that you want to move to a region that is 7 days away, but you want to get there the 15th day instead of the 7th day. Am I right?

Well, you could move around other regions to "spend" some time and get there the 15th day. You can also go a region backwards and then go forward with the same purpose.

If you want to synchronize the movements of Corps with its Army, or the movements of Corps belonging to the same Army (between them) you can use the proper special order:

The synchronized move.

From the AACWWiki: "Synchronized move: If in the same region, the army HQ and all subordinate corps will move together (at the pace of the slowest corps). Note: This is selected by default. In addition, when the army HQ moves, all subordinate corps in the region will automatically synchronize without needing to use this special order."
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:54 am

Sadly, I don't think there is a way to make an army "wait and then move" :(

Taillebois
General of the Army

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:09 am

Thanks for the replies. At least I hadn't missed " to pause a unit press 'pause' " or some such.

jimapp
Civilian

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi,

Just attempted to access this link of yours as I am a newbie to AACW - owned the game for over a year....could not understand how to play..but now since I have been enjoying HOI I am feeling up to being able to take this on! Getting "Access Denied"
Jim

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”