jap412
Conscript

Win 7 (64) install issue

Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:31 pm

I have wiped my computer, new 500g ssd, and reinstalled win 7 (64). I had no problem running ACW under the same os before. I have attempted to install on a second drive which I had done before. Now when I try to install it the install hangs right after the desktop icon appears. I have tried compatibility modes / admin rights etc with no resolve. I installed BoA2 with no problem. Any thoughts?

JP

lodilefty

Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:48 pm

I suspect it's trying to run AGESettings to get your Serial input.

Try all the tricks here [sections 2 & 3]:
http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Vista_Saved_Games

[TABLE]

[TR]
[TD="width: 99, bgcolor: #b3b300"][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

jap412
Conscript

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Well, I tied those items, turned off anti-virus and such with no luck. I do agree that it seems to be hanging on AGESettings. It was no prob for BoA2. I will try installing my other age programs. I was hoping to avoid re-installing the computer again. Other games and software have installed and run fine.

jap412
Conscript

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Ok, I now have BoA2, Napoleon's Campaigns, and Rise of Prussia installed patched up and all are running fine on the same drive. This issue only applies to AACW which is one of my all time favorite games.

JP

lodilefty

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 pm

You can do one of two things:

1. Use explorer to navigate to the installation directory and directly click on/run AGESettings

or

2. Continue your navigation to the subfolder \ACW\Settings and use a text editor [NotePad, etc] to open General.opt
In that file near the bottom you'll see:
7. Serial number (unencrypted, keep this file for you only)
Serial =

Type in your serial # [case dependant, with hyphens], save and exit.
Run AACW...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

jap412
Conscript

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:45 pm

When I double click on AGESettings the cursor turns to a circle like it is loading then stops and nothing happens. I manually entered the serial number as in item 2. Same thing happens when I double click on AACW as AGESettings. I appreciate your help lodilefty.

Pocus

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 pm

the applications are blocked by either the UAC or your anti virus it seems.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jap412
Conscript

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 pm

I turned off Avast and Spybot and my UAC is set to never notify. Maybe the install file has an issue. I'm at a loss on this one.

Pocus

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:27 am

Sorry for the delay, was on travel.

We had a few time this issue, caused by a driver problem (audio, DVD writer, etc.), not a video driver.

Do you know how to terminate process? We can try that, you would be surprised about how weird solutions may be sometime. You shut down a DVD update driver, and suddenly something else works. Contact me by mail, I'll send you a program to get a report on your processes: pocus@ageod.net

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”