SleeStak
Corporal

Naval Strategy Ideas - How do you use your navy?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:19 pm

After running into some surprises making amphibious landings and dealing with supply, I started checking forum posts for advice. Reading the posts, I've discovered that many of the players posting on this board are more aggressive, especially as the South, than I.

As the North, I tend to use my ocean going navy to blockade the South, both brown and blue water, and supply amphibious landings with an eye for taking major southern ports. As the south, my only use for my ocean going navy is to blockade run (I substitute this for industrial investment) and occassionally attack Northern brown water blockading. I also usually try to develop an ironclad fleet to contest the James and a much smaller one to protect the mouth of the Missippi but my investments are generally modest.

I'm curious how everyone else uses their navy as the South and the North. Especially in PBEM games. What goals do you have for your naval forces and how much do you invest in the Navy. I've always had some difficulting getting decisive results out of my navy and I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Well, I'm afraid I'm not in a position to offer very good advice, since I invest in ships mostly because I think they're cool, and I haven't played a PBEM game yet. I only ever play the CSA, and I use my navy much the same way you do - blockade runners as a substitute for industrialization, ironclad fleets in Virginia and Louisiana. I don't really expect decisive results from them, however - and I think ironclads are a bit too weak in the game.

Against a human opponent, the only thing I can suggest would be to pick a theatre (brown water or blue water, Mississippi or James, etc.), and focus on it. No sense dividing your forces since the Union will probably always have a bigger navy. Try to make them divide their forces while you concentrate yours. If you're focusing on the James River, maybe keep it as a Fleet-in-Being? Let the Union player know it's there so he can divert forces to counter it, then leave it in port most of the time. By all means gamble it if you think it could be decisive on the Peninsula, but otherwise, keep your shiny expensive ships safe - they won't give much of a return on your investment at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay. However, you might be better off focusing on the Mississippi, especially if the Union player is using the Anaconda strategy. In that case I would be slightly more aggressive in the brown water defense, and try to keep them near forts with coastal artillery.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:31 pm

John Sedgwick wrote:Well, I'm afraid I'm not in a position to offer very good advice, since I invest in ships mostly because I think they're cool, and I haven't played a PBEM game yet. I only ever play the CSA, and I use my navy much the same way you do - blockade runners as a substitute for industrialization, ironclad fleets in Virginia and Louisiana. I don't really expect decisive results from them, however - and I think ironclads are a bit too weak in the game.

Against a human opponent, the only thing I can suggest would be to pick a theatre (brown water or blue water, Mississippi or James, etc.), and focus on it. No sense dividing your forces since the Union will probably always have a bigger navy. Try to make them divide their forces while you concentrate yours. If you're focusing on the James River, maybe keep it as a Fleet-in-Being? Let the Union player know it's there so he can divert forces to counter it, then leave it in port most of the time. By all means gamble it if you think it could be decisive on the Peninsula, but otherwise, keep your shiny expensive ships safe - they won't give much of a return on your investment at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay. However, you might be better off focusing on the Mississippi, especially if the Union player is using the Anaconda strategy. In that case I would be slightly more aggressive in the brown water defense, and try to keep them near forts with coastal artillery.

The big reason to focus on the Mississippi is that the Union can't send their ocean fleet up there. You have a much better chance against their river fleet. Plus there's a lot more opportunities to block crossings and prevent riverine movement.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:57 pm

The big reason to focus on the Mississippi is that the Union can't send their ocean fleet up there. You have a much better chance against their river fleet. Plus there's a lot more opportunities to block crossings and prevent riverine movement.

Very good points. The OP also mentioned a modest investment - I would suggest you "go big or go home." If you want decisive results that means total riverine superiority (at least locally, maybe not everwhere in the Mississippi watershed), anything less would be a waste of your resources in my opinion. If you're stingy with your navy you won't be able to depend on it for much more than reconnaissance duties or minor harassment.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 pm

SleeStak wrote:As the North, I tend to use my ocean going navy to blockade the South, both brown and blue water, and supply amphibious landings with an eye for taking major southern ports. As the south, my only use for my ocean going navy is to blockade run (I substitute this for industrial investment) and occassionally attack Northern brown water blockading. I also usually try to develop an ironclad fleet to contest the James and a much smaller one to protect the mouth of the Missippi but my investments are generally modest.

Blockading is good. Concentrate on Richmond and securing the James ( this will have to be done together with land forces on the peninsula/Norfolk side). After this move down the coast.

For the rebels, get as much artillery as you can to contest the above, if you have some resources left over after you have enough (do you ever?) ground forces then maybe buy some ironclads.

SleeStak wrote:I'm curious how everyone else uses their navy as the South and the North. Especially in PBEM games. What goals do you have for your naval forces and how much do you invest in the Navy. I've always had some difficulting getting decisive results out of my navy and I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

It really depends on what strategy you are running and the strategy of your opponent. Almost anything can work given the right circumstances.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Carrington
Captain

Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:08 am

The USN is an awfully nice way of convincing low-initiative union generals to be active for a turn.

'Lil Mac tend to do a lot of boat-hopping.

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”