xpyre
Private

Noobie question on how to actually win.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:17 pm

I'm totally new to the game... and this forum. So I apologise for any faux pas I make.

I've been playing a game for a few days as CSA on April 1861 v 1.13b on default difficulty and settings.

I've taken every single objective, so I'm sat in New York, Washington, Louisville, St Louis the lot. Yet I'm still only on 160 morale and the US is on 55. (Victory is set at 225/40 so I'm a way off winning too!)

It is approaching the end of 1865 and I've got 7,000K+ victory points (vs the US on about 2.5K)

Am I missing something? Is this normal?

I guess I'll just have to take the "points victory" but it is a little hollow after consistantly being ahead since the start.

I've taken the full draft when it is available and exceptional taxes too. So that obviously has harmed my NM but even so it feels unrealistic. (I've also taken the cotton embargo ASAP too so that counteracts them to some extent).

Thanks for pointing out anything I've missed...

X

soloswolf
General of the Army

Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:14 pm

Sometimes that's just the way the VP/NM cookie crumbles. :)

What you should be focused on is that you are doing so well in your campaign! As you move forward you will find ways to pin the enemy down and gain some big results from more of your battles and that may swing it to a clear victory.

But you certainly are doing very well if this is one of your first games and you have pushed so far North. Keep it up!
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

xpyre
Private

Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks.

It is a great game and I enjoy it immensely.

I guess I was just double checking that this behaviour was normal for CSA.
I'd played a couple of other games on previous versions as USA and won much, much quicker (in just a couple of years). AS USA if you knockout Richmond, Memphis and Nashville then you're usually across the finish line. The CSA seem to have a much harder time of it (I thought the USA morale would be much less resiliant).

One thing I have noted between the way I played the two sides is that as USA I tended to fight much more... knowing that I could suffer the losses more.
As CSA I tend to avoid battle, look to isolate and cut off supply, and just wait for the USA army to wither away. Maybe this approach doesn't give the same NM boost as a mass fight!

Another thing just struck me...
I managed to get FI. Having spotted all those replacements and two star generals I decided to use the British as my front line assault troops - topping up their corps with CSA troups. Does anyone know whether there is less NM benefit from a "British win" than a "CSA win" ?

X

Coffee Sergeant
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:07 pm

For some reason the Sudden Death is broken in the main campaign. If you have every single objective, the game should end, but it doesn't, at least last time I checked.

Rafiki

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:09 pm

xpyre wrote:I'm totally new to the game... and this forum. So I apologise for any faux pas I make.

Welcome to the forums :)

Don't worry; be happy. From the looks of it, you'll do just fine :thumbsup:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”