SamSmith
Civilian

Game will not launch

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:22 am

Hi all--

I bought this game online about a month ago and since then I have not been able to make it run. My problem seems to be similar to ess1's problem posted a little bit further down the page.

I have Windows XP service pack 3. When I try to open the game it does not open. I can see it as a process in my task manager, but it always stops somewhere between 1,000 and 4,000K. The same thing happens when I try to open the Configuration utility.

I've tried reinstalling multiple times to different folders, tried running the game in service pack 2 compatibility mode, and tried running it with UAC turned off. Nothing changes.

Are there more things that I can try? I'd love to be able to finally play this game.

All the best,
Sam

Pocus

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:09 am

Your lock-up is probably the result of a program in memory that is preventing the game to execute to the end. Try switching off the internet, then disable your anti virus or any other security programs (be sure to have logged off the internet, wireless included), and try again...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

SamSmith
Civilian

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:26 am

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried this, going so far as to uninstall my anti-virus software (symantec), turning off windows defender/firewall, and still I am faced with the same problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

Pocus

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:06 am

Symantec? shivers... We had perhaps a dozen of issues with Symantec software since we started Ageod.

Please download HiJackThis:
[ATTACH]19689[/ATTACH]

Then disable your anti virus (turn off the internet). My bet is that some left over modules of Symantec are still there.

This program logs the processes running currently on your pc as well as the programs which are loaded when the PC is started. Simply un-zip and run it (no installation required). (This program is a free tool provided by TrendSecure, a company which produces security software. http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools).
To get the report file:

1. Start the HiJackThis.exe.
2. Click on the button 'Do a system scan and save logfile'.
3. Save the file.
4. Quit HiJackThis. Do NOT do any changes with the Fix Checked-Button unless you know what you are doing! Please scan only.

Then send me the file (pocus@ageod.net) or post it here. The log is showing what is running in the memory of your PC, we will see if there are leftovers.
Attachments
HiJackThis.rar
(305.52 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

SamSmith
Civilian

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:04 am

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:02:37 PM, on 8/30/2012
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16448)
Boot mode: Normal

Note from Pocus: <removed infos and saved on my computer>

Here is the logfile. Thanks so much for helping with this. It really says a lot about you and the company.

--Sam

Pocus

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:00 am

You welcome. We will refund you if you are still stuck (if you bought from our website, otherwise we can't do much), but saving a sell is not my aim here... I just hate as a player myself to get frustrated... you buy a game, you can't play it, darn!

Back to your problem, you have the whole Avira antivirus suite running, did you know that?

Can you process as usual (i.e log off from the Internet, be sure to not have wireless still on), disable Symantec and then deinstall completely Avira, unless you want to keep Avira and deinstall Symantec, but having 2 protections system on the same computer is generally not good for stability.

Then reboot, launch again Hijack and see if these lines don't exist anymore ... they should not as you removed Avira. Alternatively you can just try to shut down Avira without deinstalling it, if you want to keep it.

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe

O23 - Service: Avira Mail Protection (AntiVirMailService) - Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avmailc.exe
O23 - Service: Avira Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira Realtime Protection (AntiVirService) - Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Avira Web Protection (AntiVirWebService) - Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\AVWEBGRD.EXE

If this is the culprit and want to keep it, you can see if you can add the name of the game to the exception list of the antivirus. (same for Symantec by the way)

SamSmith
Civilian

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:47 pm

It worked! Turned out I just had to put Avira in "game mode." Thanks for all of your help!

Pocus

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:29 am

You welcome, on to playing now!

I advise you play Bull Run, once for each side, then perhaps Shiloh before going to the campaign.

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”