mikee64
Brigadier General

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:50 am

Ok here is the save, this is a pbem so if you are one of my playing partners I would appreciate you not opening.... the fort I'm attempting to build is in New Orleans. I've tried everything I can think of and should have all required resources.
Attachments
Transport_Fort.zip
(501.72 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Mike

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:54 am

mikee64 wrote:Ok here is the save, this is a pbem so if you are one of my playing partners I would appreciate you not opening.... the fort I'm attempting to build is in New Orleans. I've tried everything I can think of and should have all required resources.

You can't build a fort with a naval\river transport element. If you stack them together your guns will be 'on board' the ships. Just use a regular supply train they are so cheap now anyway...the difference is only marginal.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

mikee64
Brigadier General

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:18 am

Thanks for the reply WB but if true the docs for the current version are incorrect - it clearly states you can use naval transports or wagons as long as you have 4 supply elements. Scroll up a little in this thread and you can see where I compare the cost of ships vs. wagons. Not exactly inconsequential IMO.

edit>
But even at 4 elements if using wagons thats ~$40k (depending on inflation) 20CS and 20WS just for the supply elements. Thats a big chunk of resources for the CSA. Using river transports is ~50% cheaper but obviously you can't do this everywhere.

Here is the cost comparison, roughly. Maybe I am confusing depots with forts but I thought the recent supply element cost changes applied to both.

Simple question: has anyone ever built a fort using ships as the supply elements?
Mike

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:32 am

Hmm okay my reasoning is wrong then. The 'build fort' special order isn't available when the stack is a fleet.

I'm guessing this would require a game engine change and not database rework. I would prefer no more .exe changes as there are sooooo many new bugs that get introduced when it happens.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."

mikee64
Brigadier General

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:00 am

W.Barksdale wrote: I would prefer no more .exe changes as there are sooooo many new bugs that get introduced when it happens.

I agree. I just want a clear understanding of how it works/should work under the current version.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:10 am

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks for checking it Gray. Given the lack of an answer to my question about anyone having used ships to build a fort, I am assuming the answer is "no".

Do I need to email Pocus or will you let him know or point him here?
Mike

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:59 pm

mikee64 wrote:Thanks for checking it Gray. Given the lack of an answer to my question about anyone having used ships to build a fort, I am assuming the answer is "no".

I told you that the build fort special order isn't even available on stacks thatt are fleets :cool: Sorry it was an implied answer...

mikee64
Brigadier General

Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:42 pm

WB, if that is the case and it is WAD then it's fine with me... but again I have seen it stated in several places recently that it takes 4 supply elements to build a depot or a fort - in which case any supply elements should suffice... but apparently ships work for depots but not forts.

And yes, I slightly mis-read your earlier post on it. But thanks for the reply. Still looking for a game maybe next summer after school when it all works perfectly as a game and history. :D
Mike

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:24 am

I think that you are supposed to be able to use river\naval transports to build the fort, however, it's mos def not working. I imagine this requires a game engine change to add the build fort special order to a fleet stack.

Gray_Lensman

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:35 am

Deleted

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”