SteveArrow
Conscript

AACW will not start

Sun May 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Long time reader of the forums. Printed many of the old forums and AARs, still have many from runyan99, Hobbes, and Gray_Lensman (he had less than 400 posts at that time). Thus, I've been playing a long time.

Recently decided to start playing my favorite game and it won't start. Hmm, figured something must have corrupted during my break-from-the-game so I uninstalled and reinstalled. Still won't work. Here is what is happening: I start the game and it instantly crashes with Vista dialog AACW.exe has stopped working. If I try to restart it immediately after the dialog closes, same result and then I get a "Failed to initialise DirectX Audio. DirectX8 may not be installed." and a Runtime Error 216 at 00403ED6; but this doesn't happen the first time after a reboot or if I wait a while.

Here's what I've done so far:
- Installed and uninstalled numerous times
- Used install different paths (\Program Files, \Games\AGEOD) on the installs
- Checked for MMSWITCH.AX (not found)
- Patched to 1.15
- Updated video drivers, downgraded video drivers
- Updated audio drivers
- Installed Directx 9.0c
- Installed D3DRM.DDL in the AACW.EXE directory
- Installed D3DRM.DDL in the Windows directory
- Turned off the Vista UAT
- Turned off McAfee
- Edited the GENERAL.OPT for LoadSounds and PlayMusic = 0
- Edited the GENERAL.OPT for LogBatch=1 (no logs getting generated)
- Changed screen resolution to 1024x768
- Googled everything I can think of

I'm at the end of solutions that I can find or think of. Anyone else have an idea?

VISTA 64 SP2
4GB Memory
DirectX 11
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 8.17.0012.7061
Creative SB X-Fi 6.00.0001.1375

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi SteveArrow! :)

Welcome to the Ageod Forums, "officially"! ;) :thumbsup:

Sorry if I have not understood you, but have you tried to install the game in C:\ directly?
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SteveArrow
Conscript

Sun May 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Ethan wrote:Hi SteveArrow! :)

Welcome to the Ageod Forums, "officially"! ;) :thumbsup:

Sorry if I have not understood you, but have you tried to install the game in C:\ directly?

Thanks for the reply, Ethan. No. I tried C:\Games and C:\Games\AGEOD. I haven't tried just C:\. I don't think that the path is the problem but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 16, 2011 12:08 am

OK. Try it and check out this, from post number 7 onwards... Perhaps be resolved. ;)

Good luck! :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SteveArrow
Conscript

Mon May 16, 2011 12:34 am

Ethan wrote:OK. Try it and check out this, from post number 7 onwards... Perhaps be resolved. ;)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Installed to C:\ and uninstalled and tried E:\ since it is a different drive. No luck. However, I did get a log file. I also saw the 'ageod' logo screen this time instead of not seeing anything. Here's the log:
5:29:39 PM (Reporting) Loading general settings
5:29:39 PM (Reporting) USettings.LoadSettings 75 settings loaded, out of 6 settings files.
5:29:39 PM (Reporting) Loading Localized Strings
5:29:41 PM (Reporting) ULocalize.LoadLocalStrings: System local strings loaded from E:\AGEod's American Civil War\ACW\Settings\LocalStrings__AGE.csv
5:29:41 PM (Reporting) Loading Display Options
5:29:41 PM (Reporting) Entering DirectX Initializations
5:29:42 PM (Reporting) TAbiDefs.Create 76 Abilities loaded, out of 76 abilities files.
5:29:42 PM (Reporting) Loading Terrains Definitions
5:29:42 PM (Reporting) TTerrainDefs.Create 35 Terrains definitions loaded, out of 335 terrains files.
5:29:49 PM (Reporting) TListModels.Create 1001 models loaded, out of 1001 models files in 6419 ms
5:29:49 PM (Reporting) TStrucDefs.LoadFromFile 5 StrucDef loaded, out of 5 StrucDef files.
5:29:49 PM (Reporting) TFactionDefs.LoadFromFile 8 FactionDef loaded, out of 8 FactionDef files.
5:29:49 PM (Reporting) Media Librarian Initialization
5:29:49 PM (Reporting) Application.Initialize OK
5:29:50 PM (Reporting) TSplash.Create OK
5:29:50 PM (Reporting) TSplash.Show OK
5:29:50 PM (Reporting) TSplash.Repaint OK

I can now type my 31 digit serial number from memory now.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 16, 2011 12:56 am

Sorry Steve, but I can not think of anything else to do. Maybe Gray or Pocus can help you to solve the problem. :confused:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Durk

Mon May 16, 2011 3:50 am

Steve,
My solution in both Vista and Windows 7 when I had install problems was to run as an administrator. While this is not an obvious system option, it stops some of the windows processes and allows for a clean install. I do not see that you have tried this yet, so give it a go.
Need to invoke the admin option with a right click just before opening. If as a download, when the option to run is offered. If from a disc, when you first start.
good luck

SteveArrow
Conscript

Tue May 17, 2011 3:05 am

Durk wrote:Steve,
My solution in both Vista and Windows 7 when I had install problems was to run as an administrator. While this is not an obvious system option, it stops some of the windows processes and allows for a clean install. I do not see that you have tried this yet, so give it a go.
Need to invoke the admin option with a right click just before opening. If as a download, when the option to run is offered. If from a disc, when you first start.
good luck

Thanks for the assist, Dirk. Unfortunately, I have tried that. Both on the install and the patch and when executing. I also changed the compatability to Win XP.

I appreciate the suggestion. If you (or anybody else) have another, please send it on. Not desperate enough to reformat yet, but getting there.

SteveArrow
Conscript

Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 pm

Spent most of the day on this. Scanned the registry and attempted to fix what I could with free cleaners. I added some DLL's to the ACW directory. Did multiple uninstalls again. And much more.

Here is what I have discovered:
- believe it to be related to the Media Library since that is where the log (same as posted above) stops and that is the next step
- setting the general.opt to 0 on sounds and music does not affect the outcome
- I did get further to a ACW load screen but it crashes as soon as it gets there
- after adding the patch for 1.15, it crashes before the AGEOD logo screen so the patch makes it worse
- it is isolated to my computer (obviously) as it installed and ran on my wife's computer

Not sure what to do next. I do not want to lose my settings but I'm leaning towards a clean OS reinstall or a Win7 install. Suggestions?

Pocus

Wed May 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Alas I don't see much to counsel here, you seem to have followed almost all tracks to follow, sorry :(

Perhaps it is a problem with sounds. If your motherboard has an embedded sound processor, then try deactivating your SB sound card and activating the sound chipset instead. AACW will need a sound device to run, but one compliant with DirectX 8 specs, so perhaps here lies the problem, you SB is too recent?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

SteveArrow
Conscript

Wed May 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Pocus wrote:Alas I don't see much to counsel here, you seem to have followed almost all tracks to follow, sorry :(

Perhaps it is a problem with sounds. If your motherboard has an embedded sound processor, then try deactivating your SB sound card and activating the sound chipset instead. AACW will need a sound device to run, but one compliant with DirectX 8 specs, so perhaps here lies the problem, you SB is too recent?

Thanks for the suggestion, Pocus.

I don't believe it is the SB because I was able to play for a long time. I took a break from AACW for a while and when I tried to start it recently, the errors happened. I guess that's my fault...I shouldn't have taken that break. :bonk: I may try some different drivers.

I uninstalled my sound card yesterday and same results. I'm determined to get this working so we will see what today's activities produce.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 18, 2011 7:17 pm

If the problem persists and if I were you... I would format my PC.

If you get fix it, please let us know. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Any chance DIrect X is the issue? I get about a crash a week and the reason given is always related to Direct X. So, try Uninstalling Direct X and reinstall the game, letting it add those files.

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”